Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 12-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #21
swsw1550

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTVHD View Post
Hi Jerry. I wouldn't worry about it. The cell loss is so insignificant that you are more likely to have replaced the drives before finding any issues. Any drive self remapping etc. won't be noticed either, even in raid. If anything, it makes for a safer raid 0.

The same concerns were there for first gen SSD, for swap files and page files etc. As it happens now, it is very much recommended to use a SSD for your page file. If you also think about servers that deal with huge amounts of requests for huge amounts of small files, and the writing and caching of them. This is were your concern may be justified. But this is also now the domain of SSD, due to the obvious speed, handling of small files and sheer I/O count for packets etc.

When you consider that video, even tiny clips, are huge in size. Don't really move much once on the drive. Are accessed nowhere near the the same frequency as other data types etc. etc. Then compare the real world issues of hard drives, heat, mechanical wear and tear, mechanical failure, fragmentation etc. etc. It is fairly safe to say that SSD is perfect for your active video drive.

I have done tests myself on a single SSD for video, and it was stupid fast. Whatever minor inconveniences there are with the inherent technology, they are far outweighed by the performance and stability.

I have even done the same by running the video project folder on the C drive with windows, Edius, and the temp and cache files. And it still run way better than two fast dedicated system and video hard drives. Although, I would not recommend this as a proper solution, as it is always easier for house keeping chores at least, to have your video data seperated.

The only place I have a problem using SSD, is in massive drive long term storage. And that is only because of the impossible costs associated with even 400 gig SSD, let alone a 4000 one.

I am sure I have seen a signature here on the forum from someone using a multiple SSD raid system, can't remember who it is, but it would be interesting to get their take on it.

Oh BTW. Like Jerry, I personally go for nvidia. It won't make a blind bit of difference for Edius. But can and will for certain GPU processes and adobe stuff. Although there is nothing wrong with Ati. Nvidia is a bit like Intel, it is trusted more as it is usually the platform for actual software development, and is not usually playing catch up.
Hi mate,
i run 8 Intel 520 480GB SSD drives in a Raid 5, I have then made a partition of 400 GB for OS ect, then with the rest of the space have divided it into 3 1tb raid 5 drives, I run this through a LSI 9266 Raid card with 8 internal ports, the card also has battery backup for cache, and LSI Fastpath software for SSD drives, I get read speeds between 2200mb sec to 2600mb sec and write speeds between 1900mb sec and 2200mb sec, I did a lot of experimenting with Noel the head tech from Adaptec here in Australia, I was using an Adaptec 7805 card in the start and had a few problems with it i.e speed ect, so I ended up changing to an LSI card, the system is super fast and very very stable, never had it crash on me once, I do regular backups though..lol Also one more thing, the intel SSD software to manage SSD drives does not work when using a raid system with SSD drives through a third party card, so to trim the drives i use a program called Tweak SSD, this seams to work quite well, Anyway if you want a super quick system, stable ect I dont see a problem with raiding SSD drives, my system has been fine for the last 12 months.

Steve

P.S I still have a few 6 TB back up drives that I store programs on ect, my main system does not have anything stored on it at all, it is just used for editing and that is all, photos, software, serials, documents, are all on external drives that i just turn on when needed.
Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.

Last edited by swsw1550; 12-31-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: extra content
swsw1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #22
Karsten Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsw1550 View Post
I get read speeds between 2200mb sec to 2600mb sec and write speeds between 1900mb sec and 2200mb sec.
Sweet. Now, my final thoughts in 2013 are clouded by envy ;)
Karsten Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #23
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsw1550 View Post
Hi mate,
i run 8 Intel 520 480GB SSD drives in a Raid 5, I have then made a partition of 400 GB for OS ect, then with the rest of the space have divided it into 3 1tb raid 5 drives, I run this through a LSI 9266 Raid card with 8 internal ports, the card also has battery backup for cache, and LSI Fastpath software for SSD drives, I get read speeds between 2200mb sec to 2600mb sec and write speeds between 1900mb sec and 2200mb sec, I did a lot of experimenting with Noel the head tech from Adaptec here in Australia, I was using an Adaptec 7805 card in the start and had a few problems with it i.e speed ect, so I ended up changing to an LSI card, the system is super fast and very very stable, never had it crash on me once, I do regular backups though..lol Also one more thing, the intel SSD software to manage SSD drives does not work when using a raid system with SSD drives through a third party card, so to trim the drives i use a program called Tweak SSD, this seams to work quite well, Anyway if you want a super quick system, stable ect I dont see a problem with raiding SSD drives, my system has been fine for the last 12 months.

Steve

P.S I still have a few 6 TB back up drives that I store programs on ect, my main system does not have anything stored on it at all, it is just used for editing and that is all, photos, software, serials, documents, are all on external drives that i just turn on when needed.
Hi Steve.

Thanks so much for the input. Now I hope you don't mind a few questions :)

I have been using a Sonnet 8 drive raid on an Atto controller. This is a 16tb system, and while it is great n' all, I am not not doing feature film work at the moment so don't really need the space. I am looking at selling the system and using a smaller integrated system instead. My intention is to start with a 4 drive SSD and take it from there.

At the moment, I am doing individual pieces that are around 4 minutes completed, and maybe some doc stuff upto about half an hour. Only parts of my workflow are uncompressed and I tend not to over shoot, am mostly at 1080, so I should get away with around 500gb for any one active project.

Although you are using a multi partitioned setup with 5 redundancy, my proposed setup is way easier. 1 SSD for boot and 4 SSD's in 0. I don't use redundancy, as I am trying to get into keeping my main edit machine in a shape were it only ever has one active project. With an external duplicate of the project on NAS or removable, that just gets incremental updates until the main edit is finished. I also back up my daily EZP's to a thumb drive and cloud. I know this sounds a bit laboured, but I am messy person and need to bring some long overdue order to my data handling. Plus when I had my last system in 5, I basically got real lazy and started using it as protected area to dump everything.

Looking at your system, it looks like you do high frame size work or heavy rendering, may be CG. Mine is way easier, just Edius and some minor extras like Adobe, DaVinci etc. Aside form CPU and GPU, which is all fine for my present use, it's the drive sub system that I need to look at. While a much lesser drive system would still do the job, I would like to have through put in such a way that it is never called into question if ever there are bottleneck.

Also, I may build an ultra portable mini-atx Haswell based solution based on all this. So my questions.

1. Is there any real issue with trim or other similar technologies by different manufactures, specific to raiding.

2. If so and in your experience, is it a regular thing or a once in a blue moon thing.

3. I intend on rebuilding the raid in between each finished project. Would this be enough to get around the above issues, or similar ones.

4. How do you find it putting temp, swap, and page files on the same system.

5. Is there any Edius specific stuff I should watch out for.

6. Are there any other SSD specific things I should look out for, maybe due to the raiding.

7. Are any particular drives, or on board technologies, better suited to raid over others.

8. Although I am looking at using an on board controller, what 4 port controller would you recommend.

9. Would I be right in assuming that the total bus speed of an onboard controller is no different than that of a dedicated card. I can't remember what the speeds are for the pci bus or a typical LSI on board solution?

10. Please advise me if I have missed the point with any of this.

11. What is it you do that requires 24 cores :)

I am really sorry for all the questions and would really appreciate any help. You are the only person who has a system that is similar to what I want to build. Thanks.
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #24
swsw1550

With the trim, you wont have a problem if you install you OS on a single SSD drive and no raid, the Intel management software will work, (if you use Intel SSD drives which i would recommend using) also may work with other 4 drives as long as they are in a raid 0 only, With Raid cards i would go for a LSI card as they supply most chipsets to most card manufactures anyway and i would get an 8 port internal as the price diff wouldn't be much between 4 and 8 port. and I have 24 cores as my Supermicro X8DAH+ supports dual Xeons, below is a good link to setting up an SSD on a Win 7 machine.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/s...-for-ssds-hdds
Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #25
swsw1550

Another good link on setting up SSD Drives,
http://www.maketecheasier.com/12-thi...-in-windows-7/

Steve
Old 12-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #26
Liverpool TV

Cheers Steve, much appreciated and will check that site.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #27
swsw1550

Also you won't be sorry in setting up a SSD system, if you want great speed though I would raid 6 or more together and then make a partition for OS and then divide the rest of the space up as raid 5 for video or a raid 0 if not worried about redundancy.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #28
Liverpool TV

Sound mate. I have used a dual ssd before, 1 for boot 1 for storage. It was just for testing a build, but was very fast. I have been building NLE systems since the days of the DC30 and DV500's etc. But have never used SSD raids, so really appreciate the input. I may even try putting some in my D800 and connect them to the atto controller, although I am not too sure if even just 4 SSDs might max out the bud speed of the atto. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #29
John Hooper

Although I appreciate these comments about SSD, can I bring the thread back to my original question about RAM?

I have now decided to go for a compatible type (for motherboard). This will probably be Corsair Vengence 1600. I want 16GB, but my next question is what configuration?

I probably won't expand to more than this in the future, so is there any difference in performance if I choose 2 x 8 Gb DIMMS or 4 x 4Gb?
Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor
John Hooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #30
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hooper View Post
Although I appreciate these comments about SSD, can I bring the thread back to my original question about RAM?

I have now decided to go for a compatible type (for motherboard). This will probably be Corsair Vengence 1600. I want 16GB, but my next question is what configuration?

I probably won't expand to more than this in the future, so is there any difference in performance if I choose 2 x 8 Gb DIMMS or 4 x 4Gb?
Only cost, you will not see anything in speed.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories