Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 11-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #1
Shakeel

Default Is it good idea to Overclock ‘Sky Lake’ CPU for Edius Pro 8 ?

Hello,

Need advice for something which we never did before, although we used several 3rd and 4th Generation Intel ‘K’ series CPU but never overclocked any of it, but as our new 6th Generation 6700K CPU with Asus Z-170K Board will be arriving in couple of days, a friend of mine suggested to Overclock new 6700K CPU, he claimed that he has overclocked his 6700K CPU upto 4.7 GHz. with Cooler Master 212X CPU cooler and having excellent performance, so I need suggestion & guidance about, should I Overclock CPU ?, do someone using Overclocked 6700K CPU ? is there any performance advantage in Edius Pro 8 ? thanks in advance…..
Shakeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeel View Post
Hello,

Need advice for something which we never did before, although we used several 3rd and 4th Generation Intel ‘K’ series CPU but never overclocked any of it, but as our new 6th Generation 6700K CPU with Asus Z-170K Board will be arriving in couple of days, a friend of mine suggested to Overclock new 6700K CPU, he claimed that he has overclocked his 6700K CPU upto 4.7 GHz. with Cooler Master 212X CPU cooler and having excellent performance, so I need suggestion & guidance about, should I Overclock CPU ?, do someone using Overclocked 6700K CPU ? is there any performance advantage in Edius Pro 8 ? thanks in advance…..
If you don't need the extra power then you shouldn't really overclock. If you need the extra power, you should really look at a more powerful CPU system.

The problem with overclocking is if you don't do it properly, you will damage your CPU or even other parts of your system. It's all well and good when you read about overclocking and the system gains. But in reality the system gains aren't huge.

Any appreciable gains in overclocking come at a fairly hefty financial cost for a serious cooling system. Is it really more effective to spend the money on the cooling, or put the money into a more powerful CPU system.

Most people don't want to admit when they've got it wrong, but people damage their systems all the time. I know, I've done it myself in the past and fried a CPU.

Only you can determine if it's right or not to do. But be careful.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:22 PM   #3
Jerry

I will agree with Dave, at least to a point. If you don't need the extra power, run the chip stock. If you don't know what you're doing, run the chip stock.

I respectfully disagree on these points:

1. The possibility of damaging an Intel Sandybridge, Ivybridge, Haswell, or Skylake has been greatly reduced with overclock presets provided by the motherboard manufacturers. You can also set the chip to reduce settings at specific temperatures.
If you venture outside of these designed settings, then you will stand the chance of having an unstable system. If you don't set a temp limit, then the fault is your's.

2. I have a 280mm sealed water cooling system that costs $130. I don't consider that expensive for a cooling device. Besides that, the noise factor is reduced as well.
Not only does this cool better than a high end air cooler with heat pipes, heat sinks and fans attached, it also allows for a more efficient air flow throughout the case environment. The water block does not impede air flow or put any undue strain onto the mother board due to gravity, as does a tall heat sink laden cooler equipped with dual cooling fans.

If you are familiar with bios settings and fan graph temp/speed settings, then you shouldn't have any issues. But, if you don't have the first clue on how to set up a bios, DON'T DO IT.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
Liverpool TV

Hi Jerry.

I totally agree with what you are saying. You're also right with the points that you disagree on. But you, like a number of others on the forum, are not basic or entry level users, but users with time and experience in their hands.

I would also respectfully say that anyone asking if they should so a something, in this case overclocking a system properly. Is probably someone who doesn't already posses the technical know how or experience to do what they are asking. Tampering with certain aspects of a computer may be straight forward, and even easy, for certain people. But, by and large, it is beyond the means of most people.

My cautious reply was only to highlight the possible perils and potential damage that could cause someone to lose good money and time. Let's face it, if system building, maintenance, tweaking, optimizing and time proven experience were simple. There would be no need for the likes of David at DVC, or other experts on the forum.

The important advice, that we've both given, is to be careful or don't do it if it's not within your comfort zone.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:23 PM   #5
JohnnyD

Google the h*ll out of your processor and board and add "overclocking" to your search. You'll find many sites that will have great info, like Toms Hardware and many more sites. That's what I did years ago, and never had a problem with overclocking. You can do it.
JohnFellersProd
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:57 PM   #6
Shakeel

Thanks a lot for your valuable guidance, Liverpool TV, Jerry & JohnnyD..
Shakeel is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories