Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 02-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
burnandreturn

Default Solid State Drives?

Has anyone here used any of the new Solid State Drive's for editing?

The largest that I found was 64GB. Relatively expensive compared to normal HD's but maybe they would help the workflow editing in Edius 5 AVCHD files.
Just a question. They can be used in a raid I read.

I was thinking if one coupled the SSD's with the intel core i7 and DDR3 ram with the right Graphics card it might help to edit native AVCHD? any thoughts?
burnandreturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
redgum

The SSD's run relatively 3 times faster than Sata II which translates into a very efficient Raid 0. I did a review on a pair in Raid 0 just recently using Premiere and there is a noticeable difference in efficiency.
At the moment unit cost is way too high and size far too small to make it economic. But who knows what will happen tomorrow?
Unfortunately I needed to give the drives back.
redgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
burnandreturn

I would like to buy the Panasonic HMC 151(pal) camcorder but I want to be able to edit the AVCHD files natively and have a fast ingest. I like the camcorder because of its low light capabilities.

So I thought I would build the fastest computer that can be built to edit in Edius 5.

I hate waiting for anything to load, boot, transfer. I would go the P2 route but I haven't found a good low light camera.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
mattie

you wont get better than a SONY EX1/EX3 - i can film with a candle!
(or wait for the new JVC HM100 solid state camera due in April)

PS - AVCHD slowness has NOTHING to do with Hard disk speed - its a processor thing - just avoid AVCHD if u dont want to convert it to an editable file type
mattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
SRsupport
Grass Cutter Gold

The problems are not the drives with AVCHD but the cpu.

So even with solid state drives you will have the same issues and the cpu can't decode it fast enough.

AVCHD is encoded max at 24 mbit = 3 Megabyte per second . Any SATA hardrive can handle that times over.

That's the reason you can write it to : SDHC or dvd while recording on on the camcorder.
For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Last edited by SRsupport; 02-11-2009 at 01:48 PM.
SRsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
burnandreturn

I just thought the transferring of the files off the cards would go faster.

The new Intel core i7 with the better handling of memory and all won't this help either?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
SRsupport
Grass Cutter Gold

Transfer will be as fast as the read spead of the cards you are off loading . So if the cards can only be read at lets say 4 MB per second ...you get the picture.
(Maybe solid-state drives would help if you would transfer many cards at the same time)
Don't know if The Intel core i7will can decode AVCHD fast enough for it to be realtime,
If fast turn around is a must for you I think it is better not to invest in AVCHD.
For now you will have to covert it to HQ for smooth editing.
AVCHD is too compressed.
For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Last edited by SRsupport; 02-11-2009 at 02:36 PM.
SRsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
peterC

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnandreturn View Post
Has anyone here used any of the new Solid State Drive's for editing?

The largest that I found was 64GB. Relatively expensive compared to normal HD's but maybe they would help the workflow editing in Edius 5 AVCHD files.
Just a question. They can be used in a raid I read.

I was thinking if one coupled the SSD's with the intel core i7 and DDR3 ram with the right Graphics card it might help to edit native AVCHD? any thoughts?

Fast 128GB SSD's RAID review

256GB SSD review
(Please don't throw stones, it works!)
Edius 9 v3
peterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
tingsern

I think the fastest SSD so far is the one by Intel. But, all SSD today - has a limited number of write cycles - they wear away after you exceed that limit. Wait for the new Ferromagnetic memories ....
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
burnandreturn

Because we use our equipment in a not very friendly enviorment (dust and bouncing)I like the idea of solid state. Is there a way to take one of these larger capacity 256 GB ssd's and put it in some housing and connect to the camera directly and write to it while videoing? That would solve several issues.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories