Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 01-20-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
Red Union Films
Banned

Default Edius 6.01 and Premiere Pro CS5 on the same system.

Hi all.

Hope this helps. I have done a test with Edius 6.01 and Premiere Pro CS5 on the same system with Vista Business 64. I have a HQX 10 bit progressive project with HQX 10 bit progressive source files, and export the timeline in HQ 8 bit and HQX 10 bit in both interlaced and progressive. All files where exported at the highest settings for both codecs. As an example the exported file sizes for a one minute export where as follows.

HQ 8 BIT INTERLACED 1.16 GB
HQ 8 BIT PROGRESSIVE 996 MB
HQX 10 BIT INTERLACED 1.49 GB
HQX 10 BIT PROGRESSIVE 1.44 GB

Prem sees all the files. It will play it's timeline in realtime with the HQ files, but needs a render of the HQX files to play in realtime. It also has no problem with the embeded stereo audio track. In properties in Prem it does not ID the codecs but sees them as AVI's, and does not say wether they are interlaced or progressive.

I know this is not what people have either reported or expected. The Prem was a standard install and I assume there is only a 64 bit version, either way it sees the HQ and HQX codecs. There is no gamma or colour space problems either. Going back from Prem to Edius 6 is another issue, as it does not give the codecs as an option on the Prem exporter. This can been sorted with an intermediate codec, there are many that Edius 6.01 will see.

I can't say anything about AE CS5, but will assume it would be the same.

This may be due to the Edius codecs being on the same system. I have not tried on seperate machines, but installing the GV/Canopus codec pack may sort this. Although I don't know if the codec package includes the HQX codec yet.

Like I said earlier I think Prem Pro CS5 is 64 bit only along with AE CS5, other aspects of CS5 are a mix. Even if there was a 32 bit option, I can't see this as a problem as it would at least give you the option to expand your workflow into the Adobe world. Have a Google on the subject of 32 bit v's 64 bit on the same application platforms, I am quite sure the results would not put anyone off if it meant concluding your workflow.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Dave.
Red Union Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
tingsern

The GV/Canopus codec pack is READ ONLY if you just download the codecs from GV website. Only if you install EDIUS on your system, then you have the READ / WRITE codec from Canopus.
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
Red Union Films
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingsern View Post
The GV/Canopus codec pack is READ ONLY if you just download the codecs from GV website. Only if you install EDIUS on your system, then you have the READ / WRITE codec from Canopus.
Hi Ting.

Installing Edius is not the only reason for full READ / WRITE, as the above example shows. Prem Pro CS5 at least, will not see the encoder section of either the HQ or HQX codecs, even with the Edius install on the same machine.

Cheers.

Dave.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
Red Union Films
Banned

Hi all.

These are very detailed test results to show that a workflow can be used between Edius and PP CS5. I could not find any other post with as much detail, and there does seem to be an on going issue of this type of workflow.

These results are just here to show anyone reading the forum, GV and Adobe users alike, that they can indeed use these two applications together for whatever reason suits them in an extended post-production workflow.

With all that has been mentioned on this, and similar subjects. It could be quite easy for someone to unfairly disregard the use of Edius in such a workflow.

Edius has many traits that give it a distintc edge over other NLE's when it comes to speed of use and formats etc. This thread's intention is only to show the flexibility of using Edius within a wider post workflow.

This thread is more of a statement and not a debate. So anyone wishing to intergrate Edius into the workflow above, or something similar. Please take this information as correct, and use it's findings to what best suits your needs.

I like many others here, use Edius in combination with many other post applications. My personal experience of extended workflows that are firmly based on Edius being the driving force, include working with systems such as: Avid, Quantel, DaVinci, and AE to name a few.

I can honestly say that Edius is just as valid a tool in an extended post workflow as the aforementioned products.

Cheers.

Dave.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
Red Union Films
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingsern View Post

Hi Ting.

Sorry, had another look and you are correct. PP CS5 will encode to the GV codecs, I tried the HQX. Not only did it work, but the round trip for the clip looked great. The file that came back had exactly the same colour gradiants with no extra banding, this does suggest 10 bit. Either way, this is a great result and furthers the use of the workflow. Thanks for the correction.

Cheers.

Dave.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS