Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 03-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
lancelewis

Default Digital Copies of Event Programs

I know this isn't directly an "editing question" so my apologies if I'm posting in the wrong spot. I run an event based video company and we do a lot of dance recitals, figure skating shows, and competitions of those activities as well. More and more people are asking about getting a digital copy of the event. I'm curious if anyone here has found a good solution to do this.

How do I keep people from sharing the content with all of their classmates (which would adversely affect sales) while at the same time allowing families to be able to share with grandma and grandpa (a reasonable thing to do)?

Anyone doing anything like this? What is your solution or approach to the problem?
lancelewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #2
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelewis View Post
I know this isn't directly an "editing question" so my apologies if I'm posting in the wrong spot. I run an event based video company and we do a lot of dance recitals, figure skating shows, and competitions of those activities as well. More and more people are asking about getting a digital copy of the event. I'm curious if anyone here has found a good solution to do this.

How do I keep people from sharing the content with all of their classmates (which would adversely affect sales) while at the same time allowing families to be able to share with grandma and grandpa (a reasonable thing to do)?

Anyone doing anything like this? What is your solution or approach to the problem?
I should insert a logo et also a running sentence as "Forbidden to duplicate" each minute, both changing of places. You can also export and validate the Timecode.

Quasi impossible to stop duplicating... this is the negative point of digital copy/paste.

Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.40.4896 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.
Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:28 PM   #3
dpalomaki

Short of using some form of copy protection on the media, which costs, and can readily be defeated by technically inclined people, there is no good way that I know of. Using watermarks and warning will help honest people stay honest, and add cautions about copyright on background music, etc.

Since the bulk of the cost is getting to the first copy building that into your fee structure - putting your profit margin in the first copy delivered (additional copies at near cost) - can help, and if the event is separate performances, do not deliver more than one performance on a copy. (Many if not most people may want copies of their performance, and not care much about others.) Also, look into having the event organizer pay for your services, build the cost into their fee/admission structure.

Some streaming web sites let anyone view on line, but prevent copying/downloading to other media.

The old VHS format at least had a lot of generation loss if copied.

What we have done with school some groups is build the video yearbook cost into their participation fee structure and everyone gets a copy (on DVD) at the end of the year. Additional copies can be obtained at cost if ordered in advance of delivery.

Last edited by dpalomaki; 03-18-2019 at 12:38 PM.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #4
Bassman

I think the only way forward is the flat fee, everybody gets a copy or access to the online product approach. This will take more communication and participation from the studio owners or event organizers but it has to be this way with digital media.

So for example, the dance studio would need to incorporate your fee into their recital fees. One positive is the per-person price will be lower than your DVD prices. No easy answers going forward...

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS