Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 01-18-2018, 05:15 AM   #11
Froggy

Thank you BernH for taking time to explain the ins and outs on this matter! My computer is older and work arounds are a blessing!

Froggy
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:05 AM   #12
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
Thank you BernH for taking time to explain the ins and outs on this matter! My computer is older and work arounds are a blessing!

Froggy
You are quite welcome. I have been building systems like this for 25 years, and back in the early days of non-linear editing, these "tips" were not actually tips, they were required workflow steps even with standard definition video because the systems were not nearly as powerful as they are today. Now we are beginning to find ourselves back in the situation where they become a necessity again because the media sizes and codec complexity are combining to pretty severely tax all but the highest end systems.

We also faced this when we went from SD to HD. HD video stores about 5.5 times as much data as SD, but generally the computers did not get 5.5 times as fast or powerfull right away. 4K essentially has about 4 times as much data as HD, but once again computers are not generally 4 times as fast or powerful as they were a couple of years ago, so we once again have to dust off the old tricks to continue to work relatively efficiently. With 5K and 6K already here and 8K looming these old techniques may start to play an even bigger role.

We recently purchased a Mistika system at work for $160,000 CDN, and what was the first thing the trainer said, (this guy did the colour and finish on the Lord of the Rings movies), .....convert all your media to the native JS media that the system likes to work with so it performs better. If that is recommended for the $160,000 system, it's also probably good advice for the $1600 system.

I know people love the fact that Edius can edit the majority of codecs and file types out there, but efficiency for the system is the thing that pays the price with non-native codecs. I will now, once again chant my mantra, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." What you should do is convert to a format that the NLE loves to work with so that it performs really well and you can then stop cursing, swearing and pulling your hair out, especially when your system is not the latest greatest thing out there.
Edius WG 9.50.5351, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Last edited by BernH; 01-19-2018 at 02:23 AM. Reason: fix typo
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #13
Gunn

Sorry to all who thought sarcasm was my intention. It was not. I attempted humor hoping you would accept my "Humorous NO" without thinking I was not appreciative of your advice. I do accept advice and revisit these posts of advice many times.

Only a few people (including one well known member of this forum) know what I am going to reveal today. I have a learning disability. In the past I have hidden my problem but now at my age (72) I really don't care.

My intelligence is not in question as I have tested much higher that the average person. My problem is receiving and storing information. You can read a technical paper and two days later use the information. I can not.
In the real world, what is easy for your can be extremely challenging for me.

Generally, I must work on one problem or one new tool at a time. I must build a base of knowledge and then add successive layers of knowledge.

Please make allowances...I am old....and challenged!

BTW, I reset my computer preferences to "Gaming" and now it digests 4K with enhancements w/o a hiccup!!!
Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:36 PM   #14
Barry C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post
You are quite welcome. I have been building systems like this for 25 years, and back in the early days of non-linear editing, these "tips" were not actually tips, they were required workflow steps even with standard definition video because the systems were not nearly as powerful as they are today. Now we are beginning to find ourselves back in the situation where they become a necessity again because the media sizes and codec complexity are combining to pretty severely tax all but the highest end systems.

We also faced this when we went from SD to HD. HD video stores about 5.5 times as much data as SD, but generally the computers did not get 5.5 times as fast or powerfull right away. 4K essentially has about 4 times as much data as HD, but once again computers are not generally 4 times as fast or powerful as they were a couple of years ago, so we once again have to dust off the old tricks to continue to work relatively efficiently. With 5K and 6K already here and 8K looming these old techniques may start to play an even bigger role.

We recently purchased a Mistika system at work for $160,000 CDN, and what was the first thing the trainer said, (this guy did the colour and finish on the Lord of the Rings movies), .....convert all your media to the native JS media that the system likes to work with so it performs better. If that is recommended for the $160,000 system, it's also probably good advice for the $1600 system.

I know people love the fact that Edius can edit the majority of codecs and file types out there, but efficiency for the system is the thing that pays the price with non-native codecs. I will now, once again chant my mantra, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." What you should do is convert to a format that the NLE loves to work with so that it performs really well and you can then stop cursing, swearing and pulling your hair out, especially when your system is not the latest greatest thing out there.
I really want to thank you for your post. You've helped me with a major dilema. I do a lot of time lapse work with a Sony A7R2 which has a still resolution of 7952×5304- essentially over 8K. Obviously a major bitch, but I manage with my present 4790K systems. Often, after color work, I've been outputting each clip as GV compressed lossless, then building the final timeline with these. Problem is, the highest output print to file res in Edius is 3840×2160, which means I loose true 4K res when I do Layouter crops, etc. By converting in the bin, as you describe, the full 7952×5304 res is maintained, and the HQX actually plays pretty well when res in Workgroup is dropped. THANKS, great tweak to my workflow!!
Old 01-20-2018, 10:23 PM   #15
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry C View Post
I really want to thank you for your post. You've helped me with a major dilema.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry C View Post
By converting in the bin, as you describe, the full 7952×5304 res is maintained, and the HQX actually plays pretty well when res in Workgroup is dropped. THANKS, great tweak to my workflow!!
You are quite welcome Barry. As I said, it all goes back to letting the system work in it native codecs.
Edius WG 9.50.5351, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
Old 02-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #16
jimstamos

In my case, im importing mxf files, via my ex1r. Should i convert those to HQX as well?
Im about to buy the new sony z90 camera that shoots xavcl and 4k.
my current version of edius wont edit those, I bought the upgraded version to install on a new computer, can u recommend specs. Im having it built at microcenter, they have always done a good job on my builds at a fair price.
Ill probably get the blackmajic intensity pro for playback on my hd monitor. So your recommendations on mobo, processor,graphic card( ive always used nvidia in past), ssd, and memory would be apprecated. I also burn alot of DVDs and burning a bluray takes forever. my current system is windows 7 pro, I7 950 with 3.07gb, 12gb ram. editing as been no issue, but with the new camera, i need a new system to handle those files. I really just need to uprade and have a 2nd one anyway.
thanks
jim
jimstamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:05 PM   #17
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstamos View Post
In my case, im importing mxf files, via my ex1r. Should i convert those to HQX as well?
Im about to buy the new sony z90 camera that shoots xavcl and 4k.
my current version of edius wont edit those, I bought the upgraded version to install on a new computer, can u recommend specs. Im having it built at microcenter, they have always done a good job on my builds at a fair price.
Ill probably get the blackmajic intensity pro for playback on my hd monitor. So your recommendations on mobo, processor,graphic card( ive always used nvidia in past), ssd, and memory would be apprecated. I also burn alot of DVDs and burning a bluray takes forever. my current system is windows 7 pro, I7 950 with 3.07gb, 12gb ram. editing as been no issue, but with the new camera, i need a new system to handle those files. I really just need to uprade and have a 2nd one anyway.
thanks
jim
You don't have to convert to HQX, unless you are finding that there are some performance issues. Using the convert to HQX option is simply going to convert the files into the least CPU intensive codec for Edius to use. Your new version of Edius will also have a proxy option, which I mentioned above. This is another way to edit those CPU intensive files easily, but it does reduce the quality. If using proxy mode, you just turn it off before output to revert to the original files.

As for hardware recommendations, without knowing any special features you are looking for it is hard to be precise.

As a general guide, I would say:
- the newest/fastest/highest core CPU that you can afford,
- minimum 16GB of RAM, more if you can afford it.
- If you want to avil of the Quicksync capabilities of an Edius/Intel setup, the CPU has to have a built in Intel GPU and it has to be active, as in connected to a monitor. You can use an nVida GPU as well to drive another monitor, but if you only have the one monitor and want Quicksync, then the nVidia will not be used, except as GPU acceleration to some plugins or other software, but not by Edius directly, in which case it may be a waste of money.
- Get a water cooler for the CPU, as it will get very hot when all the cores are cooking.
- if using spinning hard drives for video storage, get a RAID 0/strip set of 2 to 4 drives or a RAID 5 or 6 of 4 drives or more, and use good quality drives that are designed for RAID use.
- SSD's are great for speed for the OS drive, but will be very expensive if you want/need a large storage capacity for video, so the RAID configurations I just mentioned are more affordable for large capacity.
- For performance issues, make sure your motherboard/CPU combo can provide enough PCIe lanes to drive the blackmagic card, GPU, and any other cards that require them, but you may be required to run the nVidia GPU at x8 in order to use other cards, depending on the available PCIe lane count.

There are several other posts on the forum where these options have been discussed in great detail but those are probably even a little outdated now with regards to model numbers.

If you bring these general recommendations to the people doing your build, they should be able to give you a configuration that will work. You can even come back and post it here of you want some feedback, but there are many options out there that you would have to discuss with them to see if they are required and fit in your budget.

Last edited by BernH; 02-05-2018 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:33 AM   #18
Valentino_999

I followed your advice and converted the original files, but did not find out how to replace the files on the timeline with the transcoded ones, and hint on that? I cut and edited the whole timeline already, now wanted to add effects and titles but thats impossible for playback reasons. I hope I can replace the existing clips and don't need to start over :)
Valentino_999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #19
edver1

Working with UHD and having two monitors that are HD, are the GPU's ( Intel and the video card ) doing a resizing for those monitors that also slow's the play back ?
500 Gb M.2 Samsung SSD 970 Pro plus
1 TB M2 Samsung SSD 970Pro
SSD OCZ 256MB
WD 4TB HDD
edver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #20
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by edver1 View Post
Working with UHD and having two monitors that are HD, are the GPU's ( Intel and the video card ) doing a resizing for those monitors that also slow's the play back ?
Depending on the GPUs any rescaling of the GUI won’t be an issue.

That said. The scaling you are talking about is done by Edius/CPU and not the GPUs. If you check your GPU settings for monitor outputs you usually won’t be able to output anything beyond the resolution of the monitors. So, if the monitors are 1080 the highest setting you should see in the GPU control pane should be 1080.

Just to be clear. Your system resolution and frequency, windows/GPU/monitors etc., are independent of your Edius project setup.

Depending on your media assets and as you are not monitoring UHD. You may want to switch your Edius project to 1080 and then switch back to UHD for final output. I only suggest this as you won’t truly benefit from UHD when viewing 1080 anyway and you could give yourself a bit of extra processing back during the edit and then switch back to UHD for the output.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories