Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 11-08-2018, 05:11 AM   #1
Derek Hart

Default Audio Out Of Sync

I have read some other threads and I am just stumped at how to get a file downloaded from Zoom working properly in Edius. I downloaded an mp4 file, and when I play it on my computer, it works fine, in sync. I then download an m4a audio file that Zoom makes separately, and it's out of sync in the same way.

The file starts off okay, but half way through it starts getting a few frames out of sync with audio, and gets worse.

But then I converted the file in Audacity, and it starts off bad, and comes into sync by the end.

Totally unpredictable.

I brought the audio files into Audacity, and tried exporting in many different ways, the audio from the mp4 itself, and the separate m4a file, converted to wav. I exported in Audacity choosing the type of "Other uncompressed files" and Wav, signed 24-bit pcm. I believe I need to find a way to export to uncompressed 48000, but not sure how.

I get varying results inside Edius. But the file plays fine on its own. What can I look at here?

These are the properties from one of the files:
https://www.screencast.com/t/1D42we9L

Help!?!

Last edited by Derek Hart; 11-08-2018 at 06:58 AM.
Derek Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:32 AM   #2
IVPR

I have no solution for you except to say my Zoom H1 does the same and is set to .wav 16bit 48Khz. My Roland R09HR is set to the same settings and stays in sync on the timeline, even after 2hrs recording.

I just keep an eye on the Zoom and shift the audio a few frames on timeline around the 25 min mark. Would be nice if it stayed in sync though. i think Zooms are what they are. Cheap(er) and sometimes nasty.

Edius 9.51 WG - HD Spark - Win7 Pro 64 bit SP1 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H -Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - 32 GB Dual Channel DD3 @ 667MHz - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT640 - Pioneer BD-RW BDR-206 and LG Optical Drives - VisTitle 2.8 - NeatVideo4 - TMPAW6 - TMPMW5 -TMPG mpeg plug-in - TMPG AVC plug-in - Also Edius 6.08 on XP
IVPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
noafilm

My experience with zoom recorders that I used before and now my tascam recorders is that they don't hold sync. In the past I used to correct the drift in adobe audition because once you determine how much the drift is then it was just a matter of adding the same value and let audition correct.

Because all my zoom recorders stopped working (I had 2 h4's and one h1) I switched to tascam but never got to calculating how much they actually deviate so now I just do like IVPR and shift the audio on the timeline to make it match again.

From what I have seen and heared from users that work with premiere, resolve or vegas this has become a somewhat automated process to sync and fix audio drift, something edius still is not able to do, you could use plural eyes but I believe it is not integrated into edius so you need to make a roundtrip.

Grassvalley has promised that audio syncing will be a part of edius in version 9 but I don't know if they also will be looking into fixing audio drift at the same time, I hope they do because otherwise it's a useless feature.
noafilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
Derek Hart

My bad on Zoom. I meant the file comes from Zoom.us, the meeting service. Not sure that matters though. It's a file that's fine to start with, and Edius screws it up. I guess I have to go through and make adjustments throughout.

How do I do that, other than breaking up into clips all throughout. I then have to add video transitions I guess.

Are there any other methods to accomplishing this without actually making the video have transitions?
Derek Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #5
Ron Evans

The reason is likely clock drift. Vegas will be able to stretch or squeeze the file to fit . I too have given up on my Zoom recorders as I always had to get them in sync with my guide track from the camcorder. But using the audio track from the camcorder, Vegas will allow you to match waveforms by stretching or squeezing the file to match. The first zoom I had was not consistent and I had to even do the sync in sections !!!

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 17, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
tingsern

I have given up on the Zoom recorders. As the others have found out, the clock does drift - you pay peanuts, you get .......

I use my Sound Devices 702T and 744T - even after 5 hours of recording, the audio is still at par with my Panasonic UX180 ....
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS