Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 12-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #1
Liverpool TV

Default Noisy PSU on my Edius system, advice on making it quieter.

I've got the noisiest PSU in the world. It's not so much the fan but the air movement/noise passing through the PSU.

How does this sound for slowing down the fan?

I was initially going to use a resistor or variable on the PSU fan, but then I thought why not just swap the voltage to 5V.

The system in question was built to be as power efficient as possible. Although it's CPU is a 4790K, it's not overclocked, there's no extra GPU, and it's all SSD, no HDs or Optical drive. It was basically only built for Edius/CPU use.

The PSU is rated at 550w, although the system doesn't ever touch half that. At start up I gate max spike of 120w, nominal working load is around 80w, max stress with Edius working hard is about 170w, all measured at the wall.

The system is in a 2U rack case, and the PSU is a rack type, single fan mounted at the back of the PSU ******* air out of the system.

The system internally never even gets warm, so the PSU fan isn't really drawing warm air through the case.

Instead of trying to control the voltage to the PSU fan via in line resistance. Would it be OK to simply feed it 5V internally? I've tried it and although the fan/air movement noise drops massively, there is still a healthy amount of air flow and I can't feel any warming of the vented air.

Would anyone know if this would be suitable?

The obvious solution is a new PSU. But I will be building a new CPU/system soon and would want to be spending on a traditional semi-passive PSU and not one designed for a rack system that I'll no longer use.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:15 PM   #2
SoundFreak_HD

Cool

Most of my systems have always been 4U industrial cases loaded with fans, hence high noise levels.
While I never touched either the CPU fans or PSU fan, all other fans were switchable between 12volt and 5volt as these are ready available throughout the system.

I do need to mention that it always worked without any issues as my office (in Asia) was always fully air-conditioned, but while long periods of exporting / formatconversion I always switched to 12 volts on all fans .

I do need to mention that when running the system mostly on 5volt the fans wearout faster and get lazy early in their life and after a year or 2 have problem to start cold as it's rather low voltage and it most likely work better on 6 or even 7 volts.

I'm currently in Europe and only having a laptop so I can't test a full case, i'll have my reservations that it will work as well in this climate as in-house / office temperatures are generally higher than in climate controlled office space.

I would advice you to try with a voltage regulator with an adjustable output to properly control your fan speed vs notice.

EDIUS WG 9.52 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.

EDIUS WG 8.53
/ HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.

wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate
SoundFreak_HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:59 PM   #3
Liverpool TV

Thanks Tony.

After your suggestions and thinking about it a bit more. I'll probably just replace the PSU. I'm going to sell this particular Edius setup and upgrade, so the value of a new PSU will be worth it for selling on all the other hardware going with it.

I may even buy a desktop case so I've got more options on the PSU, and I suppose most people would prefer a traditional case as opposed to a rackmount. Actually, if I re-seat it all in a desktop tower, I can throw in my old Canopus HDBX system, as the card won't go into my 2U case anyway.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:38 AM   #4
antonsvideo

I use Corsair 1000W and 850W fully modular PSU and they make no sound at all

the fan is facing the bottom of the case and only turns on when needed, but even then makes 0.00% noise

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories