Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 04-14-2014, 07:08 PM   #11
plmahlik

That's what it sounds like, that something changed. I'm re-capturing the 1st one now to see if it comes out with good volume like the first time I did it or if the volume is low. That should tell me something. I'll let you know what happens.
plmahlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #12
plmahlik

Default Volume

I re-captured the same video that turned out to be good the first time and I burned it to a disk and found that the volume level was low this time. I also captured a video from a DVD and burned it to a another DVD and the sound level was fine. So it looks like something changed between the 3rd and 4th transfer from the VCR to the AVDC-300 to the computer. But I didn't change any settings.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #13
dpalomaki

Also, if you can, play the DVD on a couple different DVD player/TV systems to see if you get the same issues.

Just a thought. Some feature-rich systems/sets might store different default volume settings for different sources (based on the last time that source was used).
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #14
plmahlik

Default Volume

I tried it in my daughters and it turned out that it had low volume there too, but it was the same model DVD player/recorder. I'll try another one or two DVD players but it looks like something is wrong with the audio going into the computer. In my editing program and when I play the DVD back in my computer the sound if fine. I could try a different VCR for the capture. I'll have to do some more experimenting. I don't know what could have changed.

Last edited by plmahlik; 04-14-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #15
dpalomaki

Tell us the full system you are using (makes and models, and software) for all steps in the process/chain.

What VCR?
What DVD player?
What DVD recorder?
Wha DVD burner?
What DVD authoring software?
What DVD burning software?
Any editing software beyond Premiere Elements?
What TV?
What DVD player on the PC?
and so on?
Old 04-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #16
plmahlik

I'll try getting all the info you asked for. I did one more test. I unplugged the ADVC for 15 minutes and then captured the video and burned another disk with the same results.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:33 PM   #17
plmahlik

The video goes from my Sony VCR model SLV-N60 to the ADVC-300, captured with and edited with Premier Elements 3. I use Premier Elements 3 to burn the DVD with a Phillips DVD+-RW DVD8701 thatís installed in my computer.
I have a Dell Dimension computer.

For play back in my computer I have a Sony DVD player model DDU1615.

My Toshiba DVD player/recorder is model DR 430 KU that I use to play back to my Samsung TV model UN46D6000SFXZA

The sound is great using the Phillips 8701 or the Sony DDU1615 both installed in my computer and also in my laptop, but very low volume when played with my DVD Player/recorder. My laptop player is a TSST Corp CDDVDW SU-208DB.

Thank for your continued help...Larry
Old 04-16-2014, 01:32 AM   #18
plmahlik

I got the sound to work out for me. I don't know why I had to do it this way but here is what I did. I played my VHS tape in a different VCR but with the same model number into my DVD player/recorder and burned it there. Then I put the DVD in my player in my computer and captured it with Premier Elements 3, edited it and burned a DVD using Premier Elements 3. I don't understand it.
Larry
Old 04-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #19
dpalomaki

This is a sometimes thing that was more common in the days of analog tape and VHS and may not apply to your case; i.e., mono vs. stereo and which audio track is used.

If the recorder used stereo inputs for the recording that are out of phase, there will likely be some signal cancellation and thus low sound level on the linear (mono) track. Mono (linear track) or stereo (HiFi) audio output is an option on the better VCRs. (Only a few VCRs offered stereo on the linear track.)

Capturing direct to a DVD recorder first, and ripping from the DVD may have worked thanks to audio AGC in the recorder that effectively adds gain and thus compensates for otherwise low level audio.

- - - -

Consumer AV gear is designd to "think" for the user (no need to set levels, white balance, focus, etc.). But some times it has bad thoughts.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #20
plmahlik

I get what you're saying but I don't understand why it would have changed after the third capture. I guess it's a mystery. The DVD player/recorder that I'm using to burn the DVD from the VHS tape is the same one that I'm using to play the DVD that I captured from the VCR into the ADVC-300 that's giving me the low volume.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC