Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
Imagine Video

Default DISC CAPTURE wont capture DVD-R

I have used the disc capture utility for several small tasks with great results however I have just tried with a disc I authored a while back, Now I added copy protection to it at the time.

Disc capture will not allow me to re-capture it BUT I can capture it in realtime via Svideo using storm 2 under edius 4.5.

Surely as video editors we must be trusted to some extent? or is it unlawfull for GV to produce a product that will get around the protection on discs?

Its a school play IIRC I used macrovision to stop people producing a VHS from the DVD as they are inclined to do, well at the time anyway?

Any way around this??

Last edited by Imagine Video; 12-20-2007 at 07:19 PM. Reason: To prevent any misunderstanding!! I hope
Old 12-20-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
Khoi Pham

You want the movie studios to put a whole bunch of lawsuit on GV?
Go to dvdhelpdotcom and you will find all the tools to do that.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine Video View Post
Surely as video editors we must be trusted to some extent? or is it unlawfull for GV to produce a product that will get around the protection on discs?
Yes, it is unlawful.

Do also keep in mind that we are part of Thomson, a company that manufactures around 50% of the entire world's DVDs.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:58 PM   #4
Imagine Video

Please do not miss-understand me I am not promoting the deliberate missuse of DVD protection on commercial discs IN NO WAY!!

I am talking about MY OWN DISCS I have authored!! with my material on them!
Old 12-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
SRsupport
Grass Cutter Gold

How would Edius know the difference? That's the question.
For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net
Old 12-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Steve's correct - if you put a copy protection flag on the disc, DISCcapture won't discriminate yours from "theirs".

To be clear, the copy protection flag is different from Macrovision is different from CSS encryption.

In the end, DISCcapture will obey all three conditions, when instructed to rip.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:39 PM   #7
THoff

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe it is possible to create a protected DVD without going through the mastering process, outputting to DLT and getting disks pressed.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:44 PM   #8
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

There's a couple of things - CSS encryption is something that happens in the mastering process.

Otherwise, there are flags you can set for copy protection, which merely instruct DVD decoding hardware to see it as protected (and scramble video output, etc).
Old 12-21-2007, 06:51 AM   #9
Blast1

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoff View Post
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe it is possible to create a protected DVD without going through the mastering process, outputting to DLT and getting disks pressed.
Catch 22, If you have the copyprotect bit set a regular burner should reject it unless you can mod it, You need to use a authoring burner($$$$) and proper media or DLT then have it reproduced, you have to ask, alot of places will accept a DVD +/-R of course without the bit set
Numerous Ext eSATA drives & Raids shared between systems
Old 12-21-2007, 08:01 AM   #10
tingsern

Look for tools like "DVD Ripper", "DVD Decrypter", "DVD to AVI" - do a google search and you find it. Sometimes, we need those "underground" stuff to help us do legitimate work.

Once - I had a client coming to me - asking me to break the CSS encryption for him. He owns the DVD - but, like you, lost the original master. Only the pressed DVDs are left. And it was encrypted .... I don't have to continue, do I? :-).
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
Closed Thread

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS