Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus

Old 07-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
TrackRanger

Default Capture Settings for best resolution screen capture?

I purchased a Pegasus card because the Twinpact resolution was so bad. I want to capture graphics data from a monitor into a HD format suitable for use in Edius (PAL output). The data content will be in the form of graphs and charts etc, so good resolution is imperative.

I've purchased a Gigabyte GeoForce 9800 GX2 graphics card, to run in the display computer because it has native HDMI.

Pegasus was introduced to overcome the limitations of the Twinpact, so I'm sure there must be a suitable setup. But no matter what I've tried, the captured screen data is lousy, completely unusable.

Could anybody suggest what the settings I should use for good High Resolution capture. i.e. what should my video screen resolution be set to, and what should my Pegasus be set to?

TIA
Intel Quad Core Extreme 3GHz/12M, 4Gb RAM, 2Tb Hot-swap (ARAID), NVIDIA GeoForce 8800 GTS, Edius Broadcast 4.61 / Edius 5.5, Procoder 3, DVDit Pro HD, Sonicfire Pro 5, Mercalli, Vitascene, Adorage. TwinPact 100, Pegasus, TMPro. VirtualDub

Last edited by TrackRanger; 07-02-2008 at 03:34 PM.
TrackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Capture from a graphics card (ie. RGB) has a maximum capture resolution of 1280 x 1024 (@ 30 fps). Exactly what is meant by "lousy, completely unusable" ?
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:34 AM   #3
TrackRanger

So the HDMI input cannot come from a Graphics card with native HDMI output?

The image quality is fuzzy. Haven't been able to get a screen grab to show you.

I can capture in HDMI under certain settings eg if I set the output screen res to 1920 x 1200 60Hz and the capture to Pegasus settings either
HDMI 1920 x 1080 59.94
or
HDMI 1280 x 1080 59.94
I get something reasonable, but am trying to get as sharp as possible
Thanks KH
Intel Quad Core Extreme 3GHz/12M, 4Gb RAM, 2Tb Hot-swap (ARAID), NVIDIA GeoForce 8800 GTS, Edius Broadcast 4.61 / Edius 5.5, Procoder 3, DVDit Pro HD, Sonicfire Pro 5, Mercalli, Vitascene, Adorage. TwinPact 100, Pegasus, TMPro. VirtualDub
Old 07-03-2008, 05:58 AM   #4
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

The fuzziness is quite possibly related to interlacing..

Do this - set the PC resolution to 1280 x 1024 30p. Then capture the matching resolution from HQ Recorder, and see how it looks.

You can create screen captures of footage from VLC - www.videolan.org
Old 07-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
TrackRanger

Thanks KH
PC Graphics card Resolution is set to 1280x1024 60Hz refresh (no option to set monitor to 30p?...)
Pegasus is set to 1024x1280 30p

Take first screen capture while connected directly to monitor

Disconnect the RGB cable from the monitor and connect to Pegasus

Take another screen capture.

Attached are two files Screen Direct (<PrintScreen>) directly on the display monitor before connecting to Pegasus
and Screen Capture, with the same video RGB cable resolution etc connected to Pegasus instead of the monitor.

Using every option, new good quality RGB cables, tried HDMI interconnection, always similar to attached. Not good quality image. Far below the standard of the original image on the 1024x1280 monitor.

All suggestions welcomed...
Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen_Direct_1024x1280.jpg (330.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Screen_Capture_1024x1280.jpg (235.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by TrackRanger; 07-03-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

(It helps when I actually look at the graphics board first)

Ok, time to test something. Have you got a DVI-to-HDMI cable or adapter?

This is what I'd like to know:

- Run a DVI-to-HDMI cable from one of the DVI ports (or use an adapter and your existing HDMI cable) to the Pegasus HDMI input
- Run the other DVI output to a monitor
- Configure ForceWare to Cloneview, and make the (now-detected) HDRECS board the primary display (for overlay purposes)
- Set your resolution accordingly (e.g. 1280x1024)
- Instruct HQ Recorder to capture DVI input at 1280x1024

Post your results!
Old 07-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
TrackRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
(It helps when I actually look at the graphics board first)

Ok, time to test something. Have you got a DVI-to-HDMI cable or adapter?

This is what I'd like to know:

- Run a DVI-to-HDMI cable from one of the DVI ports (or use an adapter and your existing HDMI cable) to the Pegasus HDMI input
- Run the other DVI output to a monitor
- Configure ForceWare to Cloneview, and make the (now-detected) HDRECS board the primary display (for overlay purposes)
- Set your resolution accordingly (e.g. 1280x1024)
- Instruct HQ Recorder to capture DVI input at 1280x1024

Post your results!
Hmmm
No sure I follow.
Have DVI-DVI, DVI-HDMI, HDMI-HDMI cables etc.
The first step is to connect the cable from DVI to the Pegasus HDMI input. Can do.
The last step is to capture from the DVI input at 1280x1024

1: If the input is connected to HDMI how can it capture from DVI?
2: HDMI does not have a 1280x1024 option
3: Can I use NVIDIA control panel or Windows Display Properties Settings to set the primary display? I don't think ForceWare supports Gigabyte GeoForce 9800 GX2 graphics card

TIA
Old 07-03-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Sorry, when I say "ForceWare" I'm referring to the NVIDIA control panel. :)

1. DVI-to-HDMI goes to Pegasus
2. DVI-to-DVI goes to your regular computer monitor
3. Your Pegasus board should be detected as a new display (like any monitor)
4. Use the NVIDIA control panel to set multiple displays, and have it clone your view
5. Make sure the Pegasus board is the primary display (so, when making the cloned view, Pegasus should be "1." and your monitor "2." in the drop-down list)
6. Now open up HQ Recorder and set the input to DVI*, making sure the resolution is matching the desktop resolution
7. If all is correct, you should get that weird recursive picture-in-picture effect
8. Set your recording parameters and file name/location and start recording!

* The way HQ Recorder works is on the source connection type, not the target connection. In this case, you're starting with DVI, so that's what you need to capture. The fact it winds up in HDMI or 7-pin miniDIN is irrelevant.

Thinking some more in the past hours, I recall there being some extra special settings for HDMI output under "Custom Resolutions" or maybe "HDTV settings" in the NVIDIA control panel. You need to make sure those are are set correctly, if you plan to capture from the HDMI on the graphics card.

But I reckon if you follow the steps above, you should end up with some nice footage..
Old 07-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #9
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Forgot to add something.

If you're using an LCD panel as your PC display, it's a really good idea to set (in the NVIDIA control panel) the scaling option to "Do Not Scale"

This makes it much, much easier to operate your PC while capturing...a more, WYSIWYG feel.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #10
TrackRanger

(I have checked and the graphics card works as dual monitor cloned display with same output on two monitors, so I know the graphics outputs are working)
I have DVI out of graphics card connected to Pegasus HDMI
I have other video cable connected to an LCD monitor
NVIDA Control Panel shows HDRECS and ACER 241W with HDRECS as primary display (see screen grab)
I presume the Pegasus Board is correctly detected because NVidia shows HDRECS as one of the displays
I set resolution to 1280x1024 60Hz refresh
I set scaling to Do Not Scale
I set the HQ Recorder to DVI 1280x1024
Nothing. See 2nd screen grab.
I take the HDMI cable out of the Pegasus and connect to another monitor and I get vision on that second monitor.
I connect it back to the Pegasus. Nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenDUalSetup.jpg (88.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg PegasusDisplay.jpg (22.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by TrackRanger; 07-04-2008 at 12:33 AM.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus