Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 10-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #11
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

IIRC blinking Status light is bad. On or Off depends on what it's doing, but I could be wrong. (Remember, I'm not in support *g*)

Perhaps give WinDV a try?
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:42 AM   #12
dpalomaki

Per the manual Red Status Light = Macrovision or other anomaly, so red is not good for capture. With a not-protected VHS tape playing the status light is off.

Many commercial VHS tapes are Macrovision protected and would typically trigger the Red status light. When the Red light is on my system (as with a protected commercial tape; e.g., MIB) there is a black (no image) preview screen on Picture Controller software.

A Green Status Light means the standby feature is enabled and activated.

Did not see mention of a blinking status light.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
emmrecs

Did you do what was suggested in post #6? The IEEE1394 driver in Win 7 is, apparently, "new" and many firewire devices are not "seen" as a result.

As Brandon said, you need to change the driver to "Legacy". Post back if you're not sure how to do this.
emmrecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
antonsvideo

http://www.videoproductions.com.au/h...re-driver.html

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #15
Henryat1140

Default Thanks for all your contributions and assistance.

I am using the legacy drivers. Thanks for the tip though.

I was baffled by the status light being dark during normal operations.

Macrovision - I don't want to beat a dead horse on this one, my concern is getting the ADVC 300 going at all - I'll work on the Macrovision problem after I can capture non-protected material.

So to summarize:

INPUT: I am 99% sure I am feeding a proper analog signal into it - if I unplug the cable from the Advc 300 and plug it into a tv, I see the video and hear the audio. So It's very likely getting an input signal.

OUTPUT: I have substituted three different firewire cables, both 4 pin to 4 pin and 4 pin to 6 pin, so I am 99% sure the output cable is OK.

The unit is on, and the silver switch is in the Analog position and the blue analog light is lit

The Y/c and NR amber lights are lit.

Status light is dark

The dip switches are off except for #5 on SW1.

The computer (WIN 7) never sees the device; not in device mgr, nor in Pinnacle Studio, nor in picture controller.

If I hook the output analog side to a tv, I can see color bars by holding down the silver switch while powering up.

I really appreciate your guys chiming in and if it has to go in for service that's OK, I just hate to send it in if it's something stupid I am doing or overlooking. It DID work a couple of years ago, but that was probably Vista or XP.

Any ideas on what else to try before giving up and sending it in for service?

Regards

Henry
Henryat1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #16
Henryat1140

Default Another possibility - bad IEEE 1394 port on computer

I will also pursue this troubleshooting path.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #17
dpalomaki

Can you try the ADVC on another computer, perhaps a friend with a PC that has an IEEE1394 port.

Can the PC see a camcorder connected to the IEEE1394 port?

(Are you using a port on the motherboard or front panel of the PC? FWIW: I've run into a situation where the front panel IEEE1394 port was not connected inside the box.)

Last edited by dpalomaki; 10-18-2011 at 07:56 PM.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #18
Henryat1140

Default Substitution ideas

Yes, I am pursuing hooking the ADVC 300to a Laptop I have - that introduces two new variables, 1. The laptop has only a 4 wire firewire connection, and 2. It's running XP. Nevertheless, I'm going to try that.

As far as getting a video camera to hook to the IEEE 1394 port on the desktop, I have to scare one up - don't own one. May be able to borrow one from a friend.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Henry
Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #19
Henryat1140

Default Using the IEEE 1394 on the back bracket of the MB

And I checked the BIOS; Firewire is enabled in the BIOS.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #20
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

If you have a multimeter, can you check the output of the ADVC's power supply? Maybe the brick is no longer good. You'd be surprised how much power can be "borrowed" from signal lines alone, giving the impression that a device is on, but not proper operation.

If there's a Firewire port on the motherboard itself, try that. Often times Firewire ports on the computer chassis are either not connected, or sometimes incorrectly connected (one of the major case vendors once had the pins mislabeled for the front Firewire port).

Beyond that a "known good" video input, if you have one, will help reduce variables.
Unfortunately just because you can see a picture on a TV doesn't mean the signal is in-spec.

Note: "good" does not mean...

Video game consoles - these often have slightly-out-of-sync signal generation and/or Macrovision

NTSC tapes played in a PAL deck - most times these play NTSC 4.43 aka PAL-M, which is not supported.

PAL tape played in an NTSC deck - this just won't work

True monochrome device - this is a different signal type from a color NTSC signal, as it's actually 60 Hz, rather than 59.94 Hz. Most times you can only find these on security cameras unless you happen to have a recording from the pre-color-TV days.

Any commercially-produced DVD or VHS tape, as these almost always have Macrovision protection

A good signal would be:
Camcorder with AV out

Still camera with TV/AV-out cable

VCR that displays some kind of status screen (though sometimes these can be a little "off")

Signal generator

Computer with TV-out card
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC