Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 10-07-2011, 02:14 AM   #1
Snash33

Default ADVC 55 Red Status Light

I bought the ADVC 55, and this thing has just created one problem after another. Not only did it not cut on when connected to my Macbook that does have a 6 pin Firewire connector, I had to go out and buy a power adapter so it would atleast cut on. But now all I get is a red status light. I can select "ADVC 55" in iMovie and FlashLiveMediaEncoder, but nothing is displayed. I've tried changing my RCA connections multiple times but that doesn't work. The manual makes absolutely no sense when talking about the red light, so I'm kind of lost here.

I have it connected through the Firewire that came with the device to my Macbook (Model MB402LL/A).

If and when the green light finally comes on, if anyone knows how to set this thing up to capture on an Xbox 360 it would be greatly appreciated.
Snash33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #2
Snash33

UPDATE: By connecting the RCA cables from the Xbox directly to the ADVC, a picture shows up on my computer, but I can't see anything on my TV now because nothing is connected to it.

I have an HDMI cable connecting my Xbox to my TV, and I'd like to be able to keep it in while I record for quality purposes.

I bought an S-Video cable and connected it from the ADVC to the TV, but the status indicator constantly stays red with no picture while the Xbox is playing on the TV (the TV is set to an HDMI source). I think I have the audio figured out, but I just want to get the video working right now.
Snash33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
dpalomaki

The IEEE1394 (aka: Firewire and iLINK) specification is not very clean and tidy with respect to power provided on a 6-wilre conenction. Many devices, especiallyLaprops, do not provide a robust supply.

(From Wikipedia) "The 6-circuit powered connector, now referred to as an alpha connector, adds power output to support external devices. Typically a device can pull about 7 to 8 watts from the port; however, the voltage varies significantly from different devices. Voltage is specified as unregulated and should nominally be about 25 volts (range 24 to 30). Apple's implementation on laptops is typically related to battery power and can be as low as 9 V."

Thus it is not uncommon to need an external power supply with the 55, etc. Thank your laptop maker for this nice touch.

Quote:
I can't see anything on my TV now because nothing is connected to it.
That make sense. But I am not clear what you are trying to do and watch. Is the Xbox design such that only one output is active at any give time; e.g., s-video or HDMI, but not both at the same time?

Some TVs have a pass-through connection for video and audio. Does yours?
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Generally speaking, due to HDCP restrictions (and the various industries behind HDCP), a source device will not produce both analog and HDMI output simultaneously.

It's the same reason why splitting HDMI from non-computer devices most times doesn't work - the HDCP handshake for the encryption doesn't pass through the splitter properly and the authentication fails.

The HDMI+analog path might work, but if it doesn't, it's likely for the reason above.

Your best and simplest bet would be to run the analog out from the ADVC to your TV, assuming your TV has analog inputs.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:51 AM   #5
dpalomaki

From the manual:
A red status light may indicate that a Macrovision protected signal is being received, or one with poor sync.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC