Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 03-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #1
Jordan Berry

Default AVCHD & Edius Encoding Times

Hello,

I'm purchasing a HMC-150 tomorrow.

I've considered purchasing Edius to do my AVCHD editing.

( I will install the demo once I get my HMC-150)

I have a few friends that use Edius and convert the AVCHD footage to the Canopus HQ before editing. They claim that Edius is capable of ecoding in real time. And that with a quad core computer they can encode 4x files in real time (at the same time).

I realize there are a LOT of variables in this situation. The size & bandwidth of the source AVCHD. The output settings Edius is using. The computer doing the work.

My question is simple. If one were to build a computer that had 2x quad core CPUs would it be possible to encode 8x files at a time in real time. If so what would be some of the potential bottle necks?

I realize that this all seems a bit silly... but in my case time is everything.
Jordan Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
vortigern

Just because it would take too long I would point you to doing a search about AVCHD conversion times on the forum. It has been discussed at length and is on going. Briefly however the real time solution is incorrect with Grass Valley components.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
Ron Evans

I have Sony SR11 so comments are for Sony AVCHD files but they should be about the same. Time to transfer from SR11 to PC is about 20% realtime, converting to HQ is just under realtime so the total is about 1.2 times realtime. Using Cineform is twice as fast as HQ so total time is about 40% realtime. The Panasonic is flash so transfer should be quicker but conversion may be just a little slower if the highest data rate is used. You should be able to accomplish the Panasonic transfer to HQ in about realtime I would think.
My system is Q9450 quad core, 8G RAM, Vista 64.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS