Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 01-12-2008, 05:06 AM   #1
jriker1

Default Prefered Capture Software?

I am dubbing many many VHS tapes to DVD eventually however probably Divx or something similar before that to do some cleanup on the audio and video created. I did this a few times with my ADVC100 but now using the 110 after many years of not needing to dub things. I received a copy of Edius Neo with my unit. Is this good software for this purpose or can someones suggest something else? Cost is not a major issue when it comes to suggestions. Want to see what is recommended, then worry about cost.

Thanks.

JR

Edit: This is on a Windows based system by the way.

Last edited by jriker1; 01-12-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
donp326

Scenalyzer is my choice. I have been using it for several years and it has performed well for me.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
GrassValley_CP
Grass Valley

Give EDIUS Neo a try. Though it is far more than just a capture program, it should do you fine for capture and editing. You can read about EDIUS Neo on its product page here.
GrassValley_CP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Meow

I actually prefer capturing with VirtualDub. It's free, there's even a x64 for 64 bit Windows versions, and it captures the DV of your ADVC with the colorspace you want, and raw without dropping any frame.

Which brings me to a quick question;
What colorspace has the DV Format going through the firewire when used for 720x576 PAL on an ADVC300 ?
Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

DV is YCbCr 4:2:0 for PAL and YCbCr 4:1:1 for NTSC.

It's not very useful to capture the stream to any format other than DV, as it is already compressed as DV when it reaches the computer.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #6
Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
DV is YCbCr 4:2:0 for PAL and YCbCr 4:1:1 for NTSC.

It's not very useful to capture the stream to any format other than DV, as it is already compressed as DV when it reaches the computer.
I beg to differ. As DV is not a lossless compression format, I never do any filtering in it. So unpacking it as early as possible is actually a good idea if you need to work on the material a lot. That's also why I asked, since I then require to know what color-space to translate from.

Thanks for that info.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #7
THoff

Even if you take the output of the ADVC an store it as an uncompressed file, you are not going to gain any quality -- you cannot create more detail than what is already there in the DV stream.

Furthermore, any transcoding to another lossy format will result in a degradation of the image and loss of detail, though it may not be visually obvious.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:32 AM   #8
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Of course you don't want to recompress to DV after filtering, but there's really no reason to decompress the DV to an uncompressed file.

The end result is the same reading an uncompressed file generated from DV to RAM versus directly decompressing a DV file to RAM.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:04 AM   #9
Meow

Exactly.
And as good as the built-in filtering of this unit might be, it still can't crop, do advanced de-interlacing and chroma-corrections etc. I have rarely, if at all, used the actual output DV material of the ADVC300 for anything other than "keeping the original somewhere just in case".
If you handle old VHS and Hi8 tapes, downsizing usually is a good thing for overall quality, especially when combined with filtering and such.

So yeah, I always recompress for distribution or DVD. Of course, I limit that to 1 time in the chain of things. A decent x264 encode is absolutely brilliant for ADVC300 captured material.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:41 AM   #10
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

So you're capturing the ADVC's output as analog?

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC