Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 11-29-2018, 05:25 AM   #1
Liverpool TV

Default Best drivers for Intensity 4K Pro.

Hi all.

What's the best driver for the Blackmagic Intensity 4K Pro for compatibility with Edius 8.5

I'm about to get hold of one mainly for HDMI capture for 1080P 60FPS. While I'm aware of certain colour range issues when capturing analogue with certain BM cards, maybe this one as well. I'm not overly concerned about this potential issue, my main concern is solid HDMI ingest.

If anyone is using one with E8.5 I'd really appreciate a heads-up on what would be the best driver to use.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:12 AM   #2
David Clarke

I mainly use E9 now, although I did just set up an EDIUS 8 system for someone with no problems.
10.9.5 is the official driver to use.
The last system I used 10.11.4 because they we using Adobe as well, and I did not have any problems, although I did not use it "in anger".
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
Liverpool TV

That's great David. Thanks.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
PaulTV

Hey Dave,

I'm stuck on 10.9.7 as newer versions totally stop my 5.1 audio out with HDMI
from the card - probably not a concern for you...but...ya never know!

Paul :-)

System 1: Edius 7.5 Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk
PaulTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
John Hooper

I am using 10.11.1 which seems to be good, although I mainly use it for playback.

BM have told me the latest driver 10.11.4 has given some issues, best to contact them if in doubt.

Also I have had problems capturing using HDMI. I wanted to transfer some recorded items from my PVR, but the HDCP prevented that.
Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor
John Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #6
Liverpool TV

Thanks Paul & John.

It looks like it's gonna be a case of **** it and see with this card. I thought it may have been the case that they'd finally settled on one solid driver but this is a BMD device, so I'm not really surprised that there'll be issues.

I'd really hoped that it would be fairly painless :( Especially considering that I've got DirectShow Capture cards working great with Edius.

John, that HDMI issue seems pretty ominous. I'm sure I'll run into HDCP issues as well.

The real annoying thing is that I've still got a Canopus/GV HDBX1000 system with a fully loaded interface box. I can get HDMI into that via a 30 HDMI to SDI adaptor, but the interface won't do 60P, presumably because it's not a broadcast standard. It's a real pity as it's the best Canopus/GV capture device they made and is still compatible with E8 but it's now being used as a door stop as I don't need all the features anymore.

I just hope I don't lose days with a BMD product, again.

Cheers,
Dave.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:14 PM   #7
David Clarke

That's funny John because I had problems with 10.11.2 which went away with 10.11.4. Dave - I would suggest you stick with 10.9.5 which are the one GV recommend (I believe) if you are just using EDIUS.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
Old 11-29-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
That's funny John because I had problems with 10.11.2 which went away with 10.11.4. Dave - I would suggest you stick with 10.9.5 which are the one GV recommend (I believe) if you are just using EDIUS.
Thanks again David.

I think it best to start off with your suggestion. As I'm not needing the card to do anything but ingest with Edius, it's unlikely that I'd need any of the improvements with later versions that would be necessary to use the card outside of Edius.

I do appreciate that other people will be using this card with other applications and would therefore probably need a different version driver that would help the card work with other stuff. Or at least find a driver version that gives balanced functionality between two or more different applications.

David. Did GV ever do a card that was capable of 60P ingest? From what I'm aware of, all their stuff was designed for proper broadcast standards. I've had three of their cards with the last one being the original Storm but none ever did 60P.

Although I could switch my GPU output to 59.94, I'm wanting to do 60 as it's the most common sync/refresh standard for most of the displays that YouTube content would be likely played on.

BTW David. When you screen capture with software do you use NVENC as the encoder? I've been using QS and X264 but have certain issues due to resolution and framerates. As QS is also handling other GUI tasks, it's being stretched a bit to much when asked to do the OBS encoding. X264 is also dropping frames unless I'm using the lowest settings, my CPU is an old i7 4790K.

I've tried NVENC with an old GTX 660 but it doesn't support certain resolutions and settings that I'm testing. I should have a GTX 1060 later today which will hopefully give me more flexibility for NVENC.

Cheers,
Dave.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #9
David Clarke

I don't think any GV stuff did 60P - the Storm 3G did 59.94 according to the specs.
I have used nVidia as the encoder and it works better for me in EDIUS than quick Sync but sometimes it is still a bit sticky. But remake it in EDIUS and it is ok. I also did some using an ATI card recently and that did seem ok.

As a lot of my videos are about EDIUS QS will be doing something when I am filming which is mainly why I do not do that.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:13 PM   #10
Liverpool TV

I've now tried four different driver installations, including those mentioned by Paul, John and David and they all work fine on my system.

Thanks for the input and advice.

Cheers,
Dave.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories