Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 02-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #31
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

It is not a bug as it is performing as it was designed.

What's the problem with the Pinnacle box that you keep comparing it to?
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #32
FOTOISABELLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
FOTOISABELLE:

I do NOT have a problem with noise or unsatisfactory levels with my ADVC. I am truing to understand your system to help determine where the problem is. If you prefer, I will make this my last help offering.

Linear vs log scale helps put the relative levels in your screen grab in perspective to others. It makes a difference in the on-screen display. The waveform levels will correspond to the level of the input signal.

Some firewire port implementations cannot provide adequate power for the ADVC110. (That is because there is no solid, enforced, standard for firewire port power.) Whether or not this is helping induce noise in your case I do not know, but is has caused capture problems for others in the past. Using a separate power supply for the ADVC110 might help but that is no assured. If I recall correctly, at least some versions of the Pinnacle MovieBox use a separate power supply and connects via USB, not firewire. But there are several models and its not clear which model you have.

Noise sometimes is introduced by systems having multiple grounds in the wiring - and multiple electrical paths to ground. Having the computer and VCR connected to separate power circuits, or having inverted phase in the connection, could cause this with typical consumer gear. Also I have read past complaints of noise cause by poorly shielded SCART connections/cables. That noise would likely sound like a video signal leaking into the audio and would also be sensitive to any ground issues. Cable routing can also make a difference with audio noise pick-up, especially if a mix of consumer gear is used.

A few seconds of .WAV file with the noise would allow us to see the waveform details and spectrum and possibly identify the likely noise source.
i apreciate your efort to explain all this but all you say is beyound the subject. i have a pinnacle movie box deluxe 2, wich is an pci internal card and the new advc110. when i capture the same tape with the same video deck with the same audio video cable, i get normal sound with pinnacle and quite lower ones with advc110. so, since the hardware is the same except the actual capture card, and i get totaly different sound volumes, what's the logic response?

the motherboard in the pc is a recent generation one, not a 4-5 years old model. it is a intel dx79to. so i do not blame it as well to not delivering what's needed to the advc. and to be honest, if the producer has sean that specific power is needed, why do not include by default an ac adapter? in the end i could try to place it on another pc with quad core cpu, so an older model than the pc i am using now to see how it behaves but i doubt that is the issue.
FOTOISABELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #33
FOTOISABELLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
It is not a bug as it is performing as it was designed.

What's the problem with the Pinnacle box that you keep comparing it to?
i am sorry to hear this...the producer should take a look to the image that i have atached and see how this card is delivering the sound compared to a normal pinnacle card, 3 times cheaper

the pinnacle board doesn't have a issue. advc has one since the sound is almost flat compared to the one from pinnacle board. see my initial image with the same tape, same video deck, same audio-video cable and same pc. so, identical hardware except the capture cards
FOTOISABELLE is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC