Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 02:44 PM   #1
Artimedia

Default Offline Activation Edius 9 Pro

I am about to buy the Edius Pro 9 Jump Upgrade from version 3.X but, because I won't be physically near my Edius 3.X until Christmas (I'm abroad), I will now download install the Trial version and then activate it after Christmas, once I put my eyes on my Edius 3.X box.

However, regarding the activation process itself (of both the Trial and later the Jump Upgrade)... My workstation is not connected to the internet... Ever. It's a religious rule of thumb for me. Nowadays the only way of fine tuning a machine without Orwellian unwanted and unauthorized interference in one's personal, private system (for which I paid every cent)... Is to keep it physically disconnected from the Internet.

Having said that, I do have a permanent Internet connection on another computer (my Laptop). But I want to install Edius Pro 9 in my workstation, not my Laptop. How do I do that? By reading the installation instructions, I am left with the impression that I need an internet connection to activate my software... Or can I create an Edius ID in my Laptop and then transfer it to my workstation for an offline activation?

In other words: How can I activate my Edius Pro 9 on a permanently offline machine?
Old 11-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #2
DigitalDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artimedia View Post
I am about to buy the Edius Pro 9 Jump Upgrade from version 3.X but, because I won't be physically near my Edius 3.X until Christmas (I'm abroad), I will now download install the Trial version and then activate it after Christmas, once I put my eyes on my Edius 3.X box.

However, regarding the activation process itself (of both the Trial and later the Jump Upgrade)... My workstation is not connected to the internet... Ever. It's a religious rule of thumb for me. Nowadays the only way of fine tuning a machine without Orwellian unwanted and unauthorized interference in one's personal, private system (for which I paid every cent)... Is to keep it physically disconnected from the Internet.

Having said that, I do have a permanent Internet connection on another computer (my Laptop). But I want to install Edius Pro 9 in my workstation, not my Laptop. How do I do that? By reading the installation instructions, I am left with the impression that I need an internet connection to activate my software... Or can I create an Edius ID in my Laptop and then transfer it to my workstation for an offline activation?

In other words: How can I activate my Edius Pro 9 on a permanently offline machine?
Upgrade to Workgroup which just needs one activation or you will need a regular internet connection. Personally I think you are paranoid and BTW you will also need to install the devil's own Quicktime.
Incidentally, I have E3 on my telecine PC. Are you sure it is up to running E9, HD and or 4K? Mine would not be.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
Artimedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDave View Post
Upgrade to Workgroup which just needs one activation or you will need a regular internet connection.
Of course... Why didn't I think of that? All it takes is paying almost twice the price: Edius Pro 9: €269 Vs Edius Workgroup 9: €455...

Quote:
Incidentally, I have E3 on my telecine PC. Are you sure it is up to running E9, HD and or 4K? Mine would not be.
My workstation runs a Core i9 9900x Extreme, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Asus RTX 2080 Ti and Samsung EVO Plus VNAND SSDs. I'm pretty sure it's more than good enough for 4K. It has been so far.

Quote:
Personally I think you are paranoid
I have no investment in your personal opinion about me but, if you have in mine, personally I think that's not a very pertinent comment to make. I lost countless work and had apps stop working because of Windows 10's forced and coercive updates... Is it me being paranoid about the Internet destabilizing my system, or Grass Valley being paranoid about piracy?

Last edited by Artimedia; 11-30-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:04 PM   #4
ulyssesvideo

I agree... I don't have my editing computer on the net either.... no need unless u need to upgrade edius or programs that need upgrading.
if the system is working without it being on the net, why change!
Old 11-30-2019, 06:18 PM   #5
DigitalDave

I think you will find that the vast majority of Edius Pro users dont keep the editing PC live on the internet but simply connect as and when.
If you dont like that arrangement then you have two choices as that is how it is.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:35 PM   #6
dpalomaki

Workgroup provides other benefits as well, but maybe you do not need or can't use them.

If I recall correctly, the validation just once every 30 days. If so, you could connect very briefly to do the validation from behind a good wirewall.

I believe DigitaDave made the assumption that your Edius 3.x was running on a PC from the same era (e.g., a Win XP box from around around 14 years ago), not installed a more modern machine.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:40 PM   #7
Artimedia

Thank you Dave and all for your replies!

So if I get it right, the best option is to configure a firewall that will ideally allow only Edius to communicate briefly over the web and every 30 days (or whatever the compulsory period may be), make sure Edius remains activated, right?

No, I don't think Workgroup would justify in my case. I like Edius because of how fast it is and how used I am to it. Despite After Effects being the software I use the most, I've always disliked Premiere since I first tried it in 2001. To edit I've always loved either Edius (for most work) or Avid (for Film Industry work).

My workstations have kept improving since I bought my first version of Edius which was 2.0 back in 2002. Later I upgraded to 3.5 and when I was doing my Masters I bought Edius Education 5.0 (but that doesn't qualify for Jump Upgrades). Then for many years I focused more on Avid MC but, now I would like to upgrade my Edius version because it still is my favorite NLE.

Oh and btw... If Edius ever becomes 12bit, I'll ditch Avid promptly.

Last edited by Artimedia; 11-30-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:57 PM   #8
dpalomaki

Understand. More and more software wants to "call home" for validation at each use, or be to be served to the user from the web. Part of protecting the revenue stream.

The Edius call home was part of getting rid of the dongle. A mixed blessing.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:03 PM   #9
DigitalDave

Now that you've calmed down, my E3 is still happily running on XP...which ain't broke but all the work done on it is SD.

With regard to E9 WG apart from one off activation, for many working in 4K being able to preview multi layers in RT by reducing the preview resolution is a game changer.

For others WG offers no advantages https://www.edius.net/differences.html

I do not apologise for the use of the word "paranoid" as just like installing the correct QT components, users were up in arms, hell was going to freeze over and similar, whereas the reality was no big deal. Plenty of other plugins require a periodic internet connection. It does not mean you have to be permanently connected.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:10 PM   #10
dpalomaki

The process for Edius 8 Pro is summarized in the following post. I suspect that E9 Pro is similar.

https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/...+license+check

Sounds like the start-up will remind you to connect when necessary.

Note that installing Edius 9 Pro trial version may wipe out any earlier versions of Edius, presumably your installs of 5 and/or 3.x

https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/...ad.php?t=40763
Closed Thread

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS