Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 05-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
frenchFry

Default Canopus codec: Use it for all my DV footage?

Hello,

I own the ADVC110 and captured about 50 hours of footage to my PC using WinDV. The captured video has a FourCC ID of DVSD which I am able to decode using a couple of different codecs. Unfortunately I would like to use the Canopus DV codec for these files however it only decodes DV files with a FourCC ID of CDVC.

I know there are utilities that can easily change the FourCC ID of a file but I would rather simply have the Canopus codec be associated with DVSD. I tried modifying my registry to associate the Canopus codec with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32\vidc.dvsd but that didn't work.

What do I need to modify in order to associate my DVSD files with the Canopus DV codec?
frenchFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

If you're using EDIUS or ProCoder it'll automatically use the Canopus DV codec for decoding DVSD (Microsoft DV) AVIs.

DVSD AVIs are more universally-compatible since they are "known" by other applications and even platforms as AVI files containing DV data. The same is unfortunately not true to CDVC (Canopus DV) AVIs.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
frenchFry

Hi Brandon,

I only own the Canopus ADVC110 however I would like to use the Canopus decoder codec to open these AVI files. It works if I manually modify the FourCC code in the DV files to CDVC.

Are you saying there isn't a way to associate the Canopus decoder codec with AVI files that have a FourCC codec of DVSD?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Not that I know of... but Microsoft fixed the DV codec back in Dx8 or so, so unless you have a really pressing need to use the Canopus DV codec for decoding, it's not really worth the effort or added incompatibility.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
frenchFry

Hmm. Ok, well the reason I wanted to do it was because the Canopus codec was the only one that worked with my NLE and MPEG2 encoder for some reason. My other DVSD codecs seem to cause everything to crash during editing/encoding.

Oh well... Thanks for the info!
Old 05-19-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Ahh I see... Interesting. What NLE are you using?
Old 05-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #7
THoff

If you've ever installed one of those dreadful "codec packs" that are floating around the Internet, that may well be the cause of the crashes. Those "codec packs" take a jumble of free and not-so-free codecs that are sometimes conflicting and cobble them together in a single monolithic install. The emphasis seems to be on claiming support for every single audio and video format ever devised and outdoing the other guys doing the same thing.

You may want to get Headbands GSpot or Sherlock the Codec Detective and let them try to diagnose your system for codec problems. Fixing them may be as simple as manually re-registering codecs that are partially installed or whose registry entries were damaged by other codecs, or by unregistering and removing buggy codecs from the system.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:20 PM   #8
frenchFry

I have tried to avoid the codec packs however I did have ffdshow installed for a while. I have since uninstalled it and am only using Cedocida to decode my Type-2 DV files. GSpot does indeed confirm that Cedocida is doing the decoding of my DV files.

I am using aviSynth/VirtualDub and CCE Encoder in my editing/encoding process. This is just a home movie conversion project so I don't have much money to spend on more expensive tools unfortunately.

The problem crops up during the encoding process while using the Cedocida codec for DV decoding. When I modify the DV file to look like a CDVC file (and thus use the Canopus codec) then the encoding works fine.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:29 PM   #9
THoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchFry View Post
The problem crops up during the encoding process while using the Cedocida codec for DV decoding. When I modify the DV file to look like a CDVC file (and thus use the Canopus codec) then the encoding works fine.
And the same files play fine in Windows Media Player and make it through the decode stages in GSpot (using the 1-2-3 buttons in the lower left)?
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:32 PM   #10
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Last time I used VirtualDub, it loaded Microsoft DV AVIs fine - without any additional codecs installed. What version of VirtualDub are you using?

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC