Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 04-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #11
noafilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpro View Post
1. Forget AMD. Lots of bugs, no optimization in Edius
My experience is exactly the opposite, no bugs and very good optimization with edius 9wg.

I did have my share of problems right after I purchased the system though, first problem was related to a corrupt bios which took a while before it was found. I was not able to install my memory in a quad channel config as the pc refused to boot, in the shop where I bought the pc they found out it was a corrupt bios, after reinstalling the bios the memory was possible to run in a quad channel config and at a stable overclocked 3200mhz.

Second problem appeared to be related to "HPET", I was getting bad benchmark scores which where not in line with scores that I found from other users online, mine where about half their scores, after I disabled "useplatformclock" using "cmd" in windows my benchmark score doubled. This issue and the solution was found on a overclockerforum because many users where experiencing performance problems.

Third problem was related to edius 8wg, during encoding edius used only a small percentage of all available cores so rendertimes where long, then I saw a edius 9 user reporting he got much better usage and after I purchased the edius 9wg upgrade I get a lot higher cpu usage which can vary between 70 to almost 100% depending which format I render to.

What is also nice is that at full load with rendertimes of over an hour my processor doesn't go above 55deg celcius.

From what I read online performance can vary because not all cores are used in a efficient way, especially premiere users complain a lot while I also see the opposite who are very happy with the performance. One of the problems also seems compatible memory, something I have no issue with but many other users are not able to run their memory at higher speeds.

I think the 8700K is currently still the best value/performance choice if you don't want to spend too much on a pc. A issue I had with my previous i7 4790k and quicksync was that with long renders the rendering got slower after an hour, maybe because of overheating that the speed was dialled back? Not sure about that but I could see a clear performance hit if the pc needed to do long encoding.

At this moment (*knocks on wood*) my threadripper configuration is running fine and giving me a good editing experience in Edius9wg.
Threadripper 1950x 10% overclocked, Edius 8+9, Asus PRIME X399-A, 32GB 3200-16 Vengeance LPX running @ 3200mhz, Palit 6GB GTX 1060 StormX, Enermax LiqTech TR4 240 watercooling, Antec EDGE 750 powersupply, Intensity pro 4K, 250GB 960 EVO for OS, 1TB 960 EVO and 6TB WD black drive for editing, Fractal D. Define XL R2 case, win 10 pro and a Steinberg ur22mkII audio interface with rokit5 krk studiomonitors
noafilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:36 AM   #12
dvpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by noafilm View Post
My experience is exactly the opposite, no bugs and very good optimization with edius 9wg.
At this moment (*knocks on wood*) my threadripper configuration is running fine and giving me a good editing experience in Edius9wg.
Thank you for your detailed description and observations. You were the first on the forum to build a Threadripper 1950X PC for Edius. I had read your posts and I wanted to try myself.
I was fortunate to have at the same time 3 PCs (in the meantime I sold the AMD CPU, still have the MB) and for my domain of work, multicam concerts, documentary, commercials etc 8700K is better. Thanks to Quick Sync and higher clock speed.

I probably had bad luck with my AMD config - motherboard Asrock Taichi and I use Noctua air cooling. You have Asus motherboard and water cooling. I don't know. The good thing is Intel finally has competition.

When I sad Edius optimization I meant Intel Quick Sync acceleration for encoding and decoding h264 and h265 files - filter, multiple tracks and export. Not for AMD processors.

One more thing. Correct me if is incorrect. Threadripper has a dynamic temperature on the Tctrl offset. So 55C for the actual Tdie Temperature + 27C offset is 82C.

Intel i9-7960X, Alphacool Eisbaer 280 CPU Cooler, ASUS TUF X299 MARK 1, 64GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro P4000, Samsung M.2 SSDs, Intensity Pro 4K, Windows 10, BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900

Intel i7-8700K, Noctua NH-D15, Asus Z370 Prime, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX1050TI, Samsung M.2 SSDs, Windows 10, Fractal Design Define R5
dvpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:07 AM   #13
CentralEurope

Quote:
my AMD config - motherboard Asrock Taichi and I use Noctua air cooling.
hello ... I have Asrock Taichi + 1950X .... and a lot of problems
look here at post #5

I go now repentant back to Intel ... i9-7980XE + ASUS WS X299 PRO

____
Hans
[AMD 1950X 16cores / 32 threads = go return because of massive problems, Not only I had these problems]
CentralEurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:33 AM   #14
noafilm

Quote:
I had read your posts and I wanted to try myself.
Now you are making me feel bad :) Central europe had the same board as you had so most likely there is something seriously wrong with them? But I can understand you"d loose trust in a platform if this happens, I can only hope I will be saved from these kind of problems. I still have 1,5 year warranty and enough work this year to see if the processor or motherboard will cause problems by overheating, if I get serious problems like you got I certainly will report about it here.

Quote:
motherboard Asrock Taichi and I use Noctua air cooling. You have Asus motherboard and water cooling. I don't know.
When I ordered my watercooling this model just came out specifically designed for the threadripper as the surface it covered on the processor was much bigger then all other standard cooling solutions, from tests I read these new coolers that covered the entire sensor did a much better job in keeping the temps down.

Quote:
Correct me if is incorrect. Threadripper has a dynamic temperature on the Tctrl offset. So 55C for the actual Tdie Temperature + 27C offset is 82C.
I have no idea, I only see the temps on a program called cpuid hardware info that I let run in the background but if it would be the case as you said it still would be well within safety margins. I intend to keep monitoring my cpu temps on long renders so I can easily see if my cooling would fail.
Threadripper 1950x 10% overclocked, Edius 8+9, Asus PRIME X399-A, 32GB 3200-16 Vengeance LPX running @ 3200mhz, Palit 6GB GTX 1060 StormX, Enermax LiqTech TR4 240 watercooling, Antec EDGE 750 powersupply, Intensity pro 4K, 250GB 960 EVO for OS, 1TB 960 EVO and 6TB WD black drive for editing, Fractal D. Define XL R2 case, win 10 pro and a Steinberg ur22mkII audio interface with rokit5 krk studiomonitors
noafilm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories