Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 06-11-2007, 11:24 PM   #21
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Rando,

Your LCD TV has an LCD panel with a fixed resolution. No matter what kind of input signal is coming into your TV, the "pixels" of the input signal must be mapped to the pixels of the LCD panel.

If you feed the TV a 480p signal, the TV will have to upscale the image to map those 720x480 pixels to whatever the TV's native resolution is. Most LCD TVs on the market are 1280x720 (720p) or 1366x768 (WXGA), though newer "FullHD" ones are full 1920x1080.

That's why some folks end up getting a dedicated scaler to do up/down conversion, and always feed their TV (or projector) a fixed resolution. That either bypasses the TV's scaling, or at least provides a consistent up/down scale.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:18 AM   #22
rando

Default Procoder/quality

So this isnt likely to improve until I go HDV right?Like I said the regualr DVD player looks o.k. does that mean it is upscaling the video?

Randy
rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:04 AM   #23
STORMDAVE

If your output device (Xbox?) is playing a 480p output, your TV is the one that's upscaling. Not all TV's have good upscalers. An upconverting DVD player with an HDMI output would be a good bet for you...

I have a 32" LCD connected to my Media Center PC (Vista Home Premium) and all my DVD's look sweet on it. The computer (via nVidia PureVideo) is the one upscaling the MPEG2 video so DVD's look really good.

Like Brandon said, it's always best to have your TV display at it's native resolution, and in my case it is 1360x768 (Connected via VGA...inputs from HDMI & Component are displayed at 1366x768, so a 6 pixel difference). I connected a Sony DVD player via Component and it looks disgusting on my HDTV (ViewSonic).
STORMDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder