Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 04-30-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
kwshaw1

Default Finally! Edius HD output which Encore accepts for Blu-ray

After a year or more of trying to find the best way to export HD content from Edius to Encore for making Blu-ray discs, I finally stumbled on a solution which works without requiring re-rendering in Encore. This seems so obvious now I'm not sure why I wasn't able to piece this together earlier, and for the benefit of those who haven't figured it out here's my new process.

(1) Export from Edius to Elementary Stream MPEG2 at one of the standard Blu-ray resolutions, either 1920x1080 or 1440x1080. For audio I'm currently using WAV to make sure there's no complications, but it may be possible that Dolby audio would also work.

(2) Create an Encore Blu-ray file with project settings matching your Edius output resolution, and make sure the maximum bit rate for the project is set high enough to meet your needs (Encore CS3 default is 15 Mbps). Also make sure the Encore audio setting matches your Edius output audio type.

(3) Import separate audio and video files as assets into Encore.

(4) In the Project tab info for your imported assets, right-click on the Blu-ray transcode settings to make sure they're on "Do Not Transcode". This will save you oodles of time when rendering Blu-ray output from Edius input files - and I suspect the quality will be better too.

Voila! Encore Blu-ray happiness...or at least I hope so after another day of fighting with Encore over all this.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:34 AM   #2
Paranova Films

Default edius-encore

i use HDV for exporter (Edius) and works fine

onto encore I also load it and the AC3 mix created in Premiere (audition exports to wma or wav but encore don't accept thoose) and -of course- use same settings to make the encore output... working good

GODZILLA WINDOWS 10 PRO 64BIT 32 Gb RAM, 4 INTEL CORE i7 3,30 Ghz, RAID 12 Tb HDD, NVIDIA GForce GTX980i, EDIUS 8 Workgroup with Blackmagic DeckLink 4K Extreme, ADOBE PRODUCTION STUDIO CS3, COREL MOVIE FACTORY 7

http://www.paranovafilms.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/paranovafilmsLTDA
Paranova Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
Bassman

Are you using Encore CS3 or CS4?

In CS4 I can not find a way to tell Encore to "not transcode".
Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
shueardm

I actually don't understand the problem (you had) Kevin. You don't need to tell Encore to not transcode, it just tells you it doesn't need it if you have setup the currecnt project to the same specs as the file.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by shueardm View Post
I actually don't understand the problem (you had) Kevin. You don't need to tell Encore to not transcode, it just tells you it doesn't need it if you have setup the currecnt project to the same specs as the file.
Mark,

Didn't we post those same steps well over a year and a half ago?
I know I did and even put the settings up again in March of this year.

http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...erry#post69123

Me thinks they try WAY TO HARD.
Jerry
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
kwshaw1

In my current project I got stuck because I used "Speed Encoder" to create M2T files with muxed audio, but apparently Encore prefers elementary stream content. Like I said, this seems obvious now that I've realized that, but somehow I didn't register that fact in previous discussions. Also, it's a headache figuring out all the places in Encore where project and trancode settings default to less than ideal values, so phooey on Adobe for using such defaults.

For the person who isn't seeing the option not to transcode, that's probably because your Edius output isn't compliant with what Encore expects - exactly the problem I've been trying to fix.

P.S. Thanks Jerry for making me sound dense, but the previous thread you referenced isn't particularly clear on a simple solution to the issue.

Last edited by kwshaw1; 04-30-2009 at 04:19 PM.
kwshaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
mattmatt

Don't be fooled by the the DVD status and Bluray status in the bin. I was going crazy once because I noticed it always said "Not transcoded" but that was for DVD....not Bluray, even in a Bluray project (Bluray status was fine but was hidden to the right - I need to expand the asset window)
Old 05-01-2009, 12:24 AM   #8
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwshaw1 View Post
In my current project I got stuck because I used "Speed Encoder" to create M2T files with muxed audio, but apparently Encore prefers elementary stream content. Like I said, this seems obvious now that I've realized that, but somehow I didn't register that fact in previous discussions. Also, it's a headache figuring out all the places in Encore where project and trancode settings default to less than ideal values, so phooey on Adobe for using such defaults.

For the person who isn't seeing the option not to transcode, that's probably because your Edius output isn't compliant with what Encore expects - exactly the problem I've been trying to fix.

P.S. Thanks Jerry for making me sound dense, but the previous thread you referenced isn't particularly clear on a simple solution to the issue.

You are not the only one that has missed the posts. Both Mark and I have posted these things on this forum and the DVDITPROHD forum. After a while you get tired of preaching and no one listening.

This is a text copy of the post. It addresses everything you have mentioned
in this post and the last. The pop up image on the original text gives the EXACT settings.
Once you encode with these settings, provided you have set the project settings
to the same within Encore, everything will function properly within Encore CS3....CS4 has other issues.

Rando,
These are the settings I use most. They work in CS3 and CS4(when CS4 works properly). You can substitute the 30k setting for 35k
and when PC3 opens the preset up it will give you an ac3 file setting as well.
This is not a hit or miss setting. It works EVERYTIME.
I prefer to do my conversions in another program just in case I decide to go synthetic 5.1.
These settings also work in DVDITPROHD as well.

If these don't work for you, something else is wrong. I do not work in 1280x720 so all you have to do is change the setting
to that resolution. Also, if you want 24p you will have to use 1280x720. Make sure your project is 24p from start to finish...
from Ingest to Output through transcode.

Load these into Edius. Set the frame rates to what you need.
Also with Encore, make sure you choose the similiar settings in presets when setting up your Encore project. Get it as close as possible. Not sure if this matters but I do it each time and all is well. Before build also check your project. In assest column you can see if it needs to be transcoded or not. Make sure you choose the blu-ray project output as well as disc, disc image or folder.
Attached Thumbnails

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Last edited by Jerry; 05-01-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
kwshaw1

I vaguely remember the earlier discussion and not being able to discern the pertinent points, which I've now realized includes sticking to elementary stream output. If anyone knows a way to render an Encore-compliant file using Speed Encoder, please do tell.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwshaw1 View Post
I vaguely remember the earlier discussion and not being able to discern the pertinent points, which I've now realized includes sticking to elementary stream output. If anyone knows a way to render an Encore-compliant file using Speed Encoder, please do tell.
I think the difference is that speed encoder creates a mpeg transport stream to send back to tape and Encore, and most authoring packages, require either an mpeg 2 elementary stream(some use program stream)in order to create the blu-ray.
Creating blu-ray is not much different than doing a dvd.
It just takes more time, bigger hard drives, more expensive media, and a cool head.

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS