Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 10-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
Xsummerx

I really don't know if the adapter I ordered has full handshake functions. I don't even know what that is.

Below is what was said about the adapter i bought (It does mention PDA and modem but also other devices). Now I am afraid that it won't work:

"Quickly add a Serial (RS232, DB9) connection to any desktop or laptop computer.

Ideal for connecting modem, cellular phone, PDA, ISDN terminal adapter, satellite receiver, graphic tablet, bar code scanner, label printer, GPS, packet radio, digital camera, card reader and other Serial devices.

Simulate the traditional COM port on most operating systems allowing the existing applications based on COM port to easily migrate and be made USB ready.

Small footprint with very small power consumption in either operating or suspend mode"

GrassValley_BH, if you think that it won't work, could you, please, point out to me an adapter that wil?
Xsummerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
dpalomaki

An alternative might be to add a serial port card to the PC. They typically cost around $15 or so. Be sure you get one that supports you available slot types and OS.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #13
Xsummerx

Thanks, dpalomaki.

I'll look into that if the adapter doesn't work.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #14
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsummerx View Post
Ideal for connecting modem, cellular phone, PDA, ISDN terminal adapter, satellite receiver, graphic tablet, bar code scanner, label printer, GPS, packet radio, digital camera, card reader and other Serial devices.
Sounds like that one will work fine.
There are two major (and a few minor) USB-serial chip manufacturers - FTDI and Prolific.
If you get an FTDI one, you want to use the VCP (Virtual COM Port) driver.

I have a personal preference toward FTDI since one of my device manufacturers explicitly requested their chip for use, though I've had equal success using a Prolific adapter with the same device.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #15
Xsummerx

Well, it is from Syba and the full product name is:

USB to Serial (RS232, DB9) Cable Adapter, Prolific PL2303 chipset

I do hope it will work.

I'll write an update when I get it and try it out.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #16
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

PL2303 is the common converter chip from Prolific. I use a few of them myself. I'm confident it'll work.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #17
Xsummerx

I got the camera connected to the computer using the USB-to-serial adapter.

The device manager lists the Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port.

But I still can't open the Evi camera control software. Now it doesn't give me a port error when I try to open the software but it says that there is no camera connected to the PC.

I don't know what is wrong because I had also downloaded another camera control software called BDLCAM, which supports the Evi D100. On this program, once I select the Evi Camera and the COM1 Port, it allows me to control the camera, which did not let me do before hooking up the VISCA cable with the adapter and being able to select the correct port. Obviously, this program recognizes that the camera is connected to the computer through the COM1 Port.

Unfortunately, this software doesn't control the picture effects, only the PTZ functions, focus, and white balance.

Any suggestions as to why the Evi series software is saying that the camera is not connected?
Old 10-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #18
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

That's very odd. Are you running the Sony software as Administrator?
Right-click, Run as Administrator - in Win7, being an Administrator is not enough.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:49 AM   #19
Xsummerx

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 64. I have had Windows 7 pretty much since as soon as it came out but I am still afraid to install it and lose stuff. Plus, I'll have to go download a lot of new drivers and there are a lot of software programs that still don't run in Windows 7.

I tried running as administrator and also running it in compatibility mode with every older Windows version but, as before, when I click on "Run as administrator", a little window pops up, says "No camera connected", and I can't open the software.

EDITED TO ADD:

After writing this, I tried opening the so called Evi Series Demonstration software, which I had tried before and wouldn't see the camera either. I am not sure why it is a "demostration" software or whether it is the same as the actual Evi Series software that won't open, but I don't believe it is the exact same thing because it wouldn't make sense. For some reason, now, this demonstration software does open if I select the COM1 Port and it does control the camera picture effects.

If I try to open the Evi series software when the demonstration software is already open, the error I get is that the Port is already in use. But if the demonstration software is not open, I still get the "No camera connected" window when I try to open the regular Evi series software.

Last edited by Xsummerx; 10-21-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #20
dpalomaki

Have you tried contacting the developers of the Evi software. Sounds like their issue if the demo works but the live release softwtware doesn't. Is there some form of registration-ware missing?
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC