Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 03-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
zvit

Default Extract images from HD video to print

A photographer lost some of the photos taken at a wedding and asked me to extract images from the video. The video is full hd, 1920x1080.

The only way I can think of is to ctrl-T frames from the video after applying a de-interlace filter.

The photos are for printing to digital albums. Since the resolution is about half of what a camera would have taken, I want to make sure there is no other way (maybe special software or plugins) that I can extract the highest quality image possible from video.
Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH, Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, 500GB SSD HDD for OS, 40TB Usable Hard Drive Capacity, Window 10 PRO 64-bit Edius 9.5 WORKSTATION...
zvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Red Union Films
Banned

Hi Zvit.

As far as Edius is concerned, there is not really any other way than you are doing. Maybe try two option, I am assuming your footage is interlaced due to your reference of de-interlacing, if so. Change your timeline to progressive and do your still export, and do one from your original interlaced timeline. Make sure to use one of the uncompressed stills options. Now view them in photoshop and try applying a de-interlace filter to the interlaced version, and then compare it to the Edius progressive still. In the past I have had Edius export an interlaced timeline still and it looked correct for progressive viewing, but can't remember how.

There are many ways to do such things, that I am quite sure you will be advised on. But this method is probably the quickest way that only involves Edius to produce the initial stills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvit View Post
A photographer lost some of the photos taken at a wedding and asked me to extract images from the video. The video is full hd, 1920x1080.

The only way I can think of is to ctrl-T frames from the video after applying a de-interlace filter.

The photos are for printing to digital albums. Since the resolution is about half of what a camera would have taken, I want to make sure there is no other way (maybe special software or plugins) that I can extract the highest quality image possible from video.
Red Union Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
zvit

The de-interlace from Edius looks fine but I'll do what you said too. Good idea.

Anyway, it's a matter of faking a higher resolution by bumping up the quality. There are some things I found:

http://reshade.com/

And the Topaz plugins, especially the Topaz DeJpeg.
Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH, Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, 500GB SSD HDD for OS, 40TB Usable Hard Drive Capacity, Window 10 PRO 64-bit Edius 9.5 WORKSTATION...
zvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
Red Union Films
Banned

Quote:
The de-interlace from Edius looks fine but I'll do what you said too. Good idea.

Anyway, it's a matter of faking a higher resolution by bumping up the quality. There are some things I found:

http://reshade.com/

And the Topaz plugins, especially the Topaz DeJpeg.
Maybe tryout the Edius 3D trial. It has a number of options for re-sizing. You may be able to make a high resolution timeline and let Edius use its new re-sizing functions to match your 1080 footage to a much bigger frame size, then try your stills export from the higher resolution timeline. It may be worth a try.
Red Union Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
4Kover3D
Banned

You have to apply Levels filter in Photoshop, because you ill end up with wrong black levels-grabs look pail. Stills/Photoshop does not really understand such a thing like YUV levels- this what comes out of Edius. You have to rescale them to full RGB levels.
Apply Levels filter with 16/235 values.
4Kover3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
dpalomaki

Ran through a similar issue with a wedding last year. The high priced photographer did not get photos of many of the bride's family members who were present. (Not a question of lost photos but missed photos.) I ended up pulling snaps from the HDV video footage, and used Photoshop to deinterlace, correct aspect ratio, and othewise adjust the stills. Not exactly the best photos, but far better than none.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #7
SoundFreak_HD

Quote:
I want to make sure there is no other way (maybe special software or plugins) that I can extract the highest quality image possible from video.
De-interlace and adjust black levels, then you could try out http://www.ononesoftware.com/product...ct-resize/?ind for some higher resolution to go to print.

Not magic but it helps quite a bit, while no substitute for original taken high rez, it will help you out the mess every-time :)

EDIUS WG 9.51 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.

EDIUS WG 8.53
/ HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000 H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.

wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate
SoundFreak_HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
4Kover3D
Banned

If you want best deinterlacing and best upscaling than avisynth is your friend, but it need some knowledge. QTGMC for deinteralcing and NNEDI3 filters for upsclaing.

Sorry, but most of these amazing software like one above are piece of sxxx- you rather stay with Edius, dont spent money for them.

Have a look here:

http://www.infognition.com/articles/..._shootout.html

Choose one of the tested images and than you will have a grid will results for differen methods- just clik on the names in the grid to see pictures. When it comes to print NNEDI3 is good, becasue it smooth all jagines and make image look smooth (even if not very sharp). It uses nuearal network aproach to find missing image data to smooth diagonals.

Last edited by 4Kover3D; 03-19-2012 at 12:50 PM.
4Kover3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
SoundFreak_HD

Not sure how crap you call crap but it works great on my side :)

EDIUS WG 9.51 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.

EDIUS WG 8.53
/ HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000 H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.

wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate
SoundFreak_HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
dpalomaki

The trick, of course, it to meet your client's expectations.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS