Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 01-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
Mats11

Default ADVC 500 vs ADVC 110

Hi,

For converting old super-VHS footage to DV, I have the possibility to buy a secondhand ADVC-500 for about 1,5 times the price of a new ADVC-110.

Any comments on which one will do the better job are very welcome. I suppose the codec is the same, but analog circuits may differ. (The VCR is a JVC HRS 9700, which has some kind of a build-in TBC, named ”Digital TBC”).

PS: By the way, is there a more future-proof format to choose for archiving digitized analog video than DV? For my current use (DVD-production), I get two lossy encodings: analog to DV and DV to MPEG2. I never manage to reach the same video quality on the DVD as when playing the original analog tape. (MPEG Encoder is the one in Ulead Video Studio).

Cheers
Mats11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Unless your VCR has component video outputs or balanced audio outputs, the quality will be the same.

One advantage of the ADVC500 over the ADVC110 is that it has level meters and analog gain controls for the audio input, meaning that you'll be able to adjust your audio gain in the analog realm.

ADVC110's advantages over the ADVC500 are capability to be powered by Firewire bus (no AC adapter needed), audio-only capture capability, and compact size.

Archive-wise, it really depends. If you're going to output to something better than DVD later, DV is still better to archive. If you're archiving directly to DVD, then you might want to consider an analog-to-MPEG direct capture. It'll be more difficult and lossy on the editing side, but if you're not editing then you avoid the DV encode/decode step.

A better MPEG encoder like ProCoder will likely improve your DVD quality, assuming the DV capture looks better than the resulting DVD MPEG.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC