Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 12-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #21
shueardm

Hey Joe,

I am not going to spend any time getting methods for faster encodes within the parameters- as every time i encode i want the best possible. So if i concentrate on best quality & you best performance, we can cover both bases? It's a shame you aren't getting up around 95% like me- 2 x dual core looks like the best/most efficient CPU's in this case.

Like i mentioned I did find some encoding errors, while not too regular or too noticeable it's got me looking at every frame real close. I'm working on changing a couple of things to see if it makes a difference.
Regs
Mark
Old 12-29-2007, 04:23 PM   #22
Crespel

Mark,
until now I did only a short test. Now I will start to produce my (high Quality) Demo Reel in H264 and I will learn what the "real performance" and optimal parameters will be.
But as you know this takes some hour's(maybe days).
Let's discuss in the end our experiences.
Regards
Joe
Crespel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #23
shueardm

I've been tinkering with thes following settings a bit and run into problems.
The two settings i question for more specific details are these.
1) Use MBAFF encoding for interlaced footage.
2) Allow pyramid B Frame encoding

I have done variations of these toggled on or off (changing the preset that i posted in some way) and while the streams import into Encore the projects crash with some crazy error during build like "fatal error, code 6"

1) suggests that they improve quality but can't build the disc with the streams. Going back to my original preset project I can still export that to folder or disc- meaning it must be the stream is good and the others bad? perhaps?

The sheer time it takes to encode makes it very hard to get immediate answers, so if someone cares to help, please put your hand up and i will send you a preset each for you to encode with.

Projects need to be an hour in length to be verified as good or bad because I have made small lenghts of encoded video presets that get output ok- only to then fail when you go to an hour clip....

And if anyone cares to explain those settings, please do.

Last edited by shueardm; 12-30-2007 at 11:54 AM.
shueardm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:37 PM   #24
Crespel

Mark,
I've authored my first BD based on PC3 and your presets.I changed the Videodatarate to min= 18Mbps and max=25Mbps.
The good news are:
The process works, I checked the result thoroughly and found no bad frame.The videodatarate goes up to 30Mbps which was the Project maximum in Encore.
As expected file size is lower.
The Video Qualtity is superior.
The bad news are:
Rendering takes a lot longer than in MPEG2.
My Project consisted of 12 Video/Audio streams.Encore could not load all 12 I had to stop at 6 because Encore reported storage Problems - which is in my eyes a programming error.Furthermore Encore reacts much more slower as with MPEG2 Sources.As usual got error messages which are not described in the Encore Help file - and so on.

But finally a had success and that is what counts.
How does DVDit HD Pro behave compared to Encore ?

Regards
Joe
Crespel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #25
Khoi Pham

I would help but my computer is doing one right now and it will take about 3 days to finish, (slow computer) I have to use Encore to encode H.264 because I have not found a reliable way to figure out the bitrate to use with ProCoder, I'm a sucker for quality and efficiency and so if there is 25gig on the disc then I want to use all of it, it is harder to get the right bitrate with H.264 than with MPEG2, I found a bitrate calculator that don't have a limit on size, I use it but it was way off, my last encode came out to 32gig instead of 25gig, let say for 2 hrs. long, how would you set the target and max bitrate so that the file size will come out to about 25gig or less?
Khoi Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:38 PM   #26
shueardm

Joe,

Thanks for the info.

I am not so sure that the PS3 is accurate when displaying the bitrate. I was watching the BD ROM of Die Hard 4.0 yesterday and it reported up to 49Mbs at one stage- now that is totally illegal as the maximum for BDROM is 40Mbs.
I can't believe that Encore could change the maximum bitrate unless in re-encoded the whole stream so how can the project settings maximum come into play? I think it's just the PS3 not reporting properly.

Encore has a few bugs, here's one I found out. If you encode a file to the same name as you have previously used in a different project but have it in a different location it will import immediately because it sees it as the previous file- then you build the project and of course it bombs out because it doesn't have the associated temp files in the right spot.

Rendering speed for me is around 1-9 with 2 pass and around 1-7 with 2 pass mastering Mpeg2.
I guess in the end the only reason to use H.264 is reducing file size to fit more on disc- but if you want say 4 hours on disc that would be (on my system) 4 x 9 hrs = 36 hrs, 1 1/2 days flat out encoding - WOW!!!!

DVDit PRO HD does not allow H.264.

Regards
Mark
Old 12-30-2007, 10:42 PM   #27
shueardm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
I would help but my computer is doing one right now and it will take about 3 days to finish, (slow computer) I have to use Encore to encode H.264 because I have not found a reliable way to figure out the bitrate to use with ProCoder, I'm a sucker for quality and efficiency and so if there is 25gig on the disc then I want to use all of it, it is harder to get the right bitrate with H.264 than with MPEG2, I found a bitrate calculator that don't have a limit on size, I use it but it was way off, my last encode came out to 32gig instead of 25gig, let say for 2 hrs. long, how would you set the target and max bitrate so that the file size will come out to about 25gig or less?
I haven't crossed that hurdle yet- what calculator are you talking about?
Old 12-30-2007, 11:28 PM   #28
Khoi Pham

I have been using Gordion Knot
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gordianknot
BTW the max for BD is 48, 40 for video and 8 for audio, I think the PS3 is very accurate, just about a second slow.
Khoi Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:33 PM   #29
shueardm

Yes I forgot about the audio and Die Hard has DTSHDMA etc. Still Encore can't change the encoded bitrate without doing it all over again.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:23 AM   #30
shueardm

Anyone know the reason for 2 pass with H.264?
With Mpeg 2 it is to allocate bits in the right places- but with H.264 you can use 2 pass when using CBR as well- it's obviously not to allocate the bits in the right spots?

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder