Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 08-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
LUCI5R

Default VCD Source (PAL/MPEG-1) to NTSC DVD Video

Ave,

I have some PAL Video CD's (352 X 288, 25fps, MPEG-1) that I wish to convert to NTSC DVD's. I have extracted MPEG-1 Video out of the VCD's using VCDGear.

Now I want to convert these MPEG-1 Videos to a Video Format that will allow me to Author an NTSC DVD. I will use TMPGEnc DVD Author to author the NTSC DVD's, but I need the Videos to be NTSC and in an NTSC DVD Compatible Video Input format.

Couple of questions I have are:
- Should I convert the source PAL MPEG-1 to NTSC MPEG-1 or NTSC MPEG-2?
- Do I need to use Program Stream or Elementary Stream
- Source resolution is 352 X 288. I don't want to go the NTSC DVD Standard 720 X 480 because I'll degrade the image too much. While degradation is inevitable in what I'm trying to do, I'd still like to use a smaller resolution, closer to 352 X 288 ... what NTSC Resolution can I use?

I'll really appreciate any suggestions/advice.

Thanks!
LUCI5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:18 AM   #2
Mr Bill

Quote:
I'll really appreciate any suggestions/advice.
As you post has nothing to do with Procoder or any other Grass Valley product,
your best bet is to ask this in the TMPGEnc Forum

Your post is off topic, as stated in the rules here.
See this link

Last edited by Mr Bill; 08-13-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:57 AM   #3
STORMDAVE

If the OP is using ProCoder, he can just load the MPEG1 and select a DVD preset as the target, it should work fine. It will look kinda bad though, VCD is VHS quality.
STORMDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
LUCI5R

@Mr Bill: I don't think you quite understood my issues. They have directly everything to do with ProCoder presets. Perhaps I didn't explain them correctly enough.

@STORMDAVE: The problem with a regular DVD Preset is that it doesn't give the 352 X 240 resolution option for an NTSC DVD, even though it is an acceptable NTSC Resolution.

So here's what I did. I loaded up my MPEG-1 Videos, and for target, I began with MPEG-2 DVD NTSC target, but specified "Generic ISO MPEG Stream", and choose MPEG Elementary Stream. Therein I was able to modify the resolution from 720 X 480 to 352 X 240 manually. Set all the other settings as per desire and hit Convert.

I was able to get NTSC MPEG-2 (m2v/ac3) output without any quality loss from the source video. Worked fine.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
STORMDAVE

That is true, I think that res for DVD is called Q1 or something in between, however to be more compatible I would uprez it to 720x480 (NTSC) and use a higher bitrate. In this case you won't be losing much.
STORMDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:39 AM   #6
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCI5R View Post
@Mr Bill: I don't think you quite understood my issues. They have directly everything to do with ProCoder presets. Perhaps I didn't explain them correctly enough.
I am quite sorry, I misread your post.

Bill :(
Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
LUCI5R

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORMDAVE View Post
That is true, I think that res for DVD is called Q1 or something in between, however to be more compatible I would uprez it to 720x480 (NTSC) and use a higher bitrate. In this case you won't be losing much.
The thing with upconverting the resolution needs a wider consideration. Seeing that I have a 352 X 288 VCD Source, no matter what I do, using it for NTSC DVD Authoring, I will inevitably see some degradation, loss of quality, and distortion. The key is to keep that degradation & distortion as low as possible.

Now, if you playback that DVD on a large, wide screen TV (as are most widely used these days... LCD's, Plasma's), there is bound to be distortion. However, normal size, ~ 21" CRT TV's are most likely to retain the best quality display of such a video.

If I leave the Resolution near the source resolution (In my case, 352 X 240, which is what I understand is known as Half D1 NTSC), I'm going to avoid or at least keep the distortion/degradation at its minimum on smaller CRT's, and even on large wide screen TV's. I'll actually be allowing the TV's Display Processor, which will vary from TV to TV, to upconvert the Image.

On the other hand, if I enlarge the image during my Encoding, to 720 X 480, I will generate the distortion/degradation within the Image itself and it is most likely to bear the degradation even on smaller CRT's.

Quite frankly, I completed the procedure last night, authored the DVD using TMPGEnc DVD Author and I'm quite satisfied with the results. I tested it on a 55" Panasonic Plasma (720p Native), a 29" CRT and a 42" 1080p LCD. The picture was as close as possible to the source, with almost negligible distortion or quality loss on both the CRT & Plasma. There was more evident distortion on the LCD, primarily due it's native 1080p rez which is a rather HUGE upconversion.

Cheers!

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder