Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 11-07-2015, 10:29 PM   #1
Maris

Default Picture freezing and interupting while VHS capture

Hello,
I am using ADVC110 for VHS capturing. I have an almost new LG LV880 4 Head HiFi VCR and a powerfull desktop PC. I use Sony Vegas 12 for capturing.

Everything seemed good with the VHS capture until I got an offer to digitalise 150 VHS tapes. I agreed and in oder to accomplish this huge task ( I am an employee) I set up a second VHS capture system at work using the same ADVC110 and LG V9800 6 Head HiFi VCR.
Here I started to encounter problems while capturing some VHS tapes with video frosing / interrupting. I brought these tapes home to test on my home system and everything was completely OK. I replaced LG V9800 with a Sony SLV-SE630 4 Head HiFI VCR but the problems remained. The video froses / interrupts with some tapes. I took both LG V9800 and Sony VCR home for double check, but the problems remained.
I connected the Sony VCR through a Panasonic NV-G200 camera and the same bad tapes were captured with NO Problems.
So here are my own conclusions: ADVC110 captures well with some VCRs and may not capture decently with some others. All 3 HiFi VCRs are as new, the heads are properly cleaned with isopropyl spirit, etc. Because the "bad" tapes were well captured by using the Panasonic camera I assume that there is something that the ADVC dislike in the incoming signal. I tried to use different DIP switch positions and different Capture settings in Sony Vegas with no changes.
So I do have conclusions but don't have answers. :) How many VCRs shall I have to test the ADVC funcionality? I did not mention that it captures well with a basic LG mono VCR player I have too, but I mostly have VHS tapes with stereo sound. I know I should have a S-VHS VCR with TBC, but what if it does not change things much? And why does my home system with LG LV880 works fine?
My coleque thinks that possibly these VCRs need to have adjusted the sync head in a good workshop. The sync head is in charge for proper video output.
I have read rather many threads in this forum but have not found a problem like mine. I would appreciate any help very much!
Maris
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:33 PM   #2
dpalomaki

Visit the forums at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/ for detailed discussions of analog video (e.g., VHS) capture, conversion, and restoration. The people there are somewhat obsessive about the process and will have clear recommendations as to equipment, software, and processes.

The ADVC series are good for capture to DV format, which is good as an original acquisition format and for editing, but less that optimal for serious restoration work.

In most cases a TBC will be necessary for best results. Generally you want a line TBC functionality in the player, and full frame TBC in either the player or externally.

There is a large variation in the ability of different VCR to read old tapes, and variables include the alignment and adjustment of the original recorder as well as the player's ability to deal with variations in signal read from the control track.

Frozen images sounds like the capture system is doing that to fill in for dropped frames.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
Maris

Thanks for your advice. I have been in the Digital FAQ forum. But I have not joined them. I will for sure search the answer there.
You may be right that the freezing is caused by dropped frames, but then why does Sony Vegas Capture Video show NO dropped frames in their dialog box after capturing? It allmost never show Dropped Frames even with the worst captures with lots of defects.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:34 AM   #4
antonsvideo

my rule is simple:

capture VHS = must use TBC

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:16 AM   #5
dpalomaki

May or may not apply to your gear, but some players will repeat the last good frame if they sense dropped frames during playback.

You don't need to join Digital FAQ as a paying member if you do not want to do so. Paying does give some additional benefits there. The main thing to watch for is that you decide how good is good enough for you, and as with all web site, not all who post are as expert as they may think they are.

Some of the analog video mixers of old, such as the Videonics MX1 and MXPro have an internal full frame TBC.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:52 AM   #6
Merlin2504

This is an old topic.
But I am now facing the same problem with an ADVC500. My player also has no TBC. Can it be that Canopus with playback devices without TBC can not cope?
My old system with Pinnacle Movie Box DV Firewire works without TBC?
Did you solve your problem then? And if, how?

Greetings Klaus
Merlin2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:55 PM   #7
dpalomaki

Some capture gear is less fussy about the input signal having sloppy timing (sync) than other equipment. "Professional" capture gear tends to expect a good signal while a lot of "consumer" class capture gear is more tolerant.

Consumer VHS is notorious for sloppy sync/timing and in general the best results come when using a VCR that includes an internal line TBC, an external frame TBC, and S-VIDEO connections.

I can't speak specifically to the ADVC500, but gear such as the BMD Intensity Pro are known to be fussy about signal timing.

Some folks have success using selected DVD recorders, some DV camcorders with analog input capability, or old video mixers such as the Videonics MX series as feed-thru for frame TBC.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:50 AM   #8
Merlin2504

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
I can't speak specifically to the ADVC500, but gear such as the BMD Intensity Pro are known to be fussy about signal timing.
But this is criticized in other forums. The BMD Shuttle is sensitive if the signal does not come clean.
So the same problem, as with Canopus.
Merlin2504 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC