Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 06-03-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
Daniellowitz

Default No audio convering from dvd to mov

Hello

I have a DVD which i would like to convert to *.mov so i can edit it in Avid. The problem is when i have converted the whole movie there is no audio?

Pleae help, thx

Daniel
Old 06-03-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
THoff

If this is a non-commercial, non-encrypted, non-multiangle, non-subtitle, single-audio etc. DVD, all you need to do is copy the VOB file(s) from the VIDEO_TS directory on the DVD to your computer, rename them to have a .MPG extension, and you're done.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
Daniellowitz

Default avid does not use mpg

Hi, Thx for your answer but mpg does not work in avid, only quicktime mov, any good suggestions?
Old 06-03-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
THoff

Load the MPG into the QuickTime Player, and use File -> Export to output a .MOV file using the audio and video codec of your choice. You'll need the licensed Pro version of QuickTime, the free version won't be able to do this, the Export menu item will be grayed out.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
Daniellowitz

Default procoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoff View Post
Load the MPG into the QuickTime Player, and use File -> Export to output a .MOV file using the audio and video codec of your choice. You'll need the licensed Pro version of QuickTime, the free version won't be able to do this, the Export menu item will be grayed out.

I thought procoder could do this conversiion, that was why i bought the program! Do u know why there is no sound?
Old 06-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
THoff

What audio format are you telling Procoder to use? If you use something that isn't supported by Avid (or on the machine that Avid is running on), then you won't get audio. The safest bet would be uncompressed PCM.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #7
Daniellowitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoff View Post
What audio format are you telling Procoder to use? If you use something that isn't supported by Avid (or on the machine that Avid is running on), then you won't get audio. The safest bet would be uncompressed PCM.
I am using "original audio" from the menu. When i play the converted movfile in quicktime or windowsplayer there are no sound, any suggestions?
Old 06-03-2007, 09:44 PM   #8
THoff

I'm not sure where you are choosing "Original Audio", but my guess is that the format you are outputting is one that is not supported by the codecs on your system -- something like AC3 Dolby Digital for instance will require an appropriate DirectShow filter to work with Windows Media Player.

I would change the audio format to uncompressed PCM, that should work.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
Aristotelis

I think that the reason you end up without audio is because you don't have a proper ac-3 decoder in your system...once you install one, procoder will be able to use it and do your conversion as you want...

Ctrl+Alt+Delete
Aristotelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:00 PM   #10
THoff

I don't think you'll need a AC3 decoder if you use Procoder for this -- it comes with the ability to decode and encode AC3. If anything, other applications will need a AC3 decoder if that is the audio format that Daniel is using.

My recommendation is still to use PCM audio, but there is a free AC3 DirectShow filter if someone should need one.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder