Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 01-28-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
David_T

Default Capture with RapVideo via ADVC-100

I've been using a DVRaptor card with a AVDC-100 (both purchased new back in 2002) using Canopus' RapVideo.exe v2.1.0.1 to capture VHS tapes and convert to DVD using Premier 6.5. I'm still using the same computer they were originally installed on but I have continued to allow Window updates through the years. I'm now using Windows XP Pro (v5.1 SP3).

When I start the RapVideo, I may actually capture about 3 minutes before the computer locks up completely, forcing a hard reset followed by a system drive scan. I've also tried starting Premier 6.5 today and it also locks up the computer now. None of my other programs cause any problems on this platform.

I don't use the capture setup very often anymore so I don't know exactly which "upgrade" is causing the problem. I probably used this setup about 6 months ago without problems, probably before the SP3 upgrade.

I guess my question is, can I still use this old hardware to transfer VHS tapes? Is there a more modern (free hopefully) capture software that is compatible with XP?
David_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
THoff

This may not be a software problem -- if the computer is that old, it is quite possible that a fan stopped working or is clogged with dust. After a few minutes of increased CPU activity, the system could overheat and lock up.
THoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
kbosward

One way to test if it is a hardware overheating problem is to run a utility like HeavyLoad for a while.

You can use the freeware WinDV to capture DV video.

Ken.
kbosward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:19 AM   #4
David_T

Thanks for your replies. It is an old computer but I clean the dust out of it every 6 months or so. I tried the HeavyLoad program and ran it for about an hour, no problems.

I also downloaded WinDV, disconnected my ADVC100 from the DVRaptor and plugged it into an IEEE1394 card. Windows XP came up with another program for capturing videos, Windows Movie Maker.

Same result on these two video capturing programs as I had with RapVideo and Premier. Either it locks up immediately (and I mean as Iím selecting the capture filename even before capture starts) or sometime into the capture itself. Longest capture so far is just over 3 minutes. Average is under one minute. Total lockup of the computer requiring a hard reset followed by a system drive scan.

Iíve tried selecting different destination drives, folders. Iíve updated my video driver, Iíve downloaded and installed DirectX 9c. Same frustrating result. None of the other programs I have cause any trouble at all. Only these video capturing programs.

This computer does have one other symptom that started after a Windows XP upgrade, it takes forever to boot-up. Five minutes or more. Once up, it seems to run fine. Iíve got the latest firewall and anti-virus programs running and current so I donít think its anything nasty. Iíve had trouble before with an anti-virus program fouling up RapVideo and had to turn it off before capturing. I tried that with my current AVG Anti-Virus 8.0.176 but canít seem to find the right settings to turn off the Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware features.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-30-2009, 05:24 AM   #5
THoff

Check if Windows installed the IEEE 1394 to Ethernet Network Bridge -- that combined with a firewall or other network features like Microsoft's ICS/ICF could interfere with your capture.
THoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
kbosward

Check to make sure your hard drives are still in DMA mode. Right-click on My Computer, select Manage, select Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, then for each Primary and Secondary IDE channel listed, right-click, select Properties, select Advanced Settings and check that each Transfer Mode is set to "DMA if available" and that each Current Transfer Mode is showing some sort of DMA mode or Not Applicable.

If any Current Transfer Mode is showing a PIO mode, then the hard drive is operating in its slowest mode. Sometimes it can be fixed by setting the Transfer Mode back to "DMA if available" and rebooting, but sometimes this doesn't work. So the surest way to fix it is to delete the problem IDE channel from Device Manager (select the item in Device Manager and press Delete). Then reboot, Windows will reinstall the device, then reboot again.

Ken.
kbosward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

It'd be good to run the drive manufacturer's diagnostics on your hard drive. Your hard drive might be on the way to failure.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:09 AM   #8
David_T

Thanks again for the responses.

To take them in order.

1) If I right click on my 1394 connection (via Control Panel - Network Connections) I do see a choice labeled 'Bridge Connections' but as far as I can tell it not bridged to anything. I do have ZoneAlarm firewall active but not Microsoft's firewall. I did try capturing with my computer isolated off the internet (unplugged the cat5) and disabled the firewall and as much of AVGs anti-virus software as I could but no luck. That's about as far as I could go with this response as I'm not sure how to check for ICS/ICF (or what it is for that matter).

2) All hard drives are in 'DMA if available' and are showing some sort of DMA mode or not applicable.

3) Ran Western Digitals Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Utility on my system drive. Both the Quick Test and the Extended Test passed.

The computer continues to checkout fine. The long boot-up is only mildly irritating as it does boot-up eventually. The only flys in my ointment are the complete lock-ups while trying to capture.

I'll continue to field any suggestions on this problem.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC