Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 11-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
Marc44

Default Multitracks and realtime

I work on a multicam project in HD 8 bits (6 cam).
When I am in multicam mode (F8), I understand the realtime is poor.
But, when I put off the option, I do desactivate the lowest tracks to get realtime.
It seems Edius handle all the tracks, rather to play only the upper track.
Same results in 8.53 and 9.3x.

Marc
System : W7 Ultimate - MB: Asus Z170 - I7 6700K - Ram 16 Go - SSD1 256 Go (OS/log) - SSD2 1To (rushes) - HDD 4To (save) - Nvidia Asus GTX970 - HDspark - Edius WG 9 - Vistitle 2.6 - Robuskey - Mercalli4 - Neat video - Ignite - Hitfilm4Pro - AV : Eset Nod32 - Others : Moniteur Sony 32-EX500 - Cam : Sony EX1-R - 2 x Sony PXW-X70 - 1 x Pana GH5
Edius in France
Marc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
DigitalDave

What Codecs are the different camera tracks.
Does track one play OK on ts own?
Is track 1 mp4 from a drone or action cam in a weird codec?
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc44 View Post
I work on a multicam project in HD 8 bits (6 cam).
When I am in multicam mode (F8), I understand the realtime is poor.
But, when I put off the option, I do desactivate the lowest tracks to get realtime.
It seems Edius handle all the tracks, rather to play only the upper track.
Same results in 8.53 and 9.3x.

Marc
What is the file format? Track counts without that info says nothing.

By that statement I mean that one 4K stream has about 4 times the data as a single HD stream, which in turn has about 5.5 times the data as a single SD stream, but that doesn't mean that the expected stream counts multiply by those numbers based on resolution, as the codecs used in the files, CPU speed, HDD speeds, HDD connections, and decode acceleration by GPU such as QuickSync, can also drastically effect the maximum stream counts. Also any effects applied to clips will reduce the simultaneous stream count.

Unless your system uses Quicksync to accelerate decode of your files, all the decode happens in the CPU. Heavier compression requires more CPU to decode and reduces potential simultaneous stream count, but requires less HDD space and the HDD doesn't have to be as fast to keep up. Files that use lighter compression require less CPU to decode, thereby increasing the potential simultaneous stream count, but do require larger HDD's and faster HDD's to keep up.

Playing 5 to 6 streams in real time is not bad, particularly if the files are in a heavily compressed format. Stream count is all about the balance between codec, CPU power/speed, HDD speeds, and effects that are applied.
Edius WG 9.51.5619, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #4
Marc44

5 cam (Sony X70) : XAVC-L / HD
1 cam (Pana GH5) : MP4 / UHD
The track in MP4-UHD is the lowest one (not used frequently).
Every track used only : it's OK, very easy to play.
Sometimes there are 2 or 3 tracks activated in the upper tracks;
And there, no realtime.
If the track with MP4 is on, while a clip is used in a track just above : no realtime.

A friend in France has the same problem with Edius 9.x

Marc
System : W7 Ultimate - MB: Asus Z170 - I7 6700K - Ram 16 Go - SSD1 256 Go (OS/log) - SSD2 1To (rushes) - HDD 4To (save) - Nvidia Asus GTX970 - HDspark - Edius WG 9 - Vistitle 2.6 - Robuskey - Mercalli4 - Neat video - Ignite - Hitfilm4Pro - AV : Eset Nod32 - Others : Moniteur Sony 32-EX500 - Cam : Sony EX1-R - 2 x Sony PXW-X70 - 1 x Pana GH5
Edius in France
Marc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:09 PM   #5
DigitalDave

Try converting a section of your UHD file to HQX. What happens then?
Also as Bern has said- NO FILTERS for Multicam.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #6
Liverpool TV

Hi Marc.

I can confirm the same thing with 8.5, maybe someone on 9 could confirm if it's any better.

For my use I typically only use a few video tracks and a number of graphics/titles but only use video tracks for titles etc. no A/V tracks, all audio on dedicated audio tracks. I very rarely use multicam.

I also have certain issues with realtime overload when adding just a simple title, were this can stop realtime. Also, certain audio codecs will do the same, from memory I think MP3 files aren't handled at all well, although I'd never use MP3 by choice.

From my observations Edius has always been the same up to 8.5, maybe 9 is different. Edius appears to process every video type asset in the timeline, even if there is only one video track/media that's actually visible to the output.

Another observation over time. Edius would appear to have great difficulty decoding certain media assets that shouldn't really need as much processing as other assets. An example would be adding a single audio track/asset and Edius stops running realtime, even though adding another video asset instead, say an HQ/X clip which by right would take more CPU power to decode compared to a simple audio asset, won't stop the ability for realtime.

I mostly have to trim and/delete unseen assets in order to achieve realtime in a complex edit. This suggests that Edius is processing absolutely everything regardless of its visible or not.

For straight drama type cutting using either a single or two video tracks, everything is fine and Edius will only run into issues with realtime when it's dealing with a complex video codec, which is exactly as expected.

David.

Just to answer your question with my experience of Edius. This will happen with any codec, although as I said, certain simple ones, especially audio, it has difficulty with and difficult ones are as expected. The bottom line from my observations is that Edius will disproportionately use more CPU power to decode relatively simple codecs/assets, visual and audible. It also appears to process everything regardless of if it's visible to the output or not.

Maybe using dedicated title tracks for titles would be better, that's my fault as I prefer to use video tracks for all visual assets.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #7
DigitalDave

Theres only 11 HD tracks here (attachment) but a mixture of ProRes, P2 and MXF.
No problems with RT in Multicam - E8.5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Multicam.jpg (469.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-16-2018, 03:01 PM   #8
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDave View Post
Theres only 11 HD tracks here (attachment) but a mixture of ProRes, P2 and MXF.
No problems with RT in Multicam - E8.5
Hi David.

Not being a big user of multicam could you explain something please.

Looking at that screen grab it looks like every cut/clip/track is muted other than the cut/clip/track that's actually viewable. Is that the case?

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #9
DigitalDave

Hi Dave
I use the waveform to sync tracks - (I just noticed one track was expanded on screenshot) A guide track of the audio mix is also synced. Then all VA audio is turned off.
Eventually the guidetrack will be replaced with a remastered mix.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #10
Ron Evans

Try playing the GH5 UHD track by itself. If you cannot play that then the issue is your PC is not up to the task. When you come out of multicam mode EDIUS will just play the active tracks. In multicam of course it is decoding and playing all tracks at a reduced resolution so a big load on the PC. All my projects are multicam. Either GH5, GH5S,AX100 in the main and occasionally AX53 as well. So mainly three tracks in a HD project with two GH5 UHD60P tracks and AX100 HD60P. I have to go to 1/2 resolution in EDIUS 8.53WG to get realtime playback. When I play the edit it can do that in full resolution. It was the same on my old 4790K system too. The difference I think in your case is the X70 XAVC-L which are likely 10bit tracks. Also all my GH5 files are also 8 bit internal UHD60P at 150Mbps.

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 17, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS