Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
Red Union Films
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Jay View Post
I knew I wasnt going crazy. Even the director who has FCP got a gamma shift, and felt the same worry.

And apparently we're not the only ones out there:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...d-Gamma-Shifts

It still astounds me that Edius will correct the dslr video in program to look correct but then export with a shift it never shows you, because every one of you who compared these files says it looks fine... in Edius. But it's not just Edius, its FCP, its Avid... apparently Adobe too, whatever version is gifted to read them.

It seems to be a relatively unnoticed issue. And I found some resources for anybody in the future using Canon DSLR footage. Google "dslr gamma shift," you'll get some sparse results. But people have definetly noticed it.

http://nofilmschool.com/2010/06/is-5...n-waiting-for/

An Adobe DSLR workflow video that the link sounded prommising but I didnt want to sit through the whole video for

Premire/Vegas discussion forum, 7th post down shows exactally what I'm getting. This whole thread is addressing it.

File specs that you technical wizzes will enjoy

I really havent had a chance to weed through all of this. We just went through review this weekend, I made all the changes and started printing before I left this morning for proofread. I've 6 days before locked and ship to digital, and imagine 3 more passes before it's stamped with grinns and giggles. That on top of testing ADR routes with Edius at my place before they call them actors in. They start ADR the day after lock and ship lol. They don't miss a beat.

I'm going to be too busy to be good for conversation right now, some freetime after work. I'll have about a month afterward to figure out the rendering while FX does their thing, so you'll all see me again in abundance in a week or so. I'd like to have this issue better understood. I do appreciate the help. Red Union Films has been very nice.

Caminosterio, thank you. I'll dig into all this after I'm done.

Col lamb, considering the vibrance of the images, I'm sure they did not set it up that way. That was the DP.

Stephen
Hi Stephen.

You really need to check out the last test project I sent you. It may be that your system is set incorrectly, as I am not having any of the Edius issues that you are. Specifically, the colour does not change on the HQ output compared to the camera rush file. Also, I have given you a number of things that could be wrong for you to check. I know it's all a pain, but you really have to try out what I have said. I have also supplied windows screen shots to show differences in the way QT, Mediaplayer, and Edius handle the RGB range. I have to say that the most useful looking one does appear to be Edius.

I know you are new to the forum. But be a little mindful of how you word your posts. Suggesting that Edius is doing something when it is not, may not get you the help you need from experienced Edius users.

If you want to use my screen shots and test the project with other users, If it helps you solve your problem. I don't mind you posting the links to the zip and files at Mediafire.

Hope you sort this out before lock.

Cheers.

Dave.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #12
col lamb

Hi Dave

I think that you are wasting your time trying to help this guy?

He did not answer my question about the settings in the camera, I bet they are still original.

Stock Canon settings will give issues if the user is after a pro looking output.

Keep up your great movie making

Old 03-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #13
4Kover3D
Banned

There is nothing to help with, as there is no problem.
Edius exports stills without scaling to RGB levels, so they always look to bright. It inserts YUV levels into RGB full scale.

Load Edius grab to Photoshop and apply Levels filter- 16, 235- all looks fine.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:17 AM   #14
Red Union Films
Banned

Hi Col.

I know how this may look, but Stephan has sent me a number of PMs. Believe me, I do understand your point, and thank you for looking out. But we have all been at that point when your whole world will collapse when the last point in production rests on your shoulders.

It's a pity that Stephen did not respond to someone like you first. As your experience with such matters is better than mine.

I have still not made the step up to 50P. Have you checked out the JVC 4K camera?

Hope all is well.

Cheers mate.

Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by col lamb View Post
Hi Dave

I think that you are wasting your time trying to help this guy?

He did not answer my question about the settings in the camera, I bet they are still original.

Stock Canon settings will give issues if the user is after a pro looking output.

Keep up your great movie making
Old 03-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #15
Red Union Films
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Kover3D View Post
There is nothing to help with, as there is no problem.
Edius exports stills without scaling to RGB levels, so they always look to bright. It inserts YUV levels into RGB full scale.

Load Edius grab to Photoshop and apply Levels filter- 16, 235- all looks fine.
Andrew.

Why are you talking about stills, when we are talking about video?

David.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
4Kover3D
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Union Films View Post
Andrew.

Why are you talking about stills, when we are talking about video?

David.
Stills, which Stephen posted. He made grabs and he says Edius one has wrong levels. It's just the way how Edius exports stills- keeps YUV levels, which is not a bug. It's up to user to scale them to RGB scale for use in Photoshop etc.

As far as I can tell his video has good levels in Edius- don't see a problem.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #17
GrassValley_SL

This is incorrect. The OP said that his video becomes brighter.

Anyway this is going off topic. Anyone who wants to offer the OP more help can do so via Pm.
Thank you.

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 03-13-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS