Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
Liverpool TV

Default Edius 9 license error when trying a deactivation.

I'm doing some training and production and the Edius 9 Education license on the system I'm using needs a re-install. During the online deactivation Edius throws up an error and wont deactivate the license. The same also happens for an offline deactivation.

Due to these errors and being unable to find info on the error codes, I decided to do a manual return via the Flexnet option. This also throws an error, as follows.

Request is tampered, error code: ERROR:13;An unexpected error occured. [Incident# xxxx-xxxxxxx]

I've X'ed out the incident number. The thing that's worrying is that 'Request is tampered' line in the error.

Now. Although the deactivation supposedly didn't process, as confirmed by the Flex server, which still shows one instance of the license in use. The GV license manager on this particular install, is now requiring the license code again, as if the first license activation was deactivated, which the GV manager had already thrown the error about. This would obviously suggest that one license instance is now completely lost, with the obvious impact toward future installations.

The install is on Mac via Parallels, which accepted the online activation request fine. Although I didn't personally oversee this particular Mac installation and activation, I've done a number of Mac installations with a number of activations and deactivations with no issues at all.

Before any suggestions to get in touch with support. My client already has. He said the support staff were very unhelpful and were more concerned about pushing the point about the limit of license installations, which is not at all helpful and has resulted in the very negative effect of making my client worry about losing his Edius license.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as my client only went to Edius on my advice and after seeing it in action on projects I've done for him and the University of Liverpool in the past. There's also a time constraint as the materials being produced are for a very important educational project that contributes toward the national curriculum.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Old 12-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
NakedEye

Hi Dave!
Have you gone ahead with a reinstall and reactivation as the error message may just be referring to an already deactivated software. Meaning it thinks your trying to deactivate an already deactivated software.

On the other hand it could just be another instance of GV 's completely inadequate licensing model. Add to that the Orwellian support staff who seem to think every genuine customer is really a master software pirate in disguise 😂

Merry Christmas by the way.
Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
www.nakedeyedv.com
Old 12-25-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedEye View Post
Hi Dave!
Have you gone ahead with a reinstall and reactivation as the error message may just be referring to an already deactivated software. Meaning it thinks your trying to deactivate an already deactivated software.

On the other hand it could just be another instance of GV 's completely inadequate licensing model. Add to that the Orwellian support staff who seem to think every genuine customer is really a master software pirate in disguise 😂

Merry Christmas by the way.
Hi Dave.

I've not reactivated just yet. I'm wanting to find out how I can find out if the first activation is lost.

And don't get me started on GV's Edius support and the unnecessarily convoluted licensing process.

After this mess and my advising the move to Edius, I'll no longer be recommending Edius to anyone and I won't be crediting GV or Edius on anymore of my video titles. It's unfortunate really, as Edius is an awesome NLE.

Have a great Christmas and a fantastic holiday season.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:14 AM   #4
GrassValley_SL

Hi Dave,

I think that if there is a pressing edit you can activate and sort the other activation later. Sorry the forum team is really out of the activation loop so we cannot offer support other the then the information that is public.

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
Old 12-26-2017, 01:57 AM   #5
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
Hi Dave,

I think that if there is a pressing edit you can activate and sort the other activation later. Sorry the forum team is really out of the activation loop so we cannot offer support other the then the information that is public.
Hi Steve.

Thanks for the reply. I do appreciate that the forum isn't the place for support requests, but thought I'd post in case someone had an answer and seeing as there had been no joy with GV UK.

I've already advised on using a second activation, as you've just suggested. It's just a really difficult situation when someone new to any software has such issues at the first hurdle and is left with more questions after contacting official support.

I can see now why some users post support related questions here on the forum. For some it may feel like the only option left open to them if they don't get their questions answered by going through the official channels.

I'll help him with an email to UK support suggesting they simply deactivate all instances of the license, so he can start fresh.

Cheers,
Dave.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
Liverpool TV

Here's an interesting update.

This is what GV support had to say.

"We do not suggest to install Edius using bootcamp as it the software somehow fails we won't be able to tell why."

But here is a GV produced PDF on how to use Edius on Mac under Boot Camp.

http://download.edius.de/pdf/EDIUS-for-Mac.pdf

And this webpage clearly talks about installing Edius 9 on Mac via Boot Camp.

https://www.edius.net/edius_mac.html

Words fail me. How can GV promote the use of Edius on Mac via Boot Camp and then say they "do not suggest to install Edius using Boot Camp" if a user runs into issues.

This is very disingenuous by GV and their support.

If GV are not going to give support to users running Edius on Mac, then GV should remove all material with regard their advice on how to install Edius on Mac and make it very clear that the process isn't supported.

Last edited by Liverpool TV; 12-27-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:58 PM   #7
NakedEye

It wouldn't surprise me if GV outsourced their support as that would explain the constant unhelpful responses users get fed. If that's not the case then we should be very worried IMHO.
Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
www.nakedeyedv.com
Old 12-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #8
GrassValley_PS

I am shocked by that response and it is just plain incorrect. I know there were some changes in the UK support and sorry to say, I really have not kept track of it.

In general (specifically EDIUS) GV does not outsource support.
Main System: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB , GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i PS, Phanteks Luxe Case, 16TB RAID (4)HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB, Corsair H115i CPU Cooler, AJA Kona 4, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Win 10
Old 12-27-2017, 11:58 PM   #9
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_PS View Post
I am shocked by that response and it is just plain incorrect. I know there were some changes in the UK support and sorry to say, I really have not kept track of it.

In general (specifically EDIUS) GV does not outsource support.
Hi Pat, thanks for the input.

I don't think Dave was stating a fact that the support is outsourced, I think he was saying that's how it felt by the response, which is something I totally agree with him on.

My concern is the complete contradiction of GV's guide to Edius on Mac and the response from GV UK support. I think this really needs clarification as I'm sure the outcome will effect others.

As for the system in question, I've already reactivated it with another instance of the license so that work can be got on with, as Steve had kindly suggested earlier. As another host machine isn't an option for this particular install, and still not knowing GV's stance on Boot Camp, Parallels or any other Mac OS option. I've had to completely re-do the Mac so that it now runs Windows natively, in the hope that there will be no further support issues as the machine is now basically an x86 compatible machine by virtue of the MB, CPU, hardware and probably more importantly as far as Edius 9 is concerned, Windows 10 64bit (Professional).

I have a feeling the what appears to be a complete loss of one instance of the license, as per the description earlier. May have been a remote communication issue between the machine and the Flex server, maybe an overzealous FW or AV, something that could effect any Windows/Edius setup regardless of host hardware.

I'll try another login into the Flexnet server some time tomorrow and see what it is reporting. Regardless of that outcome, I have every confidence that someone at GV will grant a total license reset, if requested, as my reporting of this issue clearly shows that any error or confusion is genuine and the end user wasn't and isn't at fault.

Again, I am sorry for bringing the matter up on the forum and appreciate that the forum isn't a resource for direct support. But when a user has followed the correct procedure and been left in limbo through no fault of their own due to official support, there is only one other place to ask questions.

Cheers,
Dave.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:39 AM   #10
GrassValley_PS

I am going to check on it further. If that information is being given out, we need to get it corrected asap.
Main System: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB , GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i PS, Phanteks Luxe Case, 16TB RAID (4)HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB, Corsair H115i CPU Cooler, AJA Kona 4, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Win 10
Closed Thread

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS