Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 11-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
Jim N

Default KONA 5 in GVs future?

AJA have just released the KONA 5, https://www.aja.com/products/kona-5

Looks to have the specifications that I was hoping a mythical GV Storm 12G might have had had it ever been built.

GV, and I have to say, experienced integrators have let me know that there just isnt a big enough market to support an equivalent GV card.

I am hoping that GV can OEM this with comprehensive drivers so I can get a 4K HDR solution for monitoring, amongst its other capabilities.

This card would also future proof Edius for more sophisticated users looking at a 4K future. This deserves serious consideration GV!
Jim N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
Jerry

The Kona 4's price was $2,000. When used all it get's you is a preview, and not 4k 50/60p.
http://www.ediusworld.com/en/support...WMatrix-EN.pdf

So, along comes Kona 5 and it's $3,000 price tag. Is it worth that price to get just a preview device that will do 10bit 4k 50/60p(If that happens)?

I like AJA cards. They are the closest in quality construction to the GV cards.
That said, the Kona 4 card that costs $2,000 will get the exact same 50/60p functionality as a Decklink mini-monitor that costs under $200.
Neither support 4K 50/60p but they both support HD 50/60p.
If you are using the card for other NLE's that are supported, then that is something entirely different.

You can keep your fingers crossed in hopes of the Kona 5 getting drivers and 10bit 4K 50/60p support.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:50 AM   #3
Jim N

Thanks Jerry, I was alluding to an OEM arrangment whereby the card would be rebranded/packaged as a GV product with deep integration for its capabilities and full support for many succeeding generations of Edius software.

This potential option would be presumably far cheaper for GV than starting a new production line, and gives them an attractive option for high end users. Remember they did, or do have a super expensive 4K solution already for the Japanese domestic market. I understand your comments re the prosumer market.

Last edited by Jim N; 01-07-2019 at 05:03 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:16 AM   #4
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim N View Post
Thanks Gerry, I was alluding to an OEM arrangment whereby the card would be rebranded/packaged as a GV product with deep integration for its capabilities and full support for many succeeding generations of Edius software.

This potential option would be presumably far cheaper for GV than starting a new production line, and gives them an attractive option for high end users. Remember they did, or do have a super expensive 4K solution already for the Japanese domestic market. I understand your comments re the prosumer market.
Although that sounds like a great idea and more so for us Edius users, I doubt that, or anything similar, will ever happen.

It'd probably be seen as bad commercial practice for one manufacturer to rely on another for what is basically theirs. This did happen in the early days of NLEs where Avid would use hardware by another manufacturer, Pinnical if I remember correctly for their Madras boards and others relied on another manufacturers chipsets, C-Cube and their MPEG2 encoder chips as a for instance.

Another practical problem with such arrangements, possible direct competition not withstanding as all these manufacturers/companies are basically competitors in the same market. Is the possibility of the hardware supplier going out of business.

But as Jerry has said, fingers crossed that drivers may be the way forward in the future.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:22 AM   #5
David Clarke

There is no need to OEM it, GV always write their own drivers and support for everything. They just need to support it in future versions of EDIUS. But as Jerry says, I would be hard pushed to justify the extra cost over a Blackmagic card. Blackmagic are not brilliant but they are "good enough".

A customer bought an Intensity Pro 4K off me about 2 years ago and it went wrong. It is out of guarantee and he asked what is there which is better to buy. I had to say just get another one. You could get an AJA instead for a lot more money which may last longer but you could buy the Intensity a few times over with the money you spend on the AJA.

Avid do still rely on others for their hardware - their latest boxes are just special versions of Blackmagic ones (of which they make not secret)
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:23 PM   #6
Jim N

Default 8K now available

Interestingly AJA have just updated drivers to 15.2 for the Kona 5 and now is claimed to do 8K..

"8K capture/playback with AJA KONA 5 and AJA Control Room, plus support for 8K rasters within the AJA SDK"

On paper this appears to be multi generations ahead of Storm 3G cards in capability, if only the drivers existed in Edius for full functionality from this card.

I understand that BMD and simiar level products meet many peoples needs here, but we have 8K cameras at work and I remain convinced that full functionality from this card with Edius will be an attrractive option for higher end users.

Last edited by Jim N; 06-10-2019 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
Jerry

Even if you shell out the money for the Kona 5, it will more than likely have the same functionality as the Kona 4.

KONA 4 functions.png

Notice it mentions all items work as preview device. There is no mention of capture.
So, $3,000 for a preview card. I like AJA cards, but not for that price and lack of functionality.
If you are using other software, then it would be worth it.

Get a Decklink Extreme 12G. You could buy 3 of these for the price of 1 Kona 5.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:31 AM   #8
Jim N

I guess it is just a matter of time before we have a BMD Decklink 8K Extreme 4X12G version as well! Of course this will have full functionality for various NLE software packages but only playback for Edius if above is a guide. Edius does not want to play in that market?

Last edited by Jim N; 07-01-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:22 AM   #9
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim N View Post
I guess it is just a matter of time before we have a BMD Decklink 8K Extreme 4X12G version as well! Of course this will have full functionality for various NLE software packages but only playback for Edius if above is a guide. Edius does not want to compete in that market?
That guide is a little out dated. Originally capture was not supported, but when the GV I/O's started being discontinued, GV started allowing capture via 3rd party cards.

I don't have my Intensity installed any more, but when I did I could capture via the card, just like I could capture via my MX02 Mini MAX that I currently have up until Edius 9.31, or so the story goes, and haven't tried the MX02 since, (haven't had to capture anything in a long time. Edius still lists the MX02 as an available capture device in the settings though I have not actually tried since moving to Edius 9.1). I'm sure others will attest that the decklink can also capture. Perhaps an AJA user could comment on those cards for capture. What you can't do is RS422 machine control via Edius.

Decklinks and Kona cards do support machine control, but Edius only does machine control via GV hardware, which isn't being made anymore.

Machine control via Edius would be nice for those that have legacy RS422 controllable decks, such as TV/News stations and post production houses, but the reality is that tape decks are now really legacy equipment, so it's unlikely that GV will port support their RS422 code over to make use of the decklink or kona cards, unless TV stations start demanding it.
Edius WG 9.50.5351, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:34 AM   #10
antonsvideo

you can capture with the Matrox MXO2 with EDIUS 9.30 and earlier

there is no more capture from version 9.31 onwards, I have not received info on why capture vanished without any announcement in the readme

you can however capture with digitools from Matrox, but the captured files are not accepted by 9.40, but they work fine in EDIUS 9.3 and any version EDIUS 8 and any version EDIUS 7

you need to convert these Matrox files with third party software prior to opening in 9.40

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories