Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 11-30-2007, 12:36 AM   #1
japniz

Default ADVC 110 - PAL black and white caps?

I'm in the UK and am using a product bought in the US. Since the packaging made clear it could be set up for NTSC or PAL, I thought there would be no problem in using it here. However, on setting up the dip switches to capture PAL, I get audio and video but no colour.

The dip set up is nos. 1 and 6 are on, the others are off. (I changed no 1 to on since the instructions suggested that was a way of curing the problem. It made no difference.)

I'm capping from a Hitachi video in Analogue mode with a SCART plug in the vid going into the two audio inputs and one S-video input for the 110. I use the six-pin Firewire connection to the PC (p4 3.4, 1gb of 667mhz ram, GT 7600 256mb PCIe graphics card, on a Win XP service pack 2 system).

I've previously capped the video (archive of 8mm analogue home footage) using Pinnacle's DV500 card and break out box. The colour was present, although the overall quality once burned to DVD was not good - hence trying the Canopus for the first time. I'd hoped to compare the two caps side by side. (Capping inside Prem. Elements 2.)

Any suggestions as to how to correct get colour captures would be very welcome indeed.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:26 AM   #2
kbosward

See ADVC Family Common Problems & Solutions (last item on that page) for tips. I presume you have tried the same SCART to S-video cable on a TV to check that it is indeed sending colour?

Ken.
kbosward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:30 AM   #3
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

...and you power-cycled (unplug, wait 30 seconds, reconnect) the ADVC unit after changing the DIP switch settings, right?
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:35 AM   #4
japniz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
...and you power-cycled (unplug, wait 30 seconds, reconnect) the ADVC unit after changing the DIP switch settings, right?
Thanks, guys.

The set up is exactly the same as for the DV500, which -despite the quality - worked fine and in colour. And yes, I did the dip switch and 30 second wait (indeed more) and even rebooted with the new settings.

I will double check the cable, though, since you suggest it, Ken.

In capping, I also note that the LED indicator switches back to Digital In after each reboot, despite the dip switch position for it to be on Analogue In all the time. Is this significant?

Again, thanks.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

What software are you using to capture the stream? Maybe it's somehow "stuck" in NTSC mode...

You can try WinDV as a simple no-frills capture to reduce the number of variables here.

The switch to Digital In shouldn't be a problem - it's just "noticing" the reconnect.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:42 AM   #6
japniz

Quote:
What software are you using to capture the stream? Maybe it's somehow "stuck" in NTSC mode...

You can try WinDV as a simple no-frills capture to reduce the number of variables here.

The switch to Digital In shouldn't be a problem - it's just "noticing" the reconnect.
Thanks for that. As mentioned, I'm using Prem. Elem. 2 for capping. Everything is the same as when used for the DV500 captures, the only change is using the Canopus box.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

You completely uninstalled the DV500 software, drivers, etc, correct?
Old 12-10-2007, 06:02 AM   #8
japniz

Quote:
You completely uninstalled the DV500 software, drivers, etc, correct?
Actually, I haven't. I thought that, since the box was external, there would be no conflict - just a Firewire connection receiving a signal, just as it would be with taking caps directly from a digital camcorder. I'll take it out and have a try and see if that makes any difference.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:23 AM   #9
japniz

Have taken out the DV500 card and have tried to capture again from both video and a DVD player - again no colour!! The only thing left to change is the scart cable, despite it working with the original Pinnacle card.

Very frustrating - I had hoped I was buying something that would work straight out of the box.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:06 PM   #10
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Pinnacle software tends to leave things behind... I remember I installed a DC2000, then uninstalled it later, but the plug-in pop-up still showed up in Premiere.

Before you go to great lengths, I'd try it on another machine if you can.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC