Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 06-03-2007, 05:56 AM   #1
boatbldr

Default Firecoder vs Procoder Express

I am using Procoder Express out of Let's Edit 2.0, and currently I am achieving about a 1 to 3 ratio of live time to encoding time (i.e. 1 hour of live video takes 3 hours to encode) for 2 pass VBR encoding.

Four questions if I may be so bold for a beginner:
1) Is it even technically feasible or even possible to use the firecoder in place of procoder?
2) Would purchasing the Firecoder even help to improve my "real time" ratio problem, or should I not even bother?
3) And then, if I do get the performance improvement, will I get such a radical drop in quality that I should not even bother (I have heard elsewhere that the Procoder algorithms are pretty good)
4) I use DVD LAB pro for my menus - does the firecoder output allow DVD LAB PRO to recognise that it does not need to re-encode the file?

For reference sake, my work flow is using XP SP2, Intel P4 3.4 gig, 2 Gig RAM, starting with ADVC300 through Lets Edit 2.0 to Procoder Express 2.0 to DVD LAB PRO.

Thanks!
regards
MJ
boatbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:35 AM   #2
Zorro

Some thoughts:

1. FireCoder is a 1x PCI-Express card. With an older motherboard, you're out of luck.

2. With a DualCore CPU equipped machine the FireCoder will be faster than realtime.

3. Supported hosts (direct encoding via a plugin):

- Grass Valley EDIUS
- Adobe Premiere 6.5
- Adobe Premiere Pro 1.x

You would have to render a DV *.avi first when using Let'sEdit and then use the FireCoder as a standalone unit.

4. FireCoder's quality is really ok when doing high data rates (CBR 8000) but with PCE you're still more flexible and slightly better in quality, especially when doing lower rates (5000-6000).
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:19 AM   #3
boatbldr

Zorro - thanks for the reply...

Zorro said "You would have to render a DV *.avi first when using Let'sEdit and then use the FireCoder as a standalone unit."

The ADVC300 with Letsedit creates an AVI file while capturing. Also, with a digital camera and without the ADVC 300, you get the AVI in Lets edit by default. I then use those AVI files in lets edit to create my time line. Are you saying I then have to render with procoder first to AVI and then use the firecoder? If so, where is the performance advantage?

Second question, why hasn't Canopus/GValley released a plugin for the firecoder for a lets edit/procoder express environment? It is after all their own product...????? And if not why is there no upgrade path to Edius from lets edit? There is one in Australia, but not N America????? Wazzzup with that?

In conclusion, what is the most cost effective way to improve my encoding performance - I have nearly a terabyte of Canopus captured AVI stuff, how to improve that?

Thanks
regards
MJ
boatbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:01 AM   #4
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbldr View Post
Second question, why hasn't Canopus/GValley released a plugin for the firecoder for a lets edit/procoder express environment? It is after all their own product...?????
Let's EDIT is no longer a current product.
Quote:
And if not why is there no upgrade path to Edius from lets edit? There is one in Australia, but not N America????? Wazzzup with that?
There are global promotions and regional promotions. Sounds like that's regional.
Quote:
In conclusion, what is the most cost effective way to improve my encoding performance - I have nearly a terabyte of Canopus captured AVI stuff, how to improve that?
The most practical way would be to get another computer, network it with your editor, run a Watch Folder on it, and let it chug away.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder