Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 07-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
Rusty

Default Tutorial - Field Editing with Proxies

http://vimeo.com/channels/edius6
Be sure to subscribe!

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
Twain - "Glances at History" 1906
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
Fenek

Transitions will not better work with Proxy ?
Fenek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenek View Post
Transitions will not better work with Proxy ?
I'm the one in the tutorial so I can tell you what I know and learned about it all in my testing before creating the tutorial. The big place proxy mode helps is when you have multiple layers like a multicam or layered video where the data streams are big. Proxy mode rocks in those situations.

It does make editing single layers easier as well but not the huge difference it makes with multiple streams. I found that on DSLR footage I get to add a few more filters to the clip in proxy mode before it starts slowing down. It will make editing on a dual core laptop much easier. Depending on the transitions you may see improvements or not. If you are using Prodad or third party stuff or some of the alpha transitions you may not see a huge improvement as the transition is processor intensive no matter what the footage is. The smaller clips will help it out some but the magic of the transition still has to get processed. If you are using basic dissolves and normal transitions you should see the same improvement you see with the clips.

The thing I like about proxy mode is I can use it instead of HQ to easily edit my projects on any computer. That means I have lots of extra drive space now as I used to convert everything to HQ. Now I have a bunch of drives getting alot less use. I haven't created HQ files since 6.0 was released. That's a nice feature.

Proxy mode is a great addition to Edius. Especially if you do lots of multi-layer edits and don't have a big computer. Your improved performance with transitions will be mixed based on which ones you are using.

Laptop. Sony Vaio. CPU- i7-Gen 3, 8gb RAM, 1tbb 5400rpm hard drive, AMD GPU
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS