Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products

Old 09-11-2018, 10:12 PM   #1
Liverpool TV

Default Best free VST limiter plugin for Edius.

Here is a guide that I've done which shows what I believe is the best free VST limiter plugin.

For the guide I've not used my DAW but instead used Edius as the host, this will hopefully be useful to other Edius users.

This plugin is simply amazing. In the video I'm using it to manage dialogue but it is just as awesome on any audio content. It's also brilliant at setting an absolute ceiling output that'll also help to avoid clipping and it's also able to detect and correct inter-sample distortion/misstracking which further helps when mastering to 0db.

This plugin allows me to mix dialogue and other fairly complex audio mixes from within Edius without the need to include my DAW in the post process.

If anyone tries this and decides to use it, please consider donating to the plugin creator.

https://youtu.be/JXqTIOvQYsI

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
PaulTV

Hey Dave,

Very informative, and what a great plug! I've been testing it against my usual WaveArts suite - specifically FinalPlug which I've used as my stock in trade limiter for dialogue for donkeys years.

It appears that Loudmax has a slightly lower latency which is always good, and has amazing compression abilities - pushing very hard by setting the threshold to -30dB creates huge pumping and background issues in FinalPlug and almost nothing with Loudmax, the result whilst noisy could be used at a push - top marks to these guys and a good spot by you as it plugs happily into Edius.

Ta for the heads up and donation sent - well worth it.

Paul :-)

System 1: Edius 7.5 Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk

Last edited by PaulTV; 09-12-2018 at 05:09 PM.
PaulTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #3
LewS

I agree. I have been using LoudMax for quite some time and it is indispensable.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:45 PM   #4
Bassman

Thanks for your video Dave. I already had it installed but have not used it yet. I sent some coin to Thomas as the plugin is quite impressive.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:27 PM   #5
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTV View Post
Hey Dave,

Very informative, and what a great plug! I've been testing it against my usual WaveArts suite - specifically FinalPlug which I've used as my stock in trade limiter for dialogue for donkeys years.

It appears that Loudmax has a slightly lower latency which is always good, and has amazing compression abilities - pushing very hard by setting the threshold to -30dB creates huge pumping and background issues in FinalPlug and almost nothing with Loudmax, the result whilst noisy could be used at a push - top marks to these guys and a good spot by you as it plugs happily into Edius.

Ta for the heads up and donation sent - well worth it.

Paul :-)
Alright Paul.

I started off with the first ever VST DAW, the original Cubase VST, it was after Cubase Audio. That was a while back and since then I've used loads of limiter plugins and this one is my fave.

It's great on anything for either ceiling limiting or as an extra way of summing. But it works really well over the master buss and stops the mix from clipping, even if it's not used for hard limiting/gaining.

It's also great for rounding off inter-sample peaks which is mega important when pushing 0db for a 16Bit output, just so you can use the full dynamic range and resolution without misstracking on the DAs of whatever the final mix plays out on.

It's absolutely perfect for Edius.

Just a couple of tips for other Edius users who may not be over familiar with audio, as Paul already knows all this :)

Set the ceiling output before live editing the threshold parameter as the UI can be a little unresponsive, this may just be my system. Start playback first and then open the plugin to edit the threshold, again it may just be my system but it can be a little sluggish otherwise. Having the plugins open in a separate monitor, or in a dedicated space on a single one, may get around this. I only use a single ultra wide monitor so don't usually have the space to keep anything other than the main Edius panels open.

You can also use a balance of threshold and ceiling to actually mix the levels of a few audio tracks, effectively leaving the channel gains/sliders at 0, as long as the sources aren't wildly too different in their levels. This is very similar to how a lot of classic albums were mixed, by basically having as much of the source recordings nominal/effectively normalised at source and mix with channel amps.

If you find the odd peaks in a timeline mix that would otherwise drive the mix into clipping if you raised the master. Drop the master mix sequence into another sequence and then apply LoudMax to the audio track of the sequence that's been inserted into the new sequence. This will help to limit the peak transients and allow you to raise the whole a mix a bit more without clipping. It'll also help to iron stuff out and can also be used drive the overall mix if needed. Be carful though to not squash or squeeze the life/dynamic range out of your tracks or mix. In the video this what I'm talking about when saying 'over cooking'.

This is again very important when mixing to a 16Bit, or lower, resolution. Many people record and mix with a lot of the higher dynamic range not being used. This can cause issues as bit depth is directly responsible for the resolution of the dynamic range for both the source recordings and the mix output. So, the lower the bit depth the lower the dynamic range, which is another thing that LoudMax can help with. But it's always best to get these things correct at source.

This plugin can also rescue audio that's been accidentally recorded far too low, as Edius' channel gain alone would never be enough to re-summ such low level/dynamic recordings.

I'd seriously recommend that every Edius user should at least give LoudMax a try. It'll probably end up becoming your 'go to' Edius audio tool, for many uses.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:53 PM   #6
Khoi Pham

How come mine doesn't have any control on them?
Attached Images
File Type: png loudmax.png (162.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 09-13-2018, 12:19 AM   #7
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
Hi Khoi.

Not too sure why that is. I don't know what your routing is for your audio setup in that project but just in case. Load an Edius project that's only got stereo routing and try the plugin again. If that doesn't work try deleting the plugin's reference from the Edius VST section and wherever it's stored on your system and reinstall.

Cheers,
Dave.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:42 AM   #8
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
this is caused by using a UHD screen as a PC monitor

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:34 AM   #9
GrassValley_PS

Great work Dave. Very helpful for EDIUS users.

I am going to move this to the third party forum.
Main System: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB , GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, Corsair AX1200i PS, Phanteks Luxe Case, 16TB RAID (4)HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB, Corsair H115i CPU Cooler, AJA Kona 4, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Win 10
GrassValley_PS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #10
Khoi Pham

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
this is caused by using a UHD screen as a PC monitor
Oh ok that sucks. Thanks.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products