Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 11-09-2007, 12:21 AM   #1
Philip

Default Converting HQ to Canopus DV

I have a project that I want to start uploading but I haven't found out yet if they are going to purchase the HD edit. I don't want to upload and edit in HQ if I can do it in SD straight from the camera.

I was thinking of just uploading in HQ now and converting to Canopus DV. I discovered that I can use batch export to export to a Canopus HQ SD file with a high bit rate and a low bit rate. How do these two file types compare in quality to a regular Canopus DV file captured from the camera. Are they the same?
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:49 AM   #2
STORMDAVE

Canopus HQ files in SD resolutions have better quality than DV...and the data rate is variable, compared to DV's 25mbit/sec. HQ is 4:2:2 space and DV is 4:1:1. If your source is DV then you gain nothing if you convert DV to HQ. I noticed that 720x480 HQ files have a bit lower datarates than the DV codec.

Where were your HQ files from?
STORMDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:02 AM   #3
Philip

My HQ files were from a capture from my HDV cam. They were imported as part of an HD project I just wrapped up. I was using them for my test.

So if I imported as HQ and then used batch convert to down rez to HQ SD I would end up with a better quality file than a Canopus DV file with an overall lower bit rate....? Is that correct?

Unfortunately Scenalyzer won't read a Canopus HQ SD file. Too bad...it makes cataloging so much easier.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:04 AM   #4
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

As Dave's already said, HQ SD downconverts can yield better quality than Canopus DV, at the cost of two things:

1. Slightly larger filesizes than that of Canopus DV
2. Dependancy on the HQ codec's presence in any edit situation, and indeed, the ability to quickly print back to tape if required (HQ is a non-tape format)
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:13 AM   #5
Bluetongue

Hi Philip
I do this regularly. Edit in HDV and then output first to DVD in wide screen through Procoder 3 or it can be done with Procoder Express.
I then output in Canopus HQ AVI then bring this into an SD project in 4:3 and use the "Layout" function to crop the left and right edges.
Output can then be straight to the camera for tape, no rendering required, or an AVI file.
The reason for going to 4:3 and DV is this is the format required by community TV in Australia, lets hope they soon go digital and widescreen.
It is far better to edit everything in HDV and then down code to SD as the quality remains first class.
Hope this helps your delema
Regards Barry

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Last edited by Bluetongue; 11-09-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Bluetongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:34 AM   #6
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetongue View Post
Hi Philip
I do this regularly. Edit in HDV and then output first to DVD in wide screen through Procoder 3 or it can be done with Procoder Express.
I then output in Canopus HQ AVI then bring this into an SD project in 4:3 and use the "Layout" function to crop the left and right edges.
Output can then be straight to the camera for tape, no rendering required, or an AVI file.

It is far better to edit everything in HDV and then down code to SD as the quality remains first class.
Hope this helps your delema
Regards Barry
I know it is better quality to start in HDV or HQ and downconvert. Problem is I am ready to upload my next project and I don't know if the customer wants to pay for a HD edit workflow. If they want HD then they pay me a small fee to edit that way. If they don't want to pay my upgrade fee (and it is very small) then why should I spend all the extra time editing in HQ.

My idea was to upload a few tapes of longer segments, like the wedding ceremony, and if she doesn't order the HD upgrade just convert them to HQ SD later. I can let the convert run overnight if it is going to take awhile. Once I hear from her I can either continue uploading in HQ or start uploading in SD.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:46 AM   #7
STORMDAVE

By upload you mean capture, right?

If you already captured into Canopus HQ (HD) then I think it would be better to let the camcorder downconvert to DV for you (if it does it) in the first place...much easier on your HD space.
STORMDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:55 AM   #8
AJL14

Philip,
The main reason for editing in HQ and not DV, is that the final product conversion is a better looking one. If your client doesn't particularly care about the final quality, then whatever is easier and cheaper is probably the way to go. But the extra couple of bucks they will spend with you to edit in HQ will definitely be visible on the DVD transfer. Call it a "sales tool" or a "quality preference", spending 5% or 10% more to get the best quality certainly seems like the most logical decision after they've already spent X dollars to obtain the original video.
Good luck,
Alan

SYSTEM: ASUS P8Z77-VPro mobo, Intel 3770K CPU, 16 Gig Crucial 1866 RAM, Antec 1000W PS, EVGA nVidia 560Ti 1Gig Video, CoolerMaster CPU cooler, LG GGW-H20L BluRay DVD, SPARK card w/23" Samsung 1920x1080 Monitor, OCZ 240GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray & 3 WD Enterprise 1TB video RAID 5 HDD's. 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer2000 Audio Fader/Controller
AJL14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:27 AM   #9
pehrbau

This might be a bit beside the diskussion - but anyway:

I am working with a project that will be about 50 minutes. I edit in HD and have all source material in HDV from XH A1. When all is finished it will be down converted to DVD next year but will later - when the time is ripe here in Sweden - be burned to blueray.

I plan to save the edited HD version as TS on tape with the edited source audio but with no commentary or music.

The option for long time saving is to keep it on one of my discs.

Has anybody any views on this?

Edius Pro 8, Imaginate 2, Intel i7 950 , 12GB DDR3, 5 TB, Windows Pro 10 Creative, 64bit, Encore CS5
pehrbau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:33 AM   #10
Bluetongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pehrbau View Post
when the time is ripe here in Sweden - be burned to blueray.

I plan to save the edited HD version as TS on tape with the edited source audio but with no commentary or music.
I have the same philosophy, all my video's are on DVD but a fully edited version, same as on the DVD is stored on HDV tape plus TWO external USB drives in Native HDV m2t file, one drive is in a DVICO HD Player, all ready, for when Blueray or HD DVD becomes a feasable option. At the moment a burnt Blueray disk will not play on any of the players available in Aust other than a Playstation 3 and any possible clients think this is a joke.
Regards Barry

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,
Bluetongue is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS