Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 10-22-2019, 10:23 PM   #1
HighwayMedia

Default Exporting in 5.1

We are exporting a feature length documentary to be played in a local theater with 5.1 surround sound. I'd like to take advantage of the ProLogic setup by keeping voices in the front, center speaker and music & effects on the front and back speakers. Can anyone provide direction on this or advise me where to find instructions? The project is edited, but evidently might need some reworking to do this properly. Please help! Thank you.
HighwayMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:53 AM   #2
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayMedia View Post
We are exporting a feature length documentary to be played in a local theater with 5.1 surround sound. I'd like to take advantage of the ProLogic setup by keeping voices in the front, center speaker and music & effects on the front and back speakers. Can anyone provide direction on this or advise me where to find instructions? The project is edited, but evidently might need some reworking to do this properly. Please help! Thank you.
Hi Mark.

Iíve not checked in the later versions but itís probably worth mentioning that Edius doesnít do surround panning. Youíd already have to have a premixed surround mix and then feed Edius the stems. From there you just assign the correct routing for the Edius outputs to encode to the correct surround channels.

If this has changed in later versions Iím quite sure someone will let you know.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:58 AM   #3
Liverpool TV

BTW. This may help. It’s 5.1 for a typical Dolby Digital AC3 output not Prologic. It’s probably worth bearing in mind that Prologic isn’t a discreet 5.1 standard, you’re probably best using DD.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vvcg0d..._TEST.zip/file

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Old 10-23-2019, 10:48 AM   #4
David Clarke

Dave is correct and EDIUS cannot mix surround sound but can output it. So you would have to mix it in something else and then make 6 wav files - one for each channel. Then put them on their own tracks in EDIUS and "route" the output to the right places.
I made a video about doing this with EDIUS 7 and it should be the same in EDIUS 9: http://www.dvctraining.co.uk/free-tr...edius-secrets/.
It is covered in the third chapter you can see lower down the page.

How are they going to play your masterpiece? Are you going to make a Blu-ray or DVD or are you providing them with an MP4 file or something similar?
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
ulyssesvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
Dave is correct and EDIUS cannot mix surround sound but can output it. So you would have to mix it in something else and then make 6 wav files - one for each channel. Then put them on their own tracks in EDIUS and "route" the output to the right places.
I made a video about doing this with EDIUS 7 and it should be the same in EDIUS 9: http://www.dvctraining.co.uk/free-tr...edius-secrets/.
It is covered in the third chapter you can see lower down the page.

How are they going to play your masterpiece? Are you going to make a Blu-ray or DVD or are you providing them with an MP4 file or something similar?
can edius do it using a audio plug in?
ulyssesvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:40 AM   #6
David Clarke

Not that I know of. I can't see how it would work without EDIUS being reprogramed. EDIUS can take 6 separate tracks and route them to the correct speakers for output - front left, right, centre etc but has not way to pan a clip between 6 different tracks so you can't decide what appears where.

The best you can do with EDIUS is put all the dialogue on the audio track that becomes the centre and then stick the music and effects coming out of the front left and right and maybe back left and right, with the volume a bit lower. There is no way to make an LFE track. So in other words you could do a quick, dirty and fairly bad attempt or take the sound into something else and make the mix. Something like Audition would work. For free I am not sure if Audacity does it but you may be able to do the sound work in Resolve and make 6 audio tracks from that. I have never used Resolve for surround sound but pretty sure even the free version has the option to mix it.

As I have it, I would use Audition.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
Jerry

Here's a 5.1 template with a sample file and selective monitoring included.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 5.1 Template w_sample audio and monitoring.zip (19.36 MB, 13 views)
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #8
JohnnyD

The OP is correct about "ProLogic setup". He's referring to the theaters playback system with probably uses at least ProLogic II. Prologic is a decoder, not an encoder.

I've tried Da Vinci's Fairlight audio program and it's really quite nice. 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 output, etc. I really like that you can move the audio in 3D space and place anywhere in the room. Not bad for free.

Nice tut for 5.1 output on an older version of Reslove but the use of Fairlight
for surround is pretty much the same in newer versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnNOjHbc8j0

Just my take on easier surround sound editing. Oh, you could output a DCP in Resolve if you want.
JohnFellersProd

Last edited by JohnnyD; 10-23-2019 at 07:54 PM.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:31 PM   #9
Liverpool TV

Prologic is an encode and decode process just as DD is. Its main difference is the lack of discreet channels, reduced frequency response and phase differentials to emulate certain surround and separation. DD and other similar technologies have truly discreet channels with full frequency response and with true positioning that doesnít rely on phase differential due to completely isolated channels.

Old 10-23-2019, 10:42 PM   #10
JohnnyD

I would just encode to Dolby Digital/AC3 or DTS, which I feel is better. Forget Dolby Surround.
JohnFellersProd
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS