Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 06-14-2007, 10:18 PM   #11
vincej

Yup - I can play both files at the end of the file as well as the beginning. good meaning the one which converted without breaking Procoder Express and the bad being the edited one which caused Expressed to give the error " bad file format"

Remember I captured these off an old Hi8 analogue camera using an ADVC55 converting it straight into dv.avi - would it still have have header and file size info ?

Thanks Vincej
Old 06-14-2007, 11:01 PM   #12
THoff

Yes, whatever software you use to capture the DV data coming from the ADVC writes the AVI (or in some cases some other container format) file and header.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:11 PM   #13
vincej

Ok - I'm not too sure what I should do to be correct about things.

I have an unedited file although converted to NTSC. It will play through to the end using Sony Vegas Movie studio. I can try re-editing in vegas

should I just be happy and get on with it ? or should I do something so that Gspot is happy ?

If so what is that ?

Thanks Vince
Old 06-14-2007, 11:17 PM   #14
THoff

You could try outputting the problematic file(s) to new DV AVI files using Vegas, and then test the new files using GSpot to see if that makes any difference.

Also, have you tried GSpot on any other files besides the one that started you on this journey? How about DV AVI files captured using Vegas?
Old 06-15-2007, 12:31 AM   #15
vincej

Ok - I'll give it a try - however to reiterate, I converted a file this morning last night which Express was quite happy with .. that is to say I did not get the error message "bad file format"

BUT perhaps Gspot does not like that one either ?? Please advise:

details:

Note: 14.6 GB unneeded bytes at end of file
DV Type 2 AVI
Multipart OpenDML AVI (5 parts)
(166582 frames in first part, -3 frames follow)

I have noticed that hte last 3 frames of these files are garbage. does that matter ?

If I am going to try capturing in Vegas using my ADCV55 will I get revealing and accurate results with say only a 15 minute capture or must I do the whole 90 mins ?

Many Thanks Vince
Old 06-15-2007, 02:21 AM   #16
THoff

From where I'm sitting, I can't tell you where the problem is or whether this affects all your files.

All I know is that GSpot V2.70a does not report problems with the DV AVI files on my system, but they are also all NTSC and not PAL. However, I'm not aware of any problems that GSpot may have with PAL DV AVI files, so I'm inclined to think that there is in fact something wrong.

Another thing you can try is DVDate. It's a free program to primarily overlay the timecode on video, but it also does PAL to NTSC conversions and some file repairs.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:58 AM   #17
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

If it's a particularly large file (i.e. long runtime), then it makes me want to know - how long has it been since you ran a full-level hard drive error scan?
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:11 PM   #18
vincej

thanks - U have downloaded DVDate and looked at it untill I have square eyes. I can see that it will change dates, formats Pal / NTSC etc but for the life of me I can not see how it fixes files > where and how does it do this ? any ideas ?

Many thanks Vincej

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder