Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 01-20-2010, 02:12 AM   #1
cpompa

Default Trouble Capturing/Viewing Analog Input ADVC-100

Hi All

I have no problem converting from digital to analog, that works great.

the problem is that with an analog source, either component or s-video, all I see in the monitor is a thin vertical line (sometimes white other times differently colored, I suppose it depends on the source video) near the right of the otherwise black screen.

I tried moving all the dip switches around, I know what all of them are for except for the "NTSC Setup Level" one which is a mystery to me but none of them seem to do a bit of difference in my issue.

Is there a known problem that presents my symptoms or is my ADVC-100 busted?

Thanks in advance
cpompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:20 AM   #2
GrassValley_MN

Setup is a 7.5 IRE base level that is used for television in the US, South Korea and I expect in Mexico too. Setup is not present in Japan. So, select the setting for Setup On.

As to the video problem, can you force color bars mode on the unit to see if that works? Alternatively, you can use a known good signal source (with color bars or some other signal) to see if that works.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
cpompa

The color bars work great, and as for known input signals the best I can do for now is to check the source directly on a monitor and then connect it to the ADVC-100 also I tried different sources form different devices and still no dice, but I'll keep trying, I really don't want to throw this device away, it's been very useful over the years

thanks for your help
cpompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:26 AM   #4
GrassValley_MN

You're welcome.

Sorry to ask you more questions, but it sounds like the device was working before and then stopped working? Has the device worked on the signal sources you are using now?

The color bar test says the output portion of the ADVC is working. Either the input section is not working, or it is trouble with your source. Those are the two likely sources of the problem.

Monitors are often more "tolerant" (for lack of a better term) of marginal input signals than converters. A monitor simply has to display the source in a way that is visually meaningful. A converter must create an output signal that complies with the specification for that output type. So, a converter may be "pickier" about problems in the input signal. I am not saying that's the problem here, just mentioning it as a possibility.

If you have access to a known good signal source (such as an external test signal generator) it would be worth seeing if your ADVC could convert that signal. If not, you may be looking at getting the ADVC unit repaired or replaced.

Note that I am giving you helpful suggestions, but I am not from customer support. You may wish to consult Grass Valley support in your area or contact the dealer/store where you purchased the unit.

I hope this is helpful for you.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
kbosward

Has analog to digital capture worked before? What application are you using to perform the capture? Are you able to connect a DV camera and capture successfully from that?

Ken.
kbosward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #6
JDonRocks

Default Same issue - black screen with thin line

I'm having the same issues and haven't seen much posting about it. I've tried the switches and hitting the silver button to ensure I'm on analog. I did, remove the firewire plug RCA in and RCA out to the TV and am getting the same result; which seems to me that it's a converter problem.
Calibration color output works fine. When it's on the TV I do get a split second where the picture is correct, then goes black with the thin line.
Was hoping to work on a xmas gift - quick advice or tips will be appreciated!
JDonRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:58 AM   #7
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Try output of a rendered DV file through the ADVC to the TV with ADVC in Digital In mode, obviously.

That'll tell you whether the ADVC's codec is working. If it works, it would point to the input signal having some kind of oddity.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:54 PM   #8
JDonRocks

Default still nothing...

I attempted the digital out, but still nothing. I do, however, get a glimpse of the image when I turn the device on. Before the device switches to either digital or analog (while both lights are on) it shows on the screen, then the device switches to digital or analog and it goes away.

I don't have any S-Video cables to see if there's a problem, but I tried with 2 different RCA cables...
Old 12-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #9
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

It sounds like something might be trying to take control of the device.

Try a "simpler" capture/playback application like WinDV
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
JDonRocks

Default nothing to take control...

I went straight from DV to TV.. nothing was controlling the device. No 1344 cord used...
I'm also on a MAC. I've tried Premiere Pro, iMovie & Digital Movie Editor... no luck on any of them....

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC