Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products

Old 07-23-2019, 05:36 PM   #1
trillium

Default H.265 / AV1

Posted a couple of queries about H.265 over the last couple of weeks as to why it hasn't become the defacto standard for streaming video. Didn't realize this codec and the AV1 group were in a life and death struggle over gaining market share. I should have known it was a greed issue when Microsoft asked for 99-cents to download the codec when testing H.265 on a couple of computers.

Wonder when this issue will get settled- Sony certainly screwed up the whole HD format for everybody and made sure Blu-ray would always be an inferior solution that would never gain full acceptance. They basically shot themselves and everyone else in the foot IMO.

Let's see how long it takes to get this issue settled, been going for at least a couple of years and I didn't know a thing about it.
Nvida 1060 OVC, CPU i7-8700 3.7GH
Edius 9.4
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillium View Post
Posted a couple of queries about H.265 over the last couple of weeks as to why it hasn't become the defacto standard for streaming video. Didn't realize this codec and the AV1 group were in a life and death struggle over gaining market share. I should have known it was a greed issue when Microsoft asked for 99-cents to download the codec when testing H.265 on a couple of computers.

Wonder when this issue will get settled- Sony certainly screwed up the whole HD format for everybody and made sure Blu-ray would always be an inferior solution that would never gain full acceptance. They basically shot themselves and everyone else in the foot IMO.

Let's see how long it takes to get this issue settled, been going for at least a couple of years and I didn't know a thing about it.
Thereís no issue to be settled, itís already been explained to you what the correct formats for streaming are and why.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:03 AM   #3
ulyssesvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillium View Post

the codec is good, but not that good.
ulyssesvideo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyssesvideo View Post
the codec is good, but not that good.
Itís got nothing to do with how good the codec is. Itís all about ratification and adherence to global standards for HTML5, with regard streaming via a web browser.

H.265 is easily embeddable and streamable, if you know what youíre doing with regard such things.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:00 PM   #5
ulyssesvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool TV View Post
Itís got nothing to do with how good the codec is. Itís all about ratification and adherence to global standards for HTML5, with regard streaming via a web browser.

H.265 is easily embeddable and streamable, if you know what youíre doing with regard such things.
yes but unfortunately... some people will not see it that way and use it for other applications... hence why is an ok codec for some and for others not so. if it works for you and for your application needs... then well done to you....
Old 08-03-2019, 05:29 PM   #6
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyssesvideo View Post
yes but unfortunately... some people will not see it that way and use it for other applications... hence why is an ok codec for some and for others not so. if it works for you and for your application needs... then well done to you....
This threadís questioning was specifically about streaming, and not about other applications of h.265.

My response has got nothing to do with if it works for me or not, or anyone else for that matter. My comment is simply technical fact based on global standards with reference to the question of the thread.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:02 AM   #7
ulyssesvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool TV View Post
This threadís questioning was specifically about streaming, and not about other applications of h.265.

My response has got nothing to do with if it works for me or not, or anyone else for that matter. My comment is simply technical fact based on global standards with reference to the question of the thread.
yes.. as was my response. there are some who will use h.265 for streaming applications... while others will use it for other applications other than streaming.
global standards or not... h.265 is a codec that will be used in different ways.

thanks

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products