Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 10-30-2019, 12:11 AM   #1
Illiance

Default Mezzanine File for Amazon

I just found out that the aggregator I was using to manage my documentary on Amazon Prime filed for bankruptcy. I'm in the process of resubmitting the documentary to Amazon and they need a Mezzanine File and I'm not sure if Edius generates that kind of file. Before I had to submit a ProRes 422 file to my aggregator. Any help would be most appreciated.
Laptop: Edius 8.3 / ALIENWARE 17 - Intel i7-4910MQ Processor 2.9GHz 32GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz RAM, 2TB RAID 0 5400RPM + 80GB mSATA SSD Caching, Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) 17.3" WLED FHD , 8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M Graphics
"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music"~John Milton
Illiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:20 AM   #2
LewS

Found this online:

A mezzanine file is a compressed video file that is visually indistinguishable from the full-resolution master that is exported from your editing program, but smaller in size. Itís not a specific file type but rather a description of a general set of parameters. When working with your internal video staff, or with an external production agency, you want to request a mezzanine file format from them as part of their file delivery. If your finished video is 1080p, you would likely ask for an MP4, H.264, MOV, or a WMV at 1920x1080, with a bit rate at about 10 Mbps (megabits per second). These formats are very common and supported by most platforms. The bitrate determines the visual quality, and 10 Mbps will give you high visual quality at a manageable file size. Parameters may vary slightly depending on footage and use case, but in general, this is a good place to start.

My guess is your Prores file will probably fit this description.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:11 AM   #3
Illiance

Thanks for the reply. I'll submit the ProRes file and see if it flies. So much to learn... so little time.
Laptop: Edius 8.3 / ALIENWARE 17 - Intel i7-4910MQ Processor 2.9GHz 32GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz RAM, 2TB RAID 0 5400RPM + 80GB mSATA SSD Caching, Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) 17.3" WLED FHD , 8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M Graphics
"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music"~John Milton
Illiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:40 AM   #4
BernH

Just a little info to explain the different file categories

Files are basically broken up into 3 categories.

Acquisition (ie. files from camera. Tend to be heavily compressed, such as h264, avchd, etc., to allow extended recording times without having to change cards every 10 minutes)

Mazzanine (ie. files you edit with or master to like ProRes, DNxHD/HR, GVHQ/X, etc)

Distribution (ie. XDCAMHD50 MXF OP1a for broadcast, H264/mp4 for web, etc)

There is some crossover in the files as you can see. For example, some higher end cameras shoot into mezzanine files to avoid the high compression of the h264 and avc files, in an attempt to create a higher quality end product.

The higher compressed h264/avc files were originally designed as distribution files, but as compression became faster and the desire for longer shooting times became more prevelant, these file types crept into the acquisition end of the spectrum.

The Mezzanine files (mezzanine is defined as a floor half way between two others and in this case it is the file type in the middle) have traditionally been the highest quality, least compressed file without going full uncompressed, making them the easiest to manipulate and edit, but the unfortunate things a lot of people don't understand is that you can never make the image better than the acquisition file. A conversion into a mezzanine file will be easier to work with and will not degrade due to manipulation as fast as the heavier compressed camera files will, but every time a file is decompressed, changed and re-compressed, there is some degradation from the original. It is similar in concept to generation loss in analog tape dubbing.

Most bigger VOD services want this type of file so their encoder engines have as good a starting point as possible for their multi bitrate versions. A lot of broadcasters that run VOD/OTT services will use their broadcast MXF OP1a files. In terms of broadcast quality, Prores 422 and XDCAMHD50 are both considered broadcast quality, but the XDCAMHD50 is just a little over 30% of the file size.
Edius WG 9.52.5886, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS