Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
mike0130

Default Video Training question

Dear GrassValley,
From my point of view, you failed, trying to provide training videos for current Edius 4.5x- 4.6x version. You made some videos only about basics, which brings a lot of simple questions from users. Good training may be heplfull to them, it may answer their questions- I am talking about editing strategy, tips and tricks, working with effects, transitions, PIP, 3D PIP, exporting, working with another software, such as AfterEffects etc.
There is plenty of time for you before new version of Edius will come (when you said about 2-nd halth of the year, I understood it as the end of december), are you going to prepare some training for it? Will it be REAL training this time? Are you going to ask Edius users what they will like to see in it before you make those videos ?
Thank you
mike
Asus P8P67, Intel i7 2600K working at 4.50 Ghz, 16Gb Kingston RAM, Windows 7 64bit, 500Gb system drive, 320Gb Data drive and 1TB RAID-0 for AV, Edius NX Express, EVGA nVidia GTX 570 2.5CB DDR5, 750w ALTEC power and some creativity...
Old 08-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
SoundFreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0130 View Post
You made some videos only about basics.
There is plenty of time for you before new version of Edius will come, are you going to prepare some training for it? Will it be REAL training this time? Are you going to ask Edius users what they will like to see in it before you make those videos ?
Thank you
mike
This will become a very interesting thread (if not closed)
Old 08-27-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

While it's a nice idea, specialized training for particular operations and tasks is usually enters the realm of paid training. In fact, in the TGV world, all training is normally a paid service. We have a training division that does this.

What comes "in the box" (whether manual, video or otherwise) covers introductory topics, knowing the tool, and performing basic functions. There may be some tips and tricks there as well, but you shouldn't buy a hammer expecting instructions on how to build a wooden go-cart with it. That's where user contributions and third-party training comes in.

It may seem like a lot of time, but it's really not. Writing manuals, finalizing software and creating training takes a lot of time. Training and manuals are the toughest as they require the software to be in a feature-stable state, otherwise the material is invalidated.

We do our best, but we make no promises.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
SoundFreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
We do our best, but we make no promises.
That's all the promise we need.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Let me also add that training is on our minds... it's just a bit tricky given the corporate structure.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
Jerry

Quote:
Let me also add that training is on our minds... it's just a bit tricky given the corporate structure.
I also would not expect training for using a program that GV does not make.
It is your choice to use whatever 3rd party software you choose.
I do not expect GV to give me 'editing strategy' lessons. I just expect basic instructions on fixes and updates for any current or new release.
Education is my responsibility. Not GV's.

By the way, Mike Downey has a very nice training video. http://www.classondemand.net/ClassOn...g/edius45.aspx 'you still owe me that pizza Mike'
This does not teach you to edit, but rather teaches you how to edit with Edius.

I look at it this way: If I buy a car, I do not expect the car manufacturer to teach me to drive. The instruction booklet that comes with that car details the features and how to operate them. Basic knowledge and how to's of driving is my responsibility.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
I look at it this way: If I buy a car, I do not expect the car manufacturer to teach me to drive. The instruction booklet that comes with that car details the features and how to operate them. Basic knowledge and how to's of driving rules is my responsibility.
And that's why professional editors (and drivers) get paid for doing what they do, instead of everyone just saying "Hey, that's easy, I can do that" and doing it themselves.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #8
Jerry

Quote:
And that's why professional editors (and drivers) get paid for doing what they do, instead of everyone just saying "Hey, that's easy, I can do that" and doing it themselves.
In the wild, I believe that is called 'culling' of the population.

All that being said, If you offered a day of training in my area, or somewhere nearby, I would gladly pay for that experience. I do it all the time for Photoshop tours.
The more you can learn the easier and better you can become at working any program.

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
SRsupport
Grass Cutter Gold

I agree with Jerry the art of editing is not something GV should teach.
There are schools , media institutes who teach you the principle of editing and telling the story. One you get that you basically can achieve what you want after just getting how the program works.

Teaching you how to create an effect or a transition?

Wow.

Would you ask Sony or ikegami to teach you how to shoot? Which mattebox to use and which glass filters you need to create effects?

I don't get.

One thing I would agree on is that Edius needs better manuals and help files.

Hello is that Ford motor corp ? I just bought one of your cars can you teach me how to drive it? hehe
For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Last edited by SRsupport; 08-27-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:57 PM   #10
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRsupport View Post
I agree with Jerry the art of editing is not something GV should teach.
There are schools , media institutes who teach you the principle of editing and telling the story. One you get that you basically can achieve what you want after just getting how the program works.

Teaching you how to create an effect or a transition?

Wow.

Would you ask Sony or ikegami to teach you how to shoot? Which mattebox to use and which glass filters you need to create effects?

I don't get.
Steve,
I know I am going to get blasted for this but here goes.
I have noticed a growing trend, in this forum and others, towards just being plain lazy. Instead of having a basic grasp of what you are asking, a lot of new posters are just wanting to have everything spelled out for them.

Helping you to understand the answer to a question is one thing. Having to tell you everything and every step that you need to take to accomplish your final result, well I just don't get it. I always learn better by doing. I can sit in a classroom all day and pick up tricks, but until I actually get onto my system and try these things it just doesn't sink in. Maybe it's an age thing. I'm 55, and some days I actually feel that old.

Don't get me wrong, I am willing to help out anyone with a valid question that I can answer.
I'm just a little more hesitant to help out when I am supposed to tell you how to pick the parts to your computer, how to build your computer, how to install your software, and how to use Edius.
I hope I am wrong about this.....

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Last edited by Jerry; 08-27-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS