Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 06-30-2019, 01:38 PM   #31
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra427 View Post
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply.
The problem was Mercalli V4. I removed this plugin on the clips and replaced them with the buildin stabilizer. Now I get 100% utilization in Edius. Also in Cinebench. The difference I saw was during 100% utilization.
Do you think changing these settings will have an effect in this situation (full utilization of the processor)?

Chris
Hi Chris.

Sorry buddy, I'd not kept up to date with all the posts in this thread and that you'd found the source of your problem that was keeping the CPU from maxing out. Dohhhh :)

On the settings you changed in BIOS.

There are only a handful of Intel iGPUs that have dedicated 'proper' V-RAM, it's usually called eDRAM. It's only usually a small amount of about 64/128MB and is much faster than a computer's system RAM.

All Intel iGPUs share some system RAM, although those with the eDRAM also get a boost from that small section of dedicated video RAM as well.

The thing with the BIOS settings for allocating system RAM to the iGPU is that I'm not sure how accurate this is. The iGPU's share of system RAM, and I think more so with Windows 10, is dynamically allocated.

Maybe those BIOS allocations for system RAM are maybe a minimum amount and then Win10 just takes what is necessary beyond that minimum when needed from anything available that's spare that the system isn't using at any particular moment in time.

That's only an assumption based on tests that I've done where I've deliberately set the BIOS allocation very low to 32MB but the Win10 performance was obviously beyond what was capable of only 32MB V-RAM. That's why I'm surmising that the BIOS allocation may well be a minimum and Windows takes what it can, when it can, when needed without impacting the system.

It may well even be the case that the BIOS allocation is completely ignored by various OSs and is completely dynamic according to the OSs requirements and system environment.

Anyway, this is the long ways round to partly answering/observing what you are doing :) You may find that the CineBench results may only be within tolerance. I can't say for sure as I've never tried it but it maybe the case that a number of runs may result in different outcomes that are basically within tolerance. Or maybe the BIOS allocation does help a little bit, if it is indeed a minimum as I'm surmising.

Also, if you are interested in such things check out this iGPU Intel Iris Pro Graphics P580. I'm into gaming and stuff using Android running native on X86. Basically Android ported and patched to run on typical PCs and not on typical ARM devices. From what I've gathered so far, the P580 is the best iGPU that Intel made but is weirdly quite old now and more capable than any modern Intel iGPU.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:10 PM   #32
Cobra427

Hi Dave (and others),

The result in Cinebench was a sort of average of several runs. I am also not sure what does what, but I did see a difference. That is enough although I am curious why and how.
I think I will look into the Intel P580, just for fun (I am a curious type)

thanks.

Chris.
System: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, Win10, i9 9900K, 16 Gb RAM 3200MHz, M2 SSD 250Gb for OS and Edius, M2 SSD 500Gb for projectfiles, several HDD for archieving, dual screen Benq PD2700U, GTX1070, Corsair H115i Watercooling, E9.5WG, Mercalli V4, TPMG Authoring Works 5, Sony fdr-ax700
Cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #33
Cobra427

It seems that Mercalli only utilizes one core and not all the others cores. That explains the problems I have (processor when playing timeline not at 100% and stuttering) Maybe I should overclock just one core to make these applications faster.
I have seen 'complaints' about this on other forums and I hope this will be solved in the next update. Modern processors have multiple cores and software should use these.

Chris
System: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, Win10, i9 9900K, 16 Gb RAM 3200MHz, M2 SSD 250Gb for OS and Edius, M2 SSD 500Gb for projectfiles, several HDD for archieving, dual screen Benq PD2700U, GTX1070, Corsair H115i Watercooling, E9.5WG, Mercalli V4, TPMG Authoring Works 5, Sony fdr-ax700
Old 07-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #34
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra427 View Post
It seems that Mercalli only utilizes one core and not all the others cores. That explains the problems I have (processor when playing timeline not at 100% and stuttering) Maybe I should overclock just one core to make these applications faster.
I have seen 'complaints' about this on other forums and I hope this will be solved in the next update. Modern processors have multiple cores and software should use these.

Chris
Hi Chris.

If itís just the one plugin thatís causing the issue, Iíd be very careful about altering any of your system just to account for that one thing, if the rest of your system and Edius are working fine. The last thing youíd want if for any system tweaking to undermine other stuff, especially your main application. Maybe look for an alternative that works better for your CPU utilisation.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #35
Cobra427

Hi Dave,
Thanks; you are right.
The alternative would be the build-in stabilizer or add this one as late as possible and accept the 'problems'.
I think it will not be to difficult for me to overclock just one core from 4.7GHz to 5.1GHz. I am not sure it will be enough, maybe I will leave it as is. The system is stable.

Chris
Old 07-15-2019, 06:23 PM   #36
Jerry

You might get a miniscule bump with 1 core at 5GHz.
I don't think it will give you want you want.

Mercali is GPU driven. There is no way to improve the GPU percentage in Edius to the point required. Even if you went to an overclocked RTX 2080ti, I still doubt you would get the full performance you expect.

If you can overclock to 5GHz on all 8 cores, you may see a noticeable improvement. This also will not be the full equivalent.

Do you know someone with Premiere Pro and Mercali? If so, you could get an idea how it really performs.
It all comes down to Edius not having GPU assist.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:42 AM   #37
Cobra427

Thanks Jerry,

I don't know anybody with PP and Mercalli. If someone has information on that, please share with us.
I am still in doubt wether or not to overclock this processor. Right now the system is stable, but it ihas adequate cooling to overclock. I am not sure if there will be any real life advantage in doing this with my setup.

Chris
Old 07-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #38
Jerry

If the overclock is just for Mercali, leave it at stock. I found that the native stabilizer worked better on some videos than Mercali and vice versa.
It's a crap shoot.
Depending on the size of your camera, maybe investing in a gimbal would be a better option.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories