Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 06-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
OneQuickSix

Default OLD RAID0 Array Dying ... Will Modern HD fit the bill?

I have a RAID0 Array (2x 120GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm drives) in an old Storm System I still use. It's a 3.2GHZ-HT P5 that still does decent work ... I even do some After Effects and 3D work on it. Unfortunately, I noticed some problems lately with playback inside Edius and finally figured out the RAID0 array is probably going up. (Chkdsk can not complete, RAID BIOS test says FAILED on second drive, CODE 7, etc.)

Sooooo ... I'm just wondering if I bought a modern SATA drive to replace the array. Say a 500GB to 1TB WD 7200rpm with 32 or 64mb cache, would it compare in performance to the old RAID0 setup? StormTest regularly gave me READ/WRITE SPEEDS of 70-80+/MB/s. Can modern drives come close to this? I'm kind of doubting it, but was just curious. Didn't want to have to build a new RAID array if it wasn't necessary.

Thank you for any insight/info!

-Tim

Last edited by OneQuickSix; 06-13-2011 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Wrong size descriptors for hard drive.
OneQuickSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
antonsvideo

I doubt they make drives as small as 500MB to 1GB

I would get a 1TB Western Digital RE4 Enterprise Sata II drive, it should do 105MB/sec or 210MB/sec in Raid0 mode using 2 drives

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
OneQuickSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
I doubt they make drives as small as 500MB to 1GB

I would get a 1TB Western Digital RE4 Enterprise Sata II drive, it should do 105MB/sec or 210MB/sec in Raid0 mode using 2 drives
DOH!!! That should read, 500GB to 1TB, sorry! (I did describe the RAID array right, lol.) Going off to edit.

-Tim

PS> Anton, but how about the original question? I don't need something that fast in this machine. 80+ was fast enough for the stuff this processor can handle. Would a modern SATA be able to approach this speed, real world?
Old 06-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #4
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneQuickSix View Post
DOH!!! That should read, 500GB to 1TB, sorry! (I did describe the RAID array right, lol.) Going off to edit.

-Tim

PS> Anton, but how about the original question? I don't need something that fast in this machine. 80+ was fast enough for the stuff this processor can handle. Would a modern SATA be able to approach this speed, real world?

yes, a single SATA will do that

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:29 AM   #5
OneQuickSix

Thanks, Anton. Was looking at the WD Black 7200 drives, but they apparently are really noisy now. I'm wondering if a WD Green will be just as effective. I know that a put a new system drive in a while back that was a couple of years old (I know that's borderline-ancient in computer years), and it is nowhere near as fast ... again, like 25-30MB/s.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:21 AM   #6
EraseAndRewind

WD green's are quiet but darn slow !
I just changed all my green drives (8 units from 2 systems) to WD caviar black and they are almost 3 times faster in sustained data through put.

They are not very noisy, normal like any drive, always thought seagate were noisy, but they do require good cooling as they run 10 degrees centigrade more hot on idle than the green ones.

Build quality is similar in looks from the green drives, they are different from the enterprise drives that Anton suggested.
You get what you pay for I suppose :)

Also all my portable drives are now WD black, 1TB Version for boot drive, 2TB version for data & video, all 64MB cache.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:25 AM   #7
OneQuickSix

Thanks, E&W. Guess I can try out the Black's (there the one's I wanted) and see how the noise is. I also know there is "acoustic tuning" software out there, but it probably sacrifices performance some. I know it is in the BIOS as well (at least for the system drive.) The ones in there now are pretty darn quiet. A chatty drive, DRIVES me crazy -- extremely sensitive ears. Thanks, again.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:40 AM   #8
EraseAndRewind

Acoustic tuning is there indeed, give it a try.
One more thing, as the green drives are ECO drives they park the heads every now and then, also the spindle speed is dynamic varying from 5200~7200 rpm, not sure if they run ever at top speeds (blacks always do, hence the heat).

The green Eco features are controlled by the drive it self, not by the OS, this is not usable for RAID ! it will give you lots of trouble.
They are however great for ' tivo / media player' kind of use, and of course cheap longterm storage, I use the 2 TB greens for 2nd safety back up, beats burning DVD's or BD discs in speed and price.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories