Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 07-31-2015, 04:19 PM   #1
wthr13Photog

Default Edius 7.50.191 Hash Marks on Audio

I have attached a picture to show what I'm talking about.

This happens pretty often, and no certain action seems to trigger it.

I get hash marks on my audio, which usually signifies a crash, or "Edius is Not Responding" message is in my near future.

They only appear on a single track, and not the entire track. The hash marks are not specific to any one source of audio. It affects the entire track, or section of the track.

If I zoom in on he timeline, the hash marks go away.

Anyone have a similar issue and know why this is happening?

Our laptops are running i7 Intels and have 16Gb of RAM. I don't think it's a resource issue.

Also, all files are local and in the project folder.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HASH MARKS ON AUDIO.JPG (253.8 KB, 47 views)
wthr13Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:10 PM   #2
Andy

It's a nasty issue for some of us, whilst other lucky souls seem to have no problem at all.
Here's a longish thread which explores some possible solutions / workarounds.

http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/s...t=34153&page=6
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:04 AM   #3
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthr13Photog View Post
I have attached a picture to show what I'm talking about.

This happens pretty often, and no certain action seems to trigger it.

I get hash marks on my audio, which usually signifies a crash, or "Edius is Not Responding" message is in my near future.

They only appear on a single track, and not the entire track. The hash marks are not specific to any one source of audio. It affects the entire track, or section of the track.

If I zoom in on he timeline, the hash marks go away.

Anyone have a similar issue and know why this is happening?

Our laptops are running i7 Intels and have 16Gb of RAM. I don't think it's a resource issue.

Also, all files are local and in the project folder.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
your clips have strange names as if they were not added to EDIUS from camera cards the correct way via EDIUS source browser or via the camera supplied transfer software

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:28 AM   #4
Andy

Fwiw the issue has nothing to do with file names.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:59 AM   #5
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Fwiw the issue has nothing to do with file names.
yes it does, because the OP has loaded spanned clips that have not been properly joined by source browser, I can tell by the strange long file names instead of the actual clip name

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro

Last edited by antonsvideo; 08-01-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #6
Andy

I don't know Anton, you're an absolute legend and God in these parts, and deservedly so ... but I'm pretty certain that spanned clips are unlikely to be the cause of the issue noted by the OP. In my experience, unspanned essence files are each in and of themselves perfectly valid media files and do not technically require joining.

I have couple of (nearly) identical E7.5 suites here, one exhibits this seemingly randomly occurring issue, the other does not. Media formats / management / post workflow is identical in both. Whatever is at the root of this cross hatch of death issue it seems more likely that it's something conflicting at a low level.

Never say never tho.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #7
antonsvideo

can you confirm if you use a camera that starts a new clip every 4GB?

in my case using XDCAM HD 4:2:2 there is no file size limit on the UDF Sony SxS Pro cards, so I have never experienced the crosshatch issue ever since 7 came out and I still use it right now

this is why I am getting a feeling about improperly joined clips from cameras that split files at 4GB

Old 08-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #8
Andy

Yes.

Although not exclusively, the vast majority of the media files I'm working with are from C300 cameras i.e. it's Canon XF 50 M/bit MPEG HD422... basically the same as Sony's XDCAM HD422 format with slightly different audio wrapping. Long recordings are spanned across multiple clips where each clip file size limit is 2GB.

[ Last time I checked, if I import this media using Source Browser then Edius thereafter references the spanned clip using the clip's CIF file rather than directly referencing the MXF essence files. Unfortunately when moving projects out of Edius via the various available interchange methods (other than rendering out new media) then these CIF file references are preserved and presented as media references ... and other programs do not necessarily recognise a CIF file as a valid media reference. But I digress... ]

The point being, this cross hatch issue only ever occurs for me in one of my suites. The exact same projects and media when used in the other suite does not evidence the problem, not ever. So (for me at least) it's not the media, nor the media references, it's something system based.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #9
antonsvideo

hmmmm, I assume both PC have the same OS and same EDIUS version?

Old 08-01-2015, 11:52 AM   #10
antonsvideo

also, I assume nothing is listed as missing in the offline file window?

also, I understand that some users suffer this issue and the issue started when EDIUS moved from 32bit to 64bit, it did not happen before

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS