Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 06-13-2007, 11:52 PM   #21
tarkken

You recommended making a Canopus HQ file - If I'm editing DVCPRO 1080i footage on a native 1280x1080 timeline, do you recommend making a file from there (assuming a Canopus HQ 1280x1080 file), or do you recommend changing the settings to full HD (1920x1080i) and making a 1920x1080 HQ file - then feeding it into ProCoder?

I'm skeptical about the blur - but who knows.

Do you think it's possible that it would truly reduce the jags/tearing & moire, or will the image just get softer overall?

Thanks again.
tarkken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:18 AM   #22
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

At first the image will get softer, but the downscaling will reverse the softening. The blur is to reduce the small details that can often throw the downscaling off.

For example, if there's a bunch of red and a tiny blue speck, it might get "averaged in" when downscaling, resulting in red and a purple speck when in reality the blue speck might've been a flaw - one that is now made more noticeable in the lower-resolution.

The blur would "smooth out" the blue speck, so you end up with less of an apparent flaw.

The pixel aspect compensation shouldn't be a problem, so I'd blur and export 1280x1080, though you might want to experiment to see what works best for your footage.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:32 AM   #23
tarkken

Thanks again - I'll give it a try.

I should have asked a fundamental question: are you recommending transcoding in ProCoder to an SD Mpeg file for DVD or an SD DV file? Not sure if this would work on both or not.

Was assuming you were saying Mpeg - but didn't want to kill a million DVD's trying it out - and a lot of time.

Thanks again.
tarkken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:14 AM   #24
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Either one. My recommendation would be to render out a *file*, then check the file on-screen first. If the artifacts are bad, you'll definitely see them on screen.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder