Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 02-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #21
dpalomaki

Card?
Can you provide more detail on your issue and your setup?
Maybe post the histograms so we can see of what you write.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #22
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

This is by design.

The ADVC audio levels are designed to be able to handle interfacing with both professional and consumer equipment.

This post (coincidentally also by dpalomaki) has details about the ADVC300 but the same applies to the 110, just that the 110 does not have AGC (auto gain control).

Some VTRs have level adjustment on the output, otherwise if you want to adjust in the analog realm I would put a mixer in between.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #23
dpalomaki

Also, you mentioned noise.
What kind of noise?
How are you powering the ADVC?
Old 02-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #24
FOTOISABELLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Also, you mentioned noise.
What kind of noise?
How are you powering the ADVC?
take a look at the image. same videotape, same video deck. one capture with pinnacle and another with advc110.

this is a serious issue that grassvalley tehnical departament ignores and plays it like d.... since i have in the oficial reply "you can try are to raise the volume from your video source when capturing through the ADVC 110" - this is a actual quote and my reply was "can you raise the volume when you capture via DV? YOU CAN'T! " and beside this, no reply from them....gone in the dust
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOUND.jpg (228.1 KB, 7 views)
FOTOISABELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:13 PM   #25
dpalomaki

I agree the waveform capture looks lower, that is no surprise. (Is it set to linear or log scale?) The Pinnacle is no doubt designed around consumer gear levels which are perhaps 14 dB lower, (and have perhaps 6 dB less head room) than profesional sound levels.

I think the point was to raise the audio level before it reaches the ADVC, not after becoems a DV stream.

The noise you mention is the larger concern. Can you post a short sample of the signals wiht their noise, and please tell us the confugration you are using to capture - including how the ADVC and other gear is powered?
Old 02-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #26
FOTOISABELLE

Quote:
I agree the waveform capture looks lower, that is no surprise. (Is it set to linear or log scale?) The Pinnacle is no doubt designed around consumer gear levels which are perhaps 14 dB lower, (and have perhaps 6 dB less head room) than profesional sound levels.

I think the point was to raise the audio level before it reaches the ADVC, not after becoems a DV stream.

The noise you mention is the larger concern. Can you post a short sample of the signals wiht their noise, and please tell us the confugration you are using to capture - including how the ADVC and other gear is powered?
1. "(Is it set to linear or log scale?)" what does it matter? i uploaded same video captured with 2 devices, in same edit program so you can see the difference. plain and simple.
2. "the point was to raise the audio level". are you serious? becouse this stupid converter doesn't do the job properly, i am supposed to buy additional hardware to rise somehow the audio wich is just fine as you can see from waveform?
3. "The noise you mention". do yourself a simple test. capture in your room, with no sounds like tv or speak or watever. so you should have a plain wave form. at normal level, you will not hear anything. now, play again that but at maximum volume from your system. the background noise (sound captured from room) gets amplified and at the maximum volume is disturbing. it is the same principle. since the capture made with advc is low in volume, i have to rise the volume to a normal level wich means that the voices, music is rised but olso, the static background noise is amplified as well.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #27
FOTOISABELLE

Quote:
please tell us the confugration you are using to capture - including how the ADVC and other gear is powered?
you can see my system in the image. ADVC is powered via the firewire cable wich works just fine. no issues there. the video and sound is taken from video deck via scart-jacks cable. the same setup as for the capture with pinnacle. so configuration/cables/power has no influence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg config.jpg (137.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #28
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

"Try it yourself" is not a reasonable response when the other person doesn't have the problem.

As dpalomaki said, it's not necessarily the input volume, but the expected signal level that is different here.

The Pinnacle box may have a pre-amp in it and if you feed professional gear to the Pinnacle box it will likely produce clipped or over amplified result.

The solution in your case is to raise the signal level before the audio reaches the ADVC.

We're trying to help here, so please try to help us help you.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #29
dpalomaki

FOTOISABELLE:

I do NOT have a problem with noise or unsatisfactory levels with my ADVC. I am truing to understand your system to help determine where the problem is. If you prefer, I will make this my last help offering.

Linear vs log scale helps put the relative levels in your screen grab in perspective to others. It makes a difference in the on-screen display. The waveform levels will correspond to the level of the input signal.

Some firewire port implementations cannot provide adequate power for the ADVC110. (That is because there is no solid, enforced, standard for firewire port power.) Whether or not this is helping induce noise in your case I do not know, but is has caused capture problems for others in the past. Using a separate power supply for the ADVC110 might help but that is no assured. If I recall correctly, at least some versions of the Pinnacle MovieBox use a separate power supply and connects via USB, not firewire. But there are several models and its not clear which model you have.

Noise sometimes is introduced by systems having multiple grounds in the wiring - and multiple electrical paths to ground. Having the computer and VCR connected to separate power circuits, or having inverted phase in the connection, could cause this with typical consumer gear. Also I have read past complaints of noise cause by poorly shielded SCART connections/cables. That noise would likely sound like a video signal leaking into the audio and would also be sensitive to any ground issues. Cable routing can also make a difference with audio noise pick-up, especially if a mix of consumer gear is used.

A few seconds of .WAV file with the noise would allow us to see the waveform details and spectrum and possibly identify the likely noise source.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #30
FOTOISABELLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
"Try it yourself" is not a reasonable response when the other person doesn't have the problem.

As dpalomaki said, it's not necessarily the input volume, but the expected signal level that is different here.

The Pinnacle box may have a pre-amp in it and if you feed professional gear to the Pinnacle box it will likely produce clipped or over amplified result.

The solution in your case is to raise the signal level before the audio reaches the ADVC.

We're trying to help here, so please try to help us help you.
how can you help me by sugesting i should buy a amplifier becouse your device doesn't capture the sound properly? if i connect the video to a tv and play it, the sound is normal. for a tv is normal, for a pinnacle is normal and all i hear is excuses that the converter doesn't have a amplifier built in and i should buy one to have the normal level that exists for all other devices except this converter? i didn't see anyware on the product page or specifications that is should buy a preamp becouse this device doesn't know what a normal sound is. so instead of such remarks, you should put at least a note regarding this bug.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC